Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Murphy's retirement in 2011

• 30-05-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

It was announced in 2009 that Frank Murphy would be retiring in 2011 as secretary of Cork Co. Board. I'm just wondering if there are any details on the forthcoming retirement?

Has the position been advertised?
    Will they wait until after Frank retires before advertising for his successor?
    Who will be in charge of the advertising?
    Who will be on the interview panel?

I am genuinely very interested in this, (not for myself), especially as we are in a time of massive unemployment and there are so many bright, well-educated people, seeking work. I look forward to hearing details. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Christy Cooney is supposed to be the favourite for the job - Cork GAA doesn't do 'bright' and 'well-educated' at its highest echelons. However, there is a second job available as well, a 'commercial director'...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/michael-moynihan/a-tough-task-in-store-to-lift-the-gloom-on-leeside-156253.html#ixzz1Nq6NPzJ7

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Rumours are that Donal O Grady is being lined up for the job, or maybe Christy Cooney after he retires, but I don't think either of them.

It will come from one of the current CB crop, I cannot see anyone from outside the current system come in. Ger Lane and Marc Sheehan would be two candidates I think.

they will have an idea of the person they want before they advertise any such thing - top GAA officials from Croke Park will be on the interview panel

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

Heard that alright about o Grady, but Ger Lane could be a dark horse followed by Tracy Kennedy, current east cork board sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Thank you to all for these comments and information. I feel it should obviously be somebody who has strong involvement with Cork GAA, yet one who would not be seen as being linked with the current set up.

I'm just wondering now has a specific date been set for the retirement or is it still a vague, '2011'?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I presume its the time of the county convention, October sometime?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

What other role has Frank Murphy lined up for himself then?

Surely he'll create a role for a 'Director of Hurling and Football' for himself before he leaves.

ondeball wrote: »
    What other role has Frank Murphy lined up for himself then?

Surely he'll create a role for a 'Director of Hurling and Football' for himself before he leaves.

Not a hope, there would be mutiny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Not a hope, there would be mutiny!!

Not at all....they said that before and he still hung on.:(

O'Grady would be a good man for the job.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Not at all....they said that before and he still hung on.:(

O'Grady would be a good man for the job.

O Grady would be wasted as an administrator, which is what the secretary is in all essence - O Grady should be appointed a director of hurling asap! As well as that, O Grady would be seen as anti CB tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

O Grady would be wasted as an administrator, which is what the secretary is in all essence - O Grady should be appointed a director of hurling asap! As well as that, O Grady would be seen as anti CB tbh

He sure would. The lasst thing you would say about him is that he was a Yes man.... whereas Walsh.....meh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

12 year old who the fug called for his head, 42 year old who the fug is still calling for his head.

I reckon 52 year old who the fug will still be calling for his head

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

12 year old who the fug called for his head, 42 year old who the fug is still calling for his head.

I reckon 52 year old who the fug will still be calling for his head

very true, but as we know the only person who knows when he will relinquish his power is himself.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Tracey Kennedy or Ger Lane are my tips for the post. Both very able people

slingerz wrote: »
    Tracey Kennedy or Ger Lane are my tips for the post. Both very able people

Ger Lane tbh, wasn't it only last year Kennedy took up her post in East Cork? Wouldn't have enough county experience in comparision to Ger Lane, another person being spoken about is Marc Sheehan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

If it won't be Cooney, then it will be Lane. Kennedy and Sheehan are under 50 and are thus ineligible. O'Grady wouldn't go near the job.

Orizio wrote: »
    If it won't be Cooney, then it will be Lane. Kennedy and Sheehan are under 50 and are thus ineligible. O'Grady wouldn't go near the job.

Where did you find the over 50 rule?

Where did you find the over 50 rule?

Up Frank Murphy sleeve

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Ger Lane wouldn't be too bad at all! He's doing a great job as PRO and the website and monthly journal are a credit to him. Don't really know whether he's a "Yes man" compared to Comical Bob Ryan and the other musical chair merchants under Frank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Not before time. Frank has done too much harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Gophur wrote: »
    Not before time. Frank has done too much harm.

It will be interesting to see what the future will reveal (post frank).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Frank Murphy retiring in 2011 eh lads??? :rolleyes:

You and I f***ing wish!!!

It isn't happening - reason is that he has been involved in the deal with the council negotiating about the sale of land for PuC - another excuse

It isn't happening - reason is that he has been involved in the deal with the council negotiating about the sale of land for PuC - another excuse

FFS

see post 12

:mad::mad:

FFS

see post 12

:mad::mad:

Yeah, there will always be something - current extension is for a year - below is the piece from the examiner on the 5th Oct

FRANK MURPHY is set to remain in his position as Cork county board secretary until the end of 2012 due to the fact that he is playing a key role in the county’s continued efforts to redevelop their flagship stadium Páirc Uí Chaoimh.
    Club delegates at a county board meeting last night were informed that the executive of the county board had approved a request from the three-man committee charged with overseeing the appointment of a new secretary, that Murphy be asked to stay on for a further 12 months.

Murphy accepted that request which was issued by the committee comprised of county board chairman Jerry O’Sullivan, vice-chairman *** Ryan and treasurer Pearse Murphy.

Details surrounding the process to appoint Murphy’s successor were also outlined to the club delegates present last night. A review of all administrative affairs within Cork GAA is set to be undertaken next year and will commence in September 2012.

But the process to headhunt the successor to the long-serving Murphy will begin earlier in the year, most likely in the middle of the summer. The search for candidates will involve the position being advertised both locally and nationally. The new Cork county board secretary will be selected from a committee comprised of a nominee from the GAA’s Central Council, a nominee from the Munster Council and a nominee from the Cork county board.

"We are very happy that Frank has agreed to stay on," stated county board chairman Jerry O’Sullivan. "We felt it was essential that he stay on due to the proposed re-development of the Páirc Uí Chaoimh. He has been involved in that process from the start and it is quite a complicated process. He is a very experienced man and has his finger on the pulse in that regard. So given the amount of work we have still to do on that, we felt it was important to have him stay involved. There is a process laid down now to find his successor and we will work hard at that next year."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Frank Murphy is staying for another year.

old-man-laughing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37 olearyj1

Cant believe this news has been taken so low key, i'm currently outside the country so whats the reaction been to this news from cork gaa supporters?

olearyj1 wrote: »
    Cant believe this news has been taken so low key, i'm currently outside the country so whats the reaction been to this news from cork gaa supporters?

This happened about two and a half weeks ago - thats why its so low key atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

I seem to remember a number of years ago that Frank Murphy made a promise to the people of Cork and the players that he would resign in 2011. People thought that he had so much power that he would never go but when this public statement was made, then it was believed by most that 2011 it was. Then again, this is Frank Murphy we're talking about.

Yes. You've guessed it. We're now almost half way through 2012 and you might think that Frank Murphy's successor is well settled into the position. Well, THINK AGAIN!! Frank is still there and there really is no excuse for this behaviour. DOES A PROMISE MEAN ANYTHING ANYMORE??

Excuses about the redevelopment of Páirc Uí Chaíomh, time being needed to find a successor or whatever, are just rubbish and merely EXCUSES. This man is 68 years old, he wrote his own contract, nobody knows what he earns. Where is the accountability in all of this? This is 2012, not the 1960s. We're supposed to have opened up. People are castigating the church and members of the clergy for being secretive and not being upfront and honest. All of the clergy have been taken down from their pedestal. If this is the rule of thumb being used, should it not be used for people like Frank also? There is absolutely no openness, no transparency, no accountability. He seems to have surrounded himself with 'YES' men.

Perhaps I'm totally wrong. Perhaps Frank intends resigning quietly next month, without any fuss. Perhaps he wants to go quietly and has stayed on for an extra year for the benefit of us all.

I have one question, 'What is the retirement date of Frank Murphy?' All I know is that he has broken a promise he made in 2009, when he promised he would retire in 2011. The EXCUSE that was given at that time was that it would take until then to find a successor. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

surely the total for the full time officers' salaries are printed in the yearly accounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

The phrase "cold dead hands" springs to mind.

Also "you come at the king you, best not miss" - a lot of people probably afraid to do anything to "prompt" Frank along.

If I was working in the Cork Examiner/Echo I'd raise this every month/with various Cork GAA county board people just for the laugh to see the squirming responses.

If I had to guess, I'd say Frank will finally "retire" some time around the first man landing on Mars.

Advertisement