Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would Sir care for a starter?

Options
  • 22-01-2003 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

As my only new years resolution was to cook more this year and stop living on take aways and toasted sandwiches I have decided that I will invite some friends over and cook a multi course meal at least once a month all throughout the year.

I've got a few main courses up my sleeve ( messy :) ) - what I'm looking for is some ideas for starter courses.

For January's meal (moderately successful, main course a bit overdone) I kind of made it up as went along and it turned out quite well (recipe below). Can't rely on luck forever though so bright ideas would be most welcome...

Tuna and Lime thingies (names welcome too)

1 Lg Tin of Tuna (preferably in sunflower oil)
    1 Lg dollop of mayo (just enough to make it stick to together)
    Juice of 1 lime
    2 cloves of crushed garlic
    Lots of ground black pepper

Just mix it all up together and serve on Swedish crispbread or similar. Serves about 4/5 people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Mmm yum that sounds nice. I don't have many starter ideas but one thing that is very nice with starters is melba toast.

Ok, it's a kinda cheat really - just thin toast but can be quite nice. You toast a slice of bread in the toaster. You then cut the bread in half (down the height of the bread) and turn the sides over to toast them. or in graphical mode...
    (bread is ][ )
    =heat=> ][ <=heat=
    ... then cut ] [
    ..then swivel [ ]
    then toast
    =heat=> [] <=heat=
    then dance while waiting
    then put the melba toast with butter or itsnotbutter or itsactuallymelteddeadanimalcarcassfat nearby and eat with maybe soup or maybe some nice smoked salmon.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Here's something I often do:

Crab dumplings
    Ingredients:
    100g bread crumbs
    100g white crab meat (1 tin drained)
    2 large eggs (1 full egg and just the yolk from the other)
    Seasoning (to taste)
    Cream (2 teaspoons)
    Nutmeg (to taste, I use a small pinch)

Method:
    Throw every thing into a food processor and mix very well.
    Chill for about an hour.
    Shape the mixture into balls (about the size of a small egg), you will get about four or six, flatten the balls a bit.
    Fry in a little olive oil and a knob of butter until golden brown on each side.

Serve with a light mixed leaf salad and some lemon wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ah this brings me back to my alt.stupidity days. I considered plagurising them but that would be bold:

Therefore:

http://billwilkinson.home.mindspring.com/recipe.htm

Advertisement