Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eckhart Tolle - any fans?

• 11-05-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Any fans! I love all his books. Such amazing material.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

The power of now was a "game changer" and A New Earth was excellent as well. I got a couple of his other books as well, but they just seemed like excerpts from the power of now, which made me feel like he was cashing in a bit.

Still though, TPON was truly an amazing book.

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, by Sogyal Rinpoche is one you might, for want of a better word, enjoy, if you find Tolle good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I can understand and respect your point but with ane I find he goes more in debt and focuses more on our emotions and pain body:)

Thanks for recommendation will look at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭anamcarame

I cannot fault TPON. Truly a live changing and awakening book. New Earth was a great follow on for me. I am currently struggling with Practicing The Power Of Now. Maybe I am now meant to read it at the moment. I have started and restarted it 3 times.

"This, too, will pass."
    — Eckhart Tolle

anamcarame wrote: »
    I cannot fault TPON. Truly a live changing and awakening book. New Earth was a great follow on for me. I am currently struggling with Practicing The Power Of Now. Maybe I am now meant to read it at the moment. I have started and restarted it 3 times.

"This, too, will pass."
    — Eckhart Tolle

to me practising TPON just seemed like excerpts from TPON. It felt like he was cashing in to an extent - it may have been more on the publishers end that he was contracted to write a certain number of books, but I started to read it myself, and just didn't bother with it, because it didn't seem to be anything new.

After reading Tolle's books someone recommended The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche and that was another excellent book. I would say "life changing" but I think TPON had already achieved that, but I think had I read TBOLD then it may have had the same effect. From talking to people who read TBOLD first it did have that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

"This too shall pass".

its a beautiful saying but it

is quite a bit older than mr tolle.

The phrase seems to have originated in the writings of the medieval Persian Sufi poets, and is often attached to a fable of a great king who is humbled by the simple words. Some versions of the fable, beginning with that of Attar of Nishapur, add the detail that the phrase is inscribed on a ring, which therefore has the ability to make the happy man sad and the sad man happy.

I recommend further reading by Epictetus.

cheers and blessed thanks for bringing these words back to me.

• Advertisement

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I can understand and respect your point but with ane I find he goes more in debt and focuses more on our emotions and pain body:)

Thanks for recommendation will look at that.

I'd probably agree in that regard, but I just remember TPON having a greater effect on me - it may have to do with the order I read them in (TPON first).

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying is a pretty thick book, but it is divided into four sections 1)Living; 2)Dying; 3)Death & Re-birth; 4)Conclusions.

I've only read the first two sections myself, but found them to be very insightful and practical. I'll get around to the other sections at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

excellent author and master... !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I've read TPON but I found it quite heavy going and laborious. Anthony di Mello's Awareness was a much lighter and easier read and I still like to dip into it when I need to recenter.

Jerrica wrote: »
    I've read TPON but I found it quite heavy going and laborious. Anthony di Mello's Awareness was a much lighter and easier read and I still like to dip into it when I need to recenter.

Your not ready for it yet;) You will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Not sure if thats a fair statement, maybe that approach just wasnt for him.

I finished TPON, not bad, he does a fine job at giving an insight into the peace and space between thoughts.
    I love his talk on time everlasting presence as well, because time simply doesnt exist , the past and future are only thoughts or illusions.
    He needs to get more practical though.
    TPON isnt something that should need to be 'practiced'.
    Im going to check out Anthony di Mello's Awareness to see the difference in approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 sdun

If you're in the right head space Tolle's writings are incredible, I've had times where I 've read it and been inspired and blown away by the simplicty and brilliance of his teachings, other times it's done nothing for me.
    hey wylo, I think "Practising TPON" gives more practical tips on ways of being present which you might find useful (although any books on Vipassana/ Mindfulness are also good).
    One meditation teacher I met spoke about Tolle's (and other spiritual teachers) use of repitition, and how his message was so simple, but often we need to hear it again, and again ,and again, until eventually (hopefully : ) it sinks in, and we can begin to learn to practice it.

wylo wrote: »

I finished TPON, not bad, he does a fine job at giving an insight into the peace and space between thoughts.
    I love his talk on time everlasting presence as well, because time simply doesnt exist , the past and future are only thoughts or illusions.
    He needs to get more practical though.
    TPON isnt something that should need to be 'practiced'.
    Im going to check out Anthony di Mello's Awareness to see the difference in approach.

Practicing the Power of Now

her :D
    I find that quite condescending - I found the whole TPON concept quite condescending though.

agreed, I also think he keeps the concept at a safe distance, always keeping it interesting but never getting right to the bottom of it. Whether he does this intentionally or not is another question, I doubt its intentional.

What kind of approach does Anthony di Mello's Awareness take?

It's a series of talks that he gave so it can be a little bit disjointed sometimes but I found him very easy to read if a little bit abrupt from time to time. He constantly encourages questioning and he doesn't quite give you the answers but tells you to go out and find your own once you've embraced the need to "wake up".

I suppose the difference is that with TPON I felt like I was being preached to, and by not reaching this amazing place that Tolle kept describing I was failing or something, but de Mello kind of says, just keep trying, and that's half the battle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sdun

Jerrica, I'm curious, what was it about TPON that you found condescending?

Also wylo when I read your quote about thinking "he keeps the concept at a safe distance" I felt like dropping a reply. The thing with Tolle is he's trying to get away from concepts. Concepts, and our opinions and thoughts are what keep us out of the moment and living in our heads so much of the time (at least to my understanding).

His books are great, but I'd really reccomend practising a little meditation (if you havn't already done so). Joining a meditaion group or finding a teacher that suits you to get a flavour of what he's talking about, otherwise it's just more information and concepts (which defeats the purpose)

It's a series of talks that he gave so it can be a little bit disjointed sometimes but I found him very easy to read if a little bit abrupt from time to time. He constantly encourages questioning and he doesn't quite give you the answers but tells you to go out and find your own once you've embraced the need to "wake up".

I suppose the difference is that with TPON I felt like I was being preached to, and by not reaching this amazing place that Tolle kept describing I was failing or something, but de Mello kind of says, just keep trying, and that's half the battle :)

just finished his first few chapters on youtube, I like his approach in forcing people to be honest, (from what Ive heard so far anyway)

sdun wrote: »
    Jerrica, I'm curious, what was it about TPON that you found condescending?
    I think I found Tolle himself to be a little self-righteous, but that's only my personal perception of him. Weirdly enough I thought he's quite "preachy" in his approach :o

I think I found Tolle himself to be a little self-righteous, but that's only my personal perception of him. Weirdly enough I thought he's quite "preachy" in his approach :o

A friend of mine thought the very same thing.

Do you mind if I ask, did you read the preface to the book? I used to always skip that part and go straight to the into.

mangaroosh wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask, did you read the preface to the book? I used to always skip that part and go straight to the into.
    It's a while now since I've read it so remind me what's in that!

• Advertisement

It's a while now since I've read it so remind me what's in that!

He just outlines why he uses the tone he does. I'm not sure if that would have made a difference. I've gone back and re-read part of it myself and I can see why people say that he is condescending or patronising.

I would just say though, that his tone doesn't affect the validity of what is said, even if it can act as a deterrent to some.

Recommend an online interactive chat on tolle and others...here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

power of now was a life changing book for me. it pulled me through one of the most difficult periods of my life.

a new earth i am reading for the second time now, its a great read and i think i am getting more out of it this time than before

Starokan wrote: »
    power of now was a life changing book for me. it pulled me through one of the most difficult periods of my life.

a new earth i am reading for the second time now, its a great read and i think i am getting more out of it this time than before

You always will, with Eckhart its takes alot more than one read. hes so in dept and deep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Imagine this scenario, someone knows a much better more enjoyable way to live life than the way you are living life now. Now imagine that person gives you advice on living life in the more enjoyable way. How could that person tell you how to live your life without you finding them "preachy" or condescending? Is there any way?

Preaching isnt bad if its requested, jesus was a preacher, dalai lama, socrates, ghandi, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭kalkor

Its teaching if you want it, preaching if you dont?

What is Tolle teaching though?
    Ive read PON, and starting A new Earth, just to see what all the fuss is about, just to figure out why so many people hang on to this guy for the their dear life.
    He is certainly not teaching how to permanently remove a belief of self, he is just offering practice techniques so you can temporarily recreate his own experience. He shows people how to practice presence instead of simply telling people that there is no you to even practice it.
    Presence comes when you see that you dont exist, not when theres a you trying to practice it.
    He is dwelling on his own enlightenment and trying to see that people understand his experiences, not trying to show people how to arrive in real life to that experience. he is too nice, too philosophical , he doesn't punch egos, he actually nurtures them instead of hurting them.
    He doesnt know this , hes not a scam artist, hes trying to help, and he is helping people, but he could do it alot more efficiently and effectively by telling them that their self simply does not exist in any shape or form, it never did, and it never will.
    But then he'd be out of a job, because he'd be no longer the one that 'knows all', he would be on the same level as the person who saw the same truth as him, that new person would be just as capable of explaining it as he would. That aint nice for the ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

What is Tolle teaching though?
    Ive read PON, and starting A new Earth, just to see what all the fuss is about, just to figure out why so many people hang on to this guy for the their dear life.
    He is certainly not teaching how to permanently remove a belief of self, he is just offering practice techniques so you can temporarily recreate his own experience. He shows people how to practice presence instead of simply telling people that there is no you to even practice it.
    Presence comes when you see that you dont exist, not when theres a you trying to practice it.
    He is dwelling on his own enlightenment and trying to see that people understand his experiences, not trying to show people how to arrive in real life to that experience. he is too nice, too philosophical , he doesn't punch egos, he actually nurtures them instead of hurting them.
    He doesnt know this , hes not a scam artist, hes trying to help, and he is helping people, but he could do it alot more efficiently and effectively by telling them that their self simply does not exist in any shape or form, it never did, and it never will.
    But then he'd be out of a job, because he'd be no longer the one that 'knows all', he would be on the same level as the person who saw the same truth as him, that new person would be just as capable of explaining it as he would. That aint nice for the ego.

I think tolle's books are written in such a way as to make people stop for a second and consider the concept of presence which is something they may never previously have done. It is I grant you a more gentle approach than what you are advocating but i guess it resonates with X amount of people X amount of the time. I think people at different stages are open to different messages.

To some the gentle approach sets them on the right path, to others a more forceful awakening works better. To my mind both approaches are perfectly fine.

If its not derailing the thread to much I am curious as to your comment regarding the self not existing in any shape or form ever. Are you speaking of the physical self or do you believe that upon your death you cease to exist completely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Hes a millionaire banking on words that were uttered and documented 4000 years ago, no? I went to one of his seminars a year back, didnt buy it. It sounds like a myriad of nonsense that perhaps a trip on LSD could offer? The power of now doesnt necessarily mean ****. What value has the now without basing your desicions on experince (the past), so we refer to the past, hence, in the mind, kinda live there in order to go forward.

Advertisement