Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

n81

• 15-05-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

was thinking of taking a spin out round blessington lakes tomorrow, but just a bit dubious of the n81, is it manageable enough?

would imagine it can be a bit hairy esp around the roundabout there near tallaght bypass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's not pleasant but it's manageable.

There are alternative routes, e.g. via Bohernabreena.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's manageable but boring as hell if you're on your own. As Lumen says there are alternative routes which are harder but not as mind numbing.

If you're going over the M50, there's a pedestrian/bike underpass that you should use, I wouldn't use the main roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

thanks lads,

will do a bit of map research before i head out!

going from kilmainham and thought that'd be most direct route

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

I cycle out the N81 quite regularly and don't find it too bad, though it's generally Sunday mornings when it wouldn't be that busy anyway. There is a wide hard shoulder along a lot of it which is fine to cycle in, the bit just after Jobstown when it starts to rise is narrow but doesn't last long. That roundabout at the m50 is a bit intimidating but it helps that it has traffic lights. Give it a go when it's relatively quiet and decide then if you want to use the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Only dodgy bit would be Jobstown-Citywest.
    It's just narrow, twisty and very bushy so most of the corners are blind.
    Take it easy and be cautious and that bit's over in less then 5 minutes.

After that it's relatively quiet and pleasant.
    As said though, can be boring if you're on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Was coming in the N81 on saturday and was caught in big downpour . Coming along the road there was slurry being washed out onto the road from a farm yard, by the rain, had no choice but to go right through ........

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭jack01986

I know this is a thread resurrection, but would cycling this to Enniscorty be boring as hell? I usually go down the coast road but fancied a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

It's mainly national roads so they can be busyish. I've gone as far as Baltinglass and back. But I've also done from Clonegall to Enniscorthy, just typical N roads and N road traffic. Just haven't done the middle third but wouldn't expect it to be much different to first third and last third. Depends how quickly you get bored 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

You won't have much comfort south between Rathvilliy and the N80, its a bastard of a stretch. Narrow bendy lots of agri vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hard bit is always balancing the difficulty of the route with the scenery. N-roads are boring but usually flatter and shorter than any other route.

Go up over Sally Gap, down to Glendalough, Rathdrum, Aughrim, Carnew, Bunclody, Enniscorthy. About the most direct without an N-road, but not for the faint of heart, quite a lot of climbing. You could skip around the hills to Enniskerry, Roundwood and onto Glendalough. It's a bit further but a bit flatter.

If you like coastal routes, then sticking to the R-roads from Bray to Greystones to Brittas bay, Gorey, etc, is flatter again, but adds quite a few KM to the trip.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, think I might stick to the same one this time. @seamus Trying to get down in a reasonable time so might avoid the climbing route 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've done it a few times from Tullow to Dublin. It can be busy but it's nothing mental. While the scenery is good, there are more scenic options but if time is important then, for me, the N81 would do the job. Plenty of places to stop for a quick sambo if needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you are near the N81 to start with it is probably the quickest and simplest way down. Its not terrible but it isn't rivetting either would be my opinion.

Cycled down the N81 Friday, was pretty much a headwind the whole way which made it tough. Was quite a few lorries and trucks up until Blessington and then calmed down. The N80 to Enniscorthy had some nice scenery but again lots of big trucks going past at 100kmh. Probably wouldn’t do it again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Used to cycle to Ramsgrange not far from Enniscorthy quite regularly and took variations of this route. Tinahely - Shillelagh is a nice alternative to Carnew for similar distance. N81 would be a bit mind numbing.

Advertisement