Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H Fitness Thread

• 23-05-2011 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Thought I'd start this to see how C&Hers keep fit and how they exercise in general.

On a personal level, I've managed to go from 16st.3lbs to 13st.6lbs in 4 months or so.

I did this through a combination of healthy eating and exercise in various forms.

So, I'm very fit at the moment and it feels great, can't see myself ever putting on much weight again with any luck.

So, I'd love to hear how you guys do it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Your weight has nothing to do with your fitness. I'd be one of the heaviest lads in my hurling team, but I'd also be one of the fittest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Your weight has nothing to do with your fitness. I'd be one of the heaviest lads in my hurling team, but I'd also be one of the fittest.

Ah I know that. Losing the weight has allowed me to run faster and has made me endure more and has improved my agility though.

I'll be bulking up a few pounds to get stronger. I'm too lean at the moment for my height!

I do get your point. My BMI is 24.4 at the moment. Apparently I'm an ideal weight for my height but if I put on a few pounds in the gym it's not really going to matter. It can be deceptive.

Can be checked here!

http://uk.health.lifestyle.yahoo.net/body_mass_index_calculator.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Can't say I'm in the peak of my life fitness wise, college has made me a lot less active. I also eat a lot of junk food. Don't think I've ever weighed over 10 stone though, and I start to feel kind of crap if I wallow in lethargy for too long, so I'll probably work off a lot of the last year's laziness during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

flyswatter wrote: »
    Ah I know that. Losing the weight has allowed me to run faster and has made me endure more and has improved my agility though.

I'll be bulking up a few pounds to get stronger. I'm too lean at the moment for my height!

I do get your point. My BMI is 24.4 at the moment. Apparently I'm an ideal weight for my height but if I put on a few pounds in the gym it's not really going to matter. It can be deceptive.

Can be checked here!

http://uk.health.lifestyle.yahoo.net/body_mass_index_calculator.aspx
    TBH that BMI calculator would be shockingly inaccurate. Youd need almost every part of your body measured for an accurate one. I really wouldnt read too much into it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Thought I'd start this to see how C&Hers keep fit and how they exercise in general.

On a personal level, I've managed to go from 16st.3lbs to 13st.6lbs in 4 months or so.

I did this through a combination of healthy eating and exercise in various forms.

So, I'm very fit at the moment and it feels great, can't see myself ever putting on much weight again with any luck.

So, I'd love to hear how you guys do it!
    Summer is when I plan on losing my weight, any exercise suggestions? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can't say I'm in the peak of my life fitness wise, college has made me a lot less active. I also eat a lot of junk food. Don't think I've ever weighed over 10 stone though, and I start to feel kind of crap if I wallow in lethargy for too long, so I'll probably work off a lot of the last year's laziness during the summer.

To quote my current Facebook status:
    Off the booze for the next 4-6 weeks. Probably cutting back on chips, pizza and pasta as well. Anybody want to join me on a health-kick? Yeah, didn't think so...

I got down to an even 13 stone last month, then lost focus and put back on about 6 lbs. I should really be a stone lighter than I am, if I want to play Gaelic football at a decent level. The next month is going to hurt. :(

I got down to an even 13 stone last month, then lost focus and put back on about 6 lbs. I should really be a stone lighter than I am, if I want to play Gaelic football at a decent level. The next month is going to hurt. :(
    I know that feeling. I've a competition in a month.Currently a little over 70kg and I have to weigh in at 65. This month is gonna suuuuuuuuuck!!:(

Right, I'm a fairly large bloke, but I've always played Prop in rugby, never had the incentive to lose the weight, now.. Well now I want to, any basic suggestions for me lads?
    Appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

marko93 wrote: »
    Right, I'm a fairly large bloke, but I've always played Prop in rugby, never had the incentive to lose the weight, now.. Well now I want to, any basic suggestions for me lads?
    Appreciate it!

Cycling worked for me. Doesnt require too much effort, and I found it to be better than going for a walk. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Appreciate it!

Changing the diet is the first thing to do. You'll get some great advice on the Fitness Forum. Usually you'll be told to work out your maintenance calorie count, and reduce it by about 10%. It's hard to maintain, but anything worth doing is worth doing properly. Once you've reached your target weight, readjust your diet again to maintain that weight.

As for exercise? If you're not in regular training, then work out a running programme. C25k is recommended a lot, but you could well be able to run five km anyway from your rugby training. Get yourself exercising three days a week. That means until you're working up a sweat! Any day you're not training, go for a walk for an hour. As screaminmidget said, cycling is great as well.

Oh, and it's always much easier said than done. :o I know exactly what I should be doing, but I keep losing the motivation to do it. Having a friend and/or training partner can help sort that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I would just like to say to the current sixth year C&Hers the "Freshman Fifteen" is REAL and it's scary.

So currently I'm trying to undo the damage of first year. Started calorie counting and going to start the couch to 5k this week. I really want to try roller derby next year it looks like so much fun and an excellent way to keep fit.

Oh just to say that www.fitday.com is a great website for keeping count of your calories, activities and weight. It gives you an estimate of the calorie restriction you should be aiming for when trying to reach your goal weight in a certain amount of time. I'm finding it really useful.

Appreciate it!

Go to the gym three times a week I'd suggest and do a full body workout, don't concentrate on one area. Cycling is good and swimming is excellent too.

Haven't done that in a while, always enjoyed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Eat properly, lift stuff and move around. Amazingly simple. Simple rule of thumb is that if the food isn't visible when being bought it'd generally bad. There are exceptions both ways obviously but common sense is all that's needed.

...Says the lad who's 23 stone. :pac:

Changing the diet is the first thing to do. You'll get some great advice on the Fitness Forum. Usually you'll be told to work out your maintenance calorie count, and reduce it by about 10%. It's hard to maintain, but anything worth doing is worth doing properly. Once you've reached your target weight, readjust your diet again to maintain that weight.

As for exercise? If you're not in regular training, then work out a running programme. C25k is recommended a lot, but you could well be able to run five km anyway from your rugby training. Get yourself exercising three days a week. That means until you're working up a sweat! Any day you're not training, go for a walk for an hour. As screaminmidget said, cycling is great as well.

Oh, and it's always much easier said than done. :o I know exactly what I should be doing, but I keep losing the motivation to do it. Having a friend and/or training partner can help sort that out.
    I'm not keen on walking, i used to be on a serious weight loss programme that involved 5 miles a day. Hated it, is there any rule of thumb for converting it into a cycle? :)
    In saying that, I'd be willing to try that C25k thing.
    I will be your friend/motivational person/thing, once my leaving is done and dusted :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the help
    Go to the gym three times a week I'd suggest and do a full body workout, don't concentrate on one area. Cycling is good and swimming is excellent too.

Haven't done that in a while, always enjoyed that.
    I'll extend my membership so, and see what i can do.
    amacachi wrote: »
    Eat properly, lift stuff and move around. Amazingly simple. Simple rule of thumb is that if the food isn't visible when being bought it'd generally bad. There are exceptions both ways obviously but common sense is all that's needed.

...Says the lad who's 23 stone. :pac:
    hahahaha, 23 stone of muscle :cool:
    I'll keep all this in mind.

I guess my biggest problem is my diet and what I eat.. I seem to have virtually no will power in this area, i even drink bucket loads of booze on night outs. Any advice or tips to change this? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The most important thing is to do something. Get over to the Fitness forum here and check out the stickies, plenty of info for workouts and diet.
    The thing is with lifting weights is that you're not going to get massive unless you're eating a lot, it's also a good way to burn calories and increased strength is never bad. :pac: The key IMO is not to hurry. Keep track of what you're eating and if you're working out plenty it should be easy to increase or decrease your intake depending on whether you feel you're losing weight too quickly or slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I've been meaning to start something. I tried to start last week, downloaded miCoach (adidas workout helper) and completed the assessment run in it last Tuesday (12 minutes). Haven't done another since. :o

C25K sounds good, think I've heard of that before but never looked into it, now might be the time.

I'd of a small build, 58kg (9.1 stone), 164cm (5'4") and my BMI is 21.8 (more or less perfect) but the problem is that that weight should be caused by muscle and it isn't. I amn't fat but I have a bit of meat on my bones and I would like to change that and be more toned.

Think I might pick up that miCoach and go for a run again. :P

I'm not keen on walking, i used to be on a serious weight loss programme that involved 5 miles a day. Hated it, is there any rule of thumb for converting it into a cycle? :)
    In saying that, I'd be willing to try that C25k thing.
    I will be your friend/motivational person/thing, once my leaving is done and dusted :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the help

35 minutes of hard cycling will help you burn about 250 kcal. It may be easier to break that into two separate sections. Maybe cycle to your gym and back, or to school/college. Actually, how old are you? If you don't mind me asking. :)
    I guess my biggest problem is my diet and what I eat.. I seem to have virtually no will power in this area, i even drink bucket loads of booze on night outs. Any advice or tips to change this? :o

Will power is the only answer. If you want something enough, you will make the effort. Booze can cause a couple of problems. High calorie count; water retention; eating fast-food for soakage; hang-over getting in the way of training the day after; reduced motivation. Usually you can have a few drinks and still manage to train/eat healthily. But if you're totally over-doing it, there's no real quick-fix apart from cutting back.

I'm 18 :)
    Well that makes sense, hmm, this is worth a try, oh C&H how you inspire thee!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Cycling is great, I used to be really into it. Would have done quite a few cycles of between 80-140km (not very fast, I just enjoyed doing them even if I was gone for about 4-5 hours :o ).

What with college and living away from home (and my bike) and just general laziness I haven't cycled in ages. Went out last week and not only did I find 16km a challenge, my average speed was lower than it used to be on the much longer cycles. I was heading out on the bike this morning to cycle to Tesco but the wind was ridiculous so I bitched out and drove.

But the good thing about cycling is that you can up the mileage quickly - whereas with running, you have to be very careful about how quick you progress - increase the mileage too quickly and you will have knee pains and shin splints - it needs to be done gradually. The same could be said for cycling of course but cycling has less impact on your joints than running, as you aren't constantly putting more than your body weight's impact on your joints.

Always do stretches too, legs, arms, hips etc.

Prevents injuries for sports and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

To quote my current Facebook status:

What we need is another stint on Inis Oirr I think! That summer was probably the fittest I've ever been.

I don't drink much beer and I'm not in regular contact with stuff like chips or pizza. It's biscuits and sweets that are my main vice. I'd say a few weeks of cycling and jogging during June will put me back on track.

Exactly 70kg on the scales today.
    5kg in 4 weeks..........this is gonna be fun

I've been 13 stone 6lbs for the past 4/5 days.

I can't recommend that Maximuscle Whey Protein enough, gets serious results. I think the cycle is complete at this stage though so I'll lay off it for a while and might even sell it eventually.

For my height and build, this seems to be the lowest I'm going to get to.

I need to work on bulking up and definition now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm hopelessly unfit. Keep telling myself I'm gonna change it but never do. I can't swim and hate cycling, so my options are kina limited. I'd like to take up running at some point but don't have a clue where to begin.

Tbh I couldn't care less about building muscle or being stronger or whatever; I just wish I was skinnier. :( I go through periods where I lose a little bit of weight but it always finds a way of creeping back up on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I'm hopelessly unfit. Keep telling myself I'm gonna change it but never do. I can't swim and hate cycling, so my options are kina limited. I'd like to take up running at some point but don't have a clue where to begin.

Tbh I couldn't care less about building muscle or being stronger or whatever; I just wish I was skinnier. :( I go through periods where I lose a little bit of weight but it always finds a way of creeping back up on me.

I'd seriously recommend weight training in any case where fat loss is wanted.

The way I got myself running was by literally just going out and doing it one day. I had no real intention of getting fit but somehow got myself out to do it. After that, I pretty much ran every single night without thinking about it. I ****ed up my feet a year later though and haven't gotten back into it.

So maybe drop whatever you're doing and go for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I did a mixture of boxing training and general gym work (swimming, cycling, treadmills, weights) this year to keep fit. The boxing tapered off in March, so it was mostly the gym after that. I joined my friend who was training for a marathon for a while, but couldn't keep it up during exam times. Now I'm home, ans have no idea how I'm going to keep fit in the summer. Probably bodyweight exercises and running.
    My weight is fairly high for my height (91kgs, 6'2") but it's not fat. Doesn't really seem to be muscle, either, so I've convinced myself that I must have really dense bones or something like that :)

Exactly 70kg on the scales today.
    5kg in 4 weeks..........this is gonna be fun

I've just realised I'll have to drop from ~85 kg down to 79.5 kg. Similar enough cut.
    Race you? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

My fitness regime consists of using my exercise bike while playing MarioKart a few times a week. Although I've been bad lately because I've been so busy.

I've just realised I'll have to drop from ~85 kg down to 79.5 kg. Similar enough cut.
    Race you? :pac:

Go for it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

kateos2 wrote: »
    My fitness regime consists of using my exercise bike while playing MarioKart a few times a week. Although I've been bad lately because I've been so busy.

I used to do that and watch Cosmos. I should start again!

Advertisement