Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travelling to Hyderabad - India.

Options
  • 02-03-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm scheduled to travel to Hyderabad in mid April.

Looking for advice...........

Travel - Looks like the Etihad option Dub-Abu Dhabi-Hyderabad is the easiest route?

Hotel - Booked into Ista hotel.

Injections?

Food?

Things to do?

Things to avoid?

Things to bring?

Other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

get ready for the hottttt weather..hyderabad can peak upto 45deg(other can confirm).
    etihad has the best option. lufthansa can fine too via frankfurt or BA via london.
    indian food in hyd can be spicy..watch out.
    big restaurant do serve international breakfast and meals.
    there are McD, pizza huts with an indian flavour to the food.
    drink loads and loads of water to avoid dehydration.

if you are going there for work, i hope the hotel is close to ur work place. also i assume you will be getting a rented car with a driver. if not make sure you use a taxi.
    but pls do use rickshaw and bus for the sake of an experience. you will love it :-)
    there are shared rickshaws where a group of people sit together.

watch a cricket game if possible. indian premier league should be on during april.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Got the shots off the doc this week! One in each arm - sore arms for 3 days!

Thanks for the update. Staying in a nice hotel near the IT Park. I'm told that it will be 40degs!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 20carrolls

Golfbgud , how was Hyderabad, going there myself in June, interested to hear how you found it?

20carrolls wrote: »
    Golfbgud , how was Hyderabad, going there myself in June, interested to hear how you found it?

Survived the trip although it was only 1 week. Didn't get to the centre as the work place was only 10 mins from the Ista Hotel. Found the airport a bit daunting on arrival - hundreds of people everywhere even though it was 4am?

Strict security measures at hotel was a bit odd - checking underneath taxi with mirrors, running bags through a security check same as airport scanners.

Hotel was good and meals in hotels were good with plenty of choice.

Temp was hot - 30's daily.

Bit of culture shock - 4* hotel and then outside were manmade huts from sheets of galvanise.

Had to lower the hygiene standards a good bit once we left hotel. Not for the faint hearted!

I stuck to the water advice and washing hands frequently etc. Stayed healthy and avoided the deli belly!

I found the malaria tabs were making me unwell so I gave up on them too before the end of the week!

Went to a nearby shopping mall one morning (they don't open till 11am which is a pain) but I was disappointed with the prices and quality. Came out with nothing after making the trip!

Passed by a massive Microsoft campus each day on way to DLF Center - it was huge and all on one site!

It was an experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 20carrolls

Thanks for the info. Was it handy to get a taxi from airport to your hotel at that time? The guys we are going to meet asked if we needed them to arrange transport which i thought was a bit odd?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. Was it handy to get a taxi from airport to your hotel at that time? The guys we are going to meet asked if we needed them to arrange transport which i thought was a bit odd?

I got the hotel to arrange a pickup. The airport was hopping at that hour which I thought was mad! Apparently all the international flights arrive in early morning. I would have something arranged in advance if it's your first time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

it is common for the office to arrange taxi/hotel/office pick up. if the hotel is not arranging airport pick up, i would suggest you to take your indian office offer.
    people have got rented cars with drivers till their stay in india. lucky them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Also to note is that your driver won't be allowed into the airport (nobody who isn't travelling is) - so you'll need to leave the terminal which is a bit hectic, especially at 3am :)

Advertisement