Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HOLY GRAIL G1s top ten!!

• 18-04-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

hi im a vintage star wars collector and tere are about 5 to 10 figures or items which a collect trys to obtain that are classed as holy grail items, meaning very rare and exspensive!!

i also love g1 transfromers and played with many of them as a kid in the 80s and still have a few of them today but i was wondering is tere a holy grail for g1 transfromers?? if so what are the top 10 most rare and expensive g1s out tere??

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

?? if so what are the top 10 most rare and expensive g1s out tere??

cheers

Hard to answer conclusively.

Firstly the rarest, aren't necessarily the most expensive, and there are quite a few toys that were only ever released in Japan.

Some of the rarest, Western, Early G1 (MI(S)(B) could include:

Gestalts in US boxes:
    Defensor, Piranhacon, Computron.

Abominus and Bruticus would also be very sought after in Western-style G1 boxes...but their only western release was apparently in Italy.

Other more obvious contenders are characters from the first few seasons in very high grade boxes.

Where Japanese only toys are concerned, Overlord, Liokaiser and Black Zarak are the probably the three most sought after.

Deszaras can get pricey too these days.

Victory Saber is somewhat sought after, but doesn't seem to generate the same prices.

Raiden can also fetch high prices. Not necessarily becasue it's amongst the most popular,...(The Diaclone version is fairly easily available) but because it's a bear to find complete, without mangled stickers.

Well that was an inconclusive, name-dropping ramble. But maybe at least it underscored the fact that 'grail' is a difficult thing to pinpoint when it comes to Tfs.

Pretty sure Overlord was released here. A mate of mine had it as akid and this was long before intenet shopping etc.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Pretty sure Overlord was released here..

Indeed it was. 91 or 92. Can't remember. For some reason or other i just lobbed it in with JP exclusives.

In my defence, i guess i just did that based on aftermarket pricing.

In fact,IIRC, the eye paint on the Euro release version is a little less sloppy, and the bright purple parts are a more uniform color.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Think the most expensive toy I've heard of is a MISB Black Zarak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

Galvasean wrote: »

2 grand jasus i hope i didnt throw mine in the bin!! lol :-) ya i wish i had him , dont remember this lad as a kid, did he come out in ireland hes massive!! ya id say hes up tere alright in the top 3

Think the most expensive toy I've heard of is a MISB Black Zarak.

And even then you'll have the uncertainty of not knowing whether the parts have fallen fowl of Gold Plastic Syndrome.
    , did he come out in ireland hes massive!! ya id say hes up tere alright in the top 3

Toymaster stores ran a coloring-in contest summer 89. That's the only way it was available here AFAIK.

It was also apparently available from Hamleys at some point.

Other than being f*cking big, it's what Transfans often refer to as a 'brick'.

Japanese version comes with a sword nearly as tall as the mold. That will typically cost a bit more.

There was also Japan only repaint a year later that came with a Pretender shell
    (Grand Maximus)

It was also repainted for the Car Robots line as Brave Maximus (Runs about $500, last i looked?) Several of the accessories were removed.

Hasbro reportedly looked at a U.S release. It apparently failed the drop test, and it's also been said that TRU were the only retailer that expressed any interest in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bagofbest

hello folks.....

http://www.toyarchive.com/Transformers/TransformerForeignToys.html

Have a look at c-121 to c-124. These bad boys are impossible to find anywhere. Though I am hopeful of a "Big Mission" 3 and 4 release (I'm not actually that hopeful).

bagofbest wrote: »
    hello folks.....

http://www.toyarchive.com/Transformers/TransformerForeignToys.html

Have a look at c-121 to c-124. These bad boys are impossible to find anywhere. Though I am hopeful of a "Big Mission" 3 and 4 release (I'm not actually that hopeful).

Legout and Decibel are reportedly in the knock off pipeline...

And good catch. Based on size-cost ratio...they might be the most expensive TFs around.

I really miss that style of box art...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bagofbest

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Legout and Decibel are reportedly in the knock off pipeline...

I'm listening......

bagofbest wrote: »
    I'm listening......

They have been for a while, TBH. But apparently they're getting closer...keep an eye on TFW i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Indeed it was. 91 or 92. Can't remember. For some reason or other i just lobbed it in with JP exclusives.

In my defence, i guess i just did that based on aftermarket pricing.

In fact,IIRC, the eye paint on the Euro release version is a little less sloppy, and the bright purple parts are a more uniform color.

twas indeed.

overlord was the last big buy i made on TF back in the day, in easons of all places.

got him along with the motorvators which are a european release of road caesar without the bits necessary to form him.

i just loved the citybots.

on the OP.

Dont really consider the holy grail as a matter of money, just the stuff i could never get when they first came out and always wanted, so guys like fort max would be up there for me.

but so would guys like swoop.

fecking killed me we could get all the dinos bar him.

someday i'll get around to picking them up but now that the internet makes it so easy its not as big a thrill.

last one i got was thar reissue of predaking which i got in forbiden planet a few years back.

just loved that guy.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

god i had overlord as a child. my mother threw out all my old transformers when i moved out seven years ago. this was one of them along with old scorpinok and metroplex

KO Dial and Zaur available for preorder.

https://kotoys.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_121_911&products_id=932&zenid=3ce5d65d7ba60390b077d3efffea8c65

Note: Kotoys can be erratic. If you're going to throw money at them, best do it from a source you be sure will afford you some comeback.

Decible (Noise and Graphy) is apparently on the way, along with another run of Legout (Dial and Zaur).

...but KO Toys claim to have shut down, so you may have to keep your eyes open for somewhere else to order them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ah Overlord. I remember that happy Christmas day when I awoke to find that waiting for me downstairs, along with a WWF wrestling ring. It's a pretty cool transformer, Abrams tank and a Blackbird jet.
    Still have it at home at my mom's house. Got to love hoarders :)

Advertisement