Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tourism Projects - Fenit & Lee Valley

• 14-10-2010 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Two recent tourism projects have kicked off in the tralee area.
    The Tralee - Fenit Walk & Cycle Way which shall follow the route of the old Tralee-Fenit railway line.
    Can't locate an official site for the project, but have found this:
    http://traleetofenitcycleway.wordpress.com/

As of 14-Oct-2010, progress includes the exposure of the old track from Fenit to Kilfenora (can't see the project from the road from kilfenora to tralee).

The second project is the Lee Valley Park which is described below:
    http://www.traleetc.ie/news/title,4609,en.html
    Work is due to commence later this week on the ambitious Tralee Lee Valley Project, following the signing of the Stage 1 Contract on Monday (Sept 20) between Tralee Town Council and Griffin Brothers Contractors Castleisland. The €4.2m project has been a long term goal of Tralee Town Council and a key element of Fáilte Ireland’s activity and eco tourism strategy. The Department of Tourism, Culture & Sports is providing €3m from its tourism product development budget for the project through Fáilte Ireland with Tralee Town Council providing the balance.

Speaking at the signing, the Mayor of Tralee Cllr. AJ Spring, thanked the Government and Fáilte Ireland for its support, which he said, would provide a major boost for the town. “The Council has worked closely with Fáilte Ireland South West, the National Parks and Wildlife Service, Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust UK, South West Fisheries Board, IT Tralee, Holiday Tralee and other local voluntary and statutory bodies to bring the project to fruition.”

Tralee Town Manager, Michael McMahon said the project had been a long term goal of the Council and would exploit the new and growing nature and eco tourism market. “The provision of a new rail station within the park will assist the Tralee Steam Railway and Blennerville Windmill projects”.

The present Stage 1 Contract with Griffin Brothers involves the construction of the access road, car park, activity lake and 2.2km of walks and cycleways in both the activity and nature zones. The contract is valued at €1.2m. The contract for the new Visitor Centre Building and Viewing Tower will go to tender shortly.

The park is designed by Scott Wilson landscape architects, Belfast with local consultants Malachy Walsh & Partners, Civil & Services Engineers, based in Blennerville and Kane Crowe Kavanagh, Quantity Surveyors, Tralee.

Tralee Town Council has invested heavily in tourism infrastructure, particularly in all-weather visitor attractions, since the 1990s and tourism now supports 500+ jobs in the town. The new €4.2 million project will add significantly to the broad range appeal that Tralee has to offer domestic and overseas visitors. It is expected to attract 70,000 per year to the Kerry capital and is due to be in operation for the 2011 tourist season.

As of 14-Oct-2010 project progress includes the construction of the access roadway and starting of the car park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Don't know what you post is at, apart from highlighting both projects ?

Although both projects are totally separate I think they are very important to this region and should be looked at as one...

Lets take for example, already this week, I have been swiming in Fenit and walking in Ballyseede, both to of the most important leisure/nature resources to the population of Tralee [and surroundings].

These too projects will link these two together, but not only for me, but for tourists, bird watchers etc.

Also it should be noted that the North Kerry line was coming the other way too, the walkway has recently been extended from Ardagh to Rathkeale.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Correct - post is to highlight projects.
    Perhaps we people see progress they might post regular updates here.
    And once opened, perhaps people might post their thoughts / impressions etc.

thanks
    Don't know what you post is at, apart from highlighting both projects ?

Although both projects are totally separate I think they are very important to this region and should be looked at as one...

Lets take for example, already this week, I have been swiming in Fenit and walking in Ballyseede, both to of the most important leisure/nature resources to the population of Tralee [and surroundings].

These too projects will link these two together, but not only for me, but for tourists, bird watchers etc.

Also it should be noted that the North Kerry line was coming the other way too, the walkway has recently been extended from Ardagh to Rathkeale.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Just to add some visual information two current pics of the old railway line near Fenit...

site http://traleetofenitcycleway.wordpress.com/ now has a couple of photos on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

The lads in the Horans fruit & veg., Rock Street told me today that they started clearing a section from Connolly Park to the back of their shop a few weeks back.

I'll have to take them at their word as it's not evident from what I can see.

• Advertisement

Article in Kerry's Eye at the weekend claiming that gardai are investigating the theft of some railway track and sleepers from this line...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

What is the latest update on this ? :confused:

Into November 2010 and has anyone been down the tracks ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I see thar the 2 entrances to the line at the Mounthawk side of the "Fat Mile" are blocked off with gates & site fencing. Must be something going on. I was told in early October that it would be ready in 14 weeks.

T

amadain wrote: »
    What is the latest update on this ? :confused:

Into November 2010 and has anyone been down the tracks ? :p

It appears that there are objections to the upgrade/opening of this facility from persons living on the route.
    I've heard (but not verified) that some rubble was dumped on the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ptdireland

fresca wrote: »
    It appears that there are objections to the upgrade/opening of this facility from persons living on the route.
    I've heard (but not verified) that some rubble was dumped on the route.

It is reported that an objector who is resident in Fenit had threatened to burn the machinery used to clear the track if it proceeded past his back garden. This person had used the track to extend his garden.
    It is also reported that the committee have agreed not to proceed past this persons garden in case of further threats. The track will now stop at Castleview in Fenit and will not continue to the Pier.
    What a shame this has happened(if true). These people should look at the future and what it could mean for their children and the village of Fenit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Any update on the Fenit walkway. Don't see any work going on at the "Fat Mile" end

T.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Walked the line from Rock St. to the Ardfert Road bridge today. No sign of recent work.

While I was at it, I walked a little of the Limerick line from the split until I reached a dead end where an individual has extended their back garden completely appropriating the section of line that passes behind their house. Hedge planted across the line at one side and a barricade of tree branches on the other. I was under the impression that the Limerick line was still in the ownership of CIE, no?

This Google map is centred on the offending house (the line seems to have been still intact when the satellite image was taken).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Was talking to two people connected with the town & county councils last night. It would appear that the Tralee - Fenit Cycleway project is (or soon going to be) abandoned.

Apparently those that had protested against the development of the amenity have recently threatened to take matters to the high court (or some such) and the council didn't have the b@lls to take up the fight.

If true this is a sad shame, and one cant help but be disappointed at the failure to pursue it to its conclusion. Also questions must be asked as to what the monies for the project (something around the €300,000 mark I believe) will now be directed towards - if the answer is anything other than the development of an alternative new amenity (and not just the Lee Valley Park) then it is unacceptable.

And yet, on http://www.radiokerry.ie/news:
    27 Jan 2011Plans to develop old Tralee Fenit railway line into path and cycleway advancing well

Plans to develop the old Tralee Fenit railway line into a path and cycleway are advancing well.
    The project, which is estimated to cost half-a-million-euro, has already received funding from the Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.
    Funding has also been promised by the Department of Transport, Leader, as well as the local community.
    The council is awaiting a proposal from CIE regarding the removal of the track, and following that work will begin on the path.

fresca wrote: »

Interesting - pity there's no definitive information there, just a bit of a blurb. Two Departments mentioned, one of which Tommy McEllistrim has sidled up to when grants have been given out before to garner bystander credit so I would be cautious of electioneering propoganda sneaking into things .

Will see if I can hit up those contacts again and see what their take on the story is. Will try to get feedback by this evening.

Good-News3.jpg

Got onto my contacts and the Radio Kerry news paragraph is correct - the only development different to planned is that the rail is to come up as part of the work.

Apparently the information they had came from the same town councillor, who had been spreading the word the project was off (for whatever reason he personally had). Fair to assume he's not high on the project supporters list...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Anybody know the latest on the Lee Valley Park?

I just heard about it ( Thanks Kerry gems guide! ) and am quite interested. But despite all the hype during Winter 2010 there's very little info on the progress.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Anybody know the latest on the Lee Valley Park?

I just heard about it ( Thanks Kerry gems guide! ) and am quite interested. But despite all the hype during Winter 2010 there's very little info on the progress.

The below picture is almost four weeks old and the work has progressed very well since then. The last I saw last week was that they were putting topsoil on all the areas where the groundwork had already finished. The landscaping will take some time, especially the trees, but the walkways and the lake look almost finished to me. I think they made the best of the fine weather and will finish in time.

Quaderno wrote: »
    The below picture is almost four weeks old and the work has progressed very well since then. The last I saw last week was that they were putting topsoil on all the areas where the groundwork had already finished. The landscaping will take some time, especially the trees, but the walkways and the lake look almost finished to me. I think they made the best of the fine weather and will finish in time.
    Thanks

Looks great! Look forward to getting back there for a cycle/walk! :)

Does anyone have any updates on Lee Valley? :)

• Advertisement

I have no current picture at the moment, but the park looks good so far :) They are now working at the visitor centre, the outer structure of which appears to be fairly complete already. All the trees around the lake have been planted recently as well. Still a lot of work to do, but the progress can well be seen from week to week.
    I think work at the viewing tower has yet to start, as has probably most of the landscaping in the far part of the park behind the railtracks which can't be overseen from the street.

Just two pics from today with an overview of the park and a closeup shot of the new visitor centre:

Some new pictures from this week, work on the tower has started now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Does anyone have any updates on Lee Valley? :)

It was meant to be finished for July, but they are talking more September October now! typical!

I just heard that the opening is now planned for January 2012.

Quaderno wrote: »
    I just heard that the opening is now planned for January 2012.

I do hope Tralee Town Council have run that past the Mayans !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I do hope Tralee Town Council have run that past the Mayans !

TTC was never one for listening to sound advice from anyone. Anyway, won't they almost get a year out of it until the planet goes down the crapper in December 2012? The upside will be that they won't have time to increase the car-parking fees in the town to pay for the project losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

ejmaztec wrote: »
    TTC was never one for listening to sound advice from anyone. Anyway, won't they almost get a year out of it until the planet goes down the crapper in December 2012? The upside will be that they won't have time to increase the car-parking fees in the town to pay for the project losses.

Is the Tralee to Fenit walkway going ahead?

Hey Steve,

It's a bit hard to get any solid information on that, the last thing i heard from a good source that CIE wanted to take up the track before the walkway was put down (I am sure all that iron is worth a bit now).

It is a pity that this walkway has been hit with the same problem as on Fenit island, a couple of people want to stop people walking on public land that passes close to their property, as the expense of everyone else :(
    Is the Tralee to Fenit walkway going ahead?

In other Fenit/Lee Valley tourism news tours have now started to Fenit lighthouse !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Hey Steve,

It's a bit hard to get any solid information on that, the last thing i heard from a good source that CIE wanted to take up the track before the walkway was put down (I am sure all that iron is worth a bit now).

It is a pity that this walkway has been hit with the same problem as on Fenit island, a couple of people want to stop people walking on public land that passes close to their property, as the expense of everyone else :(

In other Fenit/Lee Valley tourism news tours have now started to Fenit lighthouse !

we will see what happenes. i read in kerry eye that a petiton would be singed this week to recomenece work on the former rail line

Advertisement