Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post - Tracking mail originating abroad

Options
  • 21-05-2011 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I ordered an item from the UK which was shipped via Royal Mail, they gave me the Royal Mail tracking number but the only information I can get on the Royal Mail website is that the package has been sent to Ireland. Do I need to convert this Royal Mail tracking number in an An Post tracking number or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

generally with national postal services, trackable items are only trackable in the country of origin. once they leave you can no longer track it.

this is true for an post and a few other countries, 99% certain the UK is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I think the tracking number will work on the An Post website - http://track.anpost.ie/track/trackone.html. I tried it recently for a registered letter I was sent from the UK and it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr_Brogan

I tried entering the tracking number into the An Post website but it didn't work. On the Royal Mail website they say that some of their services allow tracking of the parcel outside of the UK but others don't. In my case the parcel was sent with Royal Mail First Class (Recorded). The Royal Mail tracking just says:
    Your item, posted on 20/05/11 with reference RJ*********GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in EIRE.
    Its said that since Friday. I assume that means it was sent to Ireland on Friday but that still doesn't give me much of an idea of when to expect it. I shoulda paid more attention to the shipping method, Royal Mail First Class is probably the most expensive service and its probably pointless if its being sent abroad because that next day delivery stuff probably doesn't apply outside the UK. Anyone here know how long it takes for mail to be delivered (to cities/towns) after it has arrived in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Not sure if its relevant but once got a package from Ireland when I was living in Austria, was given the tracking number from the people who sent it to me from An Post

Followed it along as it got to Portlaoise then onto Heathrow and then a day after that it was on my doorstep in Graz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Hi op,
    On many occasions that I have ordered stuff from the uk which would ship with parcel force(Royal mail pkgs shipper) it would be a private company doing the delivery here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hi op,
    On many occasions that I have ordered stuff from the uk which would ship with parcel force(Royal mail pkgs shipper) it would be a private company doing the delivery here.

That would be down to Parcelforce using GLS for delivering outside of the UK across the board as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

MYOB wrote: »
    That would be down to Parcelforce using GLS for delivering outside of the UK across the board as far as I'm aware.

Yep thats the one all right most mail companies use other providers for overseas delivery the likes of An Post use some of the big four airfreight/courier companies to deliver to the likes of the USA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Conversely DHL use An Post for local delivery here.

Advertisement