Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York J1 Summer 2011

• 21-04-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello,
    I'm heading to New York City in June for the summer with a friend. Can't wait but i'm a little nervous about not being able to find work. Anyone got any advice? I've three years experience working in a busy pub so I'm hoping this will stand to me when I'm looking for work!

Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dannyman2010

Anyone at all got any advise?????

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Anyone at all got any advise?????

Danny, please tone down the attacks.
    if someone is in a similar position as yourself and reads the topic I'm sure they will be able to advise you..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Moving thread to United States in hopes of receiving more replies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

getting a job in a bar is very difficult in new york. theres high demand for these jobs cause the monies so good. craigslist is a good place to look for work. stay away from bar certificate courses as there a scam

Cheers paky.
    If you have any other advice, I'd really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Sie

Lenny wrote: »
    Danny, please tone down the attacks.
    if someone is in a similar position as yourself and reads the topic I'm sure they will be able to advise you..

OMFG! how did humanity reach this low?

take any job that comes your way. your best bet is to rent an apartment straight away as you'll waste alot of money in hostels.
    have u a visa?

no,im goin for my embassy interview next wednesday.where would you recommend to look for accommodation for two of us?

no,im goin for my embassy interview next wednesday.where would you recommend to look for accommodation for two of us?

i lived in woodside queens for a while. its one a few places left in new york that has an irish community. people will tell u that ''the irish will look after u'' but thats bollox. its a nice area and theres a direct tain that goes to manhattan. theres another irish community in yonkers but thats a good bit away from the city. u could try the bronx, but its a pure ****hole and has been overun by latinos and u dont wanna live there.

queens is a fairly respectable place to live and thats where i'd head.

theres one other place in brooklyn that has an irish community but its a good bit away from the city. u can always look for apartments in manhattan but im not sure what price you'd be talken but its a savage city and you wont want to come home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bootsmcginty

myself and my mate karl are heading june 16th if u might fancy arranging to hook up to share accom heard its very expensive.we have bar work lined up

• Advertisement

myself and my mate karl are heading june 16th if u might fancy arranging to hook up to share accom heard its very expensive.we have bar work lined up

we mite have accommodation sorted already,but ill let ya kno wat da story is in case it doesnt work out.jays yer fer lucky!hw did ye sort dose jobs out?

where u staying and what date u goin??my mate has relations out there who is sorting us with a bit of work

goin the 10th of june,my friend has an uncle out there so wer goin stayin with him for a while. was it hard to get the jobs?

it sounds as if ur doin the exact same thing as us.his uncle who we are initially meeting has pubs over there he actually told us to just get over and he will sort it. http://www.facebook.com/home.php thats my facebook if u want to mail me,be good to share any info or ideas!!

if searching fcebook maybe try seanh06@hotmail.com or email seanhowlett1@gmail.com

it sounds as if ur doin the exact same thing as us.his uncle who we are initially meeting has pubs over there he actually told us to just get over and he will sort it. http://www.facebook.com/home.php thats my facebook if u want to mail me,be good to share any info or ideas!!
    sorry if your on facebook,if you search [EMAIL="''seanh06@hotmail.com''"]''seanh06@hotmail.com''[/EMAIL] u should find me there man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭BWairsoft

Dannyman u find bar work yet?? Im in NY on J1 too.. lookin for bar work but cant find anthin! gonna start lookin outside city seems t be f all in manhattan..

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Article about some J1 visa holders New York summer 2011 experience:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Summer-in-the-city-for-Irish-students-123446284.html

Advertisement