Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 2011 Video Games

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

From the forums on both developers' sites, it would appear Rugby Challenge is the one with the customisation. They also have the NZ and AUS licences, so I don't know how the other game are going to have the All Blacks in their World Cup game?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

Rugby Challenge is, no?

Yeah, but I want to manage Connacht to HEC glory. If I do that then perhaps I will be able to get the top job myself once Eric steps into the Irish managers role.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Ive downloaded rugby 08 for the pc and added the latest mods to it to bring it up to 2011 kits, tournaments and players.

Its quite entertaining. Except for the fact that BOD isnt a star player anymore....and it seems like they forgot about POC.

Still though...Its gonna tide me over till we get a decent game out (if that actually happens)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

circos wrote: »
    Ive downloaded rugby 08 for the pc and added the latest mods to it to bring it up to 2011 kits, tournaments and players.

Its quite entertaining. Except for the fact that BOD isnt a star player anymore....and it seems like they forgot about POC.

Still though...Its gonna tide me over till we get a decent game out (if that actually happens)

I heard they're basing club and country stats on the official rankings, so that's good!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

So Nesbit and Marshall are commentators for RC. Glad Nesbit got the job always like his voice however the recordings sound very bland hopefully it won't sound that dull in game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

i can't wait for these! from what i've seen and heard RC looks most promising. and they are having a big push on their forums to get people to supply player details (boots, left footed kickers, tape, etc) for the magners league. hopefully that means its in :)

So it looks like there are two rugby games being released to coincide with the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

Firstly, there is Rugby World Cup 2011 Official Game, which is more or less the successor to the EA Rugby series of games, except this time without EA Games as a publisher (it's 505 Games publishing HB Studios' game). It allows you play as the 20 competing teams in the RWC, and if it is anything like its spiritual predecessors, it will more than likely have other licences available also (e.g.: Tri Nations, Six Nations, Guinness Premiership etc.). There are plans for downloadable content, apparently with a view to capitalising on Sevens rugby in London 2012.

Next up is the successor to Jonah Lomu Rugby, Rugby Challenge. This seems to be a much more customisable game, with details such as what strapping, gumshield, boots etc. the players wear accurately represented, not to mention left or right footed kickers, kicking styles etc.

Not quite the FIFA versus Pro Evolution Soccer argument, seeing as neither games will have universal licencing rights (quite tricky to obtain anyway in rugby apparently), but from a customisable and feature point of view, it would appear Rugby Challenge is the more packed game.

It would be class to have a version of Pro Evolution Soccer's Master League manager mode, but this seems unlikely in either game. Video refs too have been shoved far down the list of priorities, and the Kinect Haka Simulator rumour should be firmly discounted seeing as it was released on April 1st...

So, which game does it for you? Any features you'd love to see appear in a rugby game, or do you think they're simply a waste of money?

RC will have a franchise mode, somewhat like master league, as far as i know.

ALH-06 wrote: »
    Exactly what I was going to say!

I'd seriously like a rugby management game based on the likes of Championship Manager etc. Even though that was for knackerball, it's still the most addictive game I've ever played.

But perhaps with the tactics / set pieces / back line moves etc, rugby would be just too technical a spot to encapsulate properly into such a format?

You'd have to program the referees to make insanely stupid mistakes about 40% of the time, too...

Might be interested in this then! Downloading it now so ill leave some thoughts after i completely ruin Leicester Tigers in my first play through :p

http://www.rugbyunionmanager.co.uk/Games.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭twinytwo

circos wrote: »

Bit harsh... i remember in 08 he could run through entire teams blowing through almost every tackle thrown at him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Any release date for this?

• Advertisement

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Any release date for this?
    World cup game out august 26th. Rugby challenge sometime before the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Stev_o wrote: »
    Might be interested in this then! Downloading it now so ill leave some thoughts after i completely ruin Leicester Tigers in my first play through :p

Needs a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How do you manage/coach National sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

PTH2009 wrote: »

You get offers while playing through the club season, to manage national teams in the WC, 6 nations or tri nations. You go back to the club team then after.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

PTH2009 wrote: »

Sorry Declan, you'll have to try harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The colour scheme hurts to look at!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Cool_CM wrote: »
    The colour scheme hurts to look at!

garish! :eek:

Really like the odd 2 player vs. game of madden / pes / etc. (tho never get the time these days) so looking fwd to game play later this year.

tweaking madden could create a great game, wouldn't need to add much motion capture to what's in there. If a game is good enough you don't have to like the sport, NHL/ games got me, and I'm sure many many others, into ice hockey.

IRB missing a trick not trying to get an EA quality game in.

andrewdcs wrote: »
    garish! :eek:

Really like the odd 2 player vs. game of madden / pes / etc. (tho never get the time these days) so looking fwd to game play later this year.

tweaking madden could create a great game, wouldn't need to add much motion capture to what's in there. If a game is good enough you don't have to like the sport, NHL/ games got me, and I'm sure many many others, into ice hockey.

IRB missing a trick not trying to get an EA quality game in.

IRB doesn't hold the license of each Union though so really they have very little say beyond RWC licensing. It's not like the NFL or NBA where the governing body holds the licensing rights.

IRB doesn't hold the license of each Union though so really they have very little say beyond RWC licensing. It's not like the NFL or NBA where the governing body holds the licensing rights.

(edit: get fantasy leinster vs fantasy crusaders games on xbox live.... intercontinental banter would be mighty!)
    true, they could be rounding the various unions up to get something compelling done to get into the lucrative (though in fairness, annoying) yearly upgrade gravy train, not the odd generally flawed one off (which I hope Rugby 2011 won't be). It's the sequels + that makes money (as all the grunt is done, you cut the dev team to 20% to churn out a polished bug fix version as they get more used to the product)

I'm not looking for perfectly digitised faces etc. (fluff) but a game of the quality of the NHL series I think could do seriously well, outside of the megabucks heartland (France, NZ, SA, UK) and if I were in the IRB I'd be gunning for it, anyone know how to find out who their biz dev guys / consultants are?

I'd imagine such efforts are €10 million plus projects, so it'd be like staging a world cup.

They could dole out revenue from the nickel and dime stuff, there are so many ways of monetising a platform now. (vomits on self for speaking such biz word bingo)

andrewdcs wrote: »
    (edit: get fantasy leinster vs fantasy crusaders games on xbox live.... intercontinental banter would be mighty!)
    true, they could be rounding the various unions up to get something compelling done to get into the lucrative (though in fairness, annoying) yearly upgrade gravy train, not the odd generally flawed one off (which I hope Rugby 2011 won't be). It's the sequels + that makes money (as all the grunt is done, you cut the dev team to 20% to churn out a polished bug fix version as they get more used to the product)

I'm not looking for perfectly digitised faces etc. (fluff) but a game of the quality of the NHL series I think could do seriously well, outside of the megabucks heartland (France, NZ, SA, UK) and if I were in the IRB I'd be gunning for it, anyone know how to find out who their biz dev guys / consultants are?

I'd imagine such efforts are €10 million plus projects, so it'd be like staging a world cup.

They could dole out revenue from the nickel and dime stuff, there are so many ways of monetising a platform now. (vomits on self for speaking such biz word bingo)

10 Million for the license? Or the actual game budget?

See think it's a bit of a mess since i don't think the Unions receive any funding from the IRB (do they?) so how would they go about splitting the money to each Union? Obviously the NZRFU is worth more then Georgia's Union so how do you divide the funds between the two.

Rugby Games haven't traditionally sold that well compared to the costs to make them. As a programmer the overall complexity of making a true to life rugby game is far more complicated then making a Football (American and windy ball) or Basketball or Hockey.

We ll see how well they sell. Think Rugby Challenge will the better of the two myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

If anybody is looking for a realistic rugby management game, then they don't get any better than http://www.blackoutrugby.com/ While it's more Champ Manager without real life teams and players, it certainly is absorbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

Phonehead wrote: »
    If anybody is looking for a realistic rugby management game, then they don't get any better than http://www.blackoutrugby.com/ While it's more Champ Manager without real life teams and players, it certainly is absorbing.

Here here! great community in the game also!

10 Million for the license? Or the actual game budget?

See think it's a bit of a mess since i don't think the Unions receive any funding from the IRB (do they?) so how would they go about splitting the money to each Union? Obviously the NZRFU is worth more then Georgia's Union so how do you divide the funds between the two.

Rugby Games haven't traditionally sold that well compared to the costs to make them. As a programmer the overall complexity of making a true to life rugby game is far more complicated then making a Football (American and windy ball) or Basketball or Hockey.

We ll see how well they sell. Think Rugby Challenge will the better of the two myself.

10 mil to get to gold disc / wild figure intended to show that its a lot of money to any individual rugby union, but between them all / revenue split in some negotiated way (thats the tricky part, where the IRB come in, are they any good at keeping Union cohesive? I'd argue not, but for another thread.)

I've actually no idea (natch) how the IRB divvy out cash from the RWC ? Presumably they are supposed to have a mandate to grow the game, but then again, they never show the love to potentially massive markets in North america and japan. and If I know the japanese and north americans they love a decent sports game. (the japanese version may have to have some kind of Final Fantasy /scantily clad boss fighting element :)

In terms of complexity, I'd grant you there's a lot more "mad" stuff than can happen in ice hockey or american football (mauls, rucks) but not insurmountable. Cost wise I've read (from eurogamer / edge / neogaf over the years) its the big structural stuff costs the money (ie motion capture), not the ingenious coding out of ambiguity / letting things flow as an art.

Early pro evolutions games were made for an nth of the Fifa budget, but were far better games, until FIFA managed to squeeze a pro evo like experience out in 09. I reckon with the assets of madden etc. (think they have a special spin off licensing rag doll bodies for all kinds of games) and a small team of rugby nuts (Vancouver / Auckland based) they could bring people in from beyond the rugby world, as per ice hockey for me /mates (GO CANUCKS ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

TheJims wrote: »
    Here here! great community in the game also!

Community makes it to be fair. Well that and a rewarding match engine that gives huge scope for effective team management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

What is this blackout rugby you speak of? Tell me more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

ajeffares wrote: »
    What is this blackout rugby you speak of? Tell me more :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1220

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

crisco10 wrote: »

Wow, it is fantastic . . I must sign up :p (slow exaggerated tone)

Rugby Challenge have released some screenshots of their stadiums and crowds. Looks amazing.

crowdarticle1.jpg

crowdarticle2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What licences does Rugby Challenge hold? They will have Super Rugby anyway going by the "Reds" flag in the picture.

• Advertisement

What licences does Rugby Challenge hold? They will have Super Rugby anyway going by the "Reds" flag in the picture.
    It has new Zealand, Australia, super rugby, itm cup and contains more northern hemisphere teams than southern ones. They haven't been announced yet. Although it is not yet certain if it'll be released here

Advertisement