Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible New Star Trek Series

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

Sad to see that this was instead shelved in favour of the complete reboot.

Adding to that - this should have been made instead of 'Enterprise'. It would have been a true calling for the excellent cast from that series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

That sounds infinitely better than that reboot rubish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

boris232 wrote: »
    Picked this up from the TrekMovie website tonight - interesting read of a possible new series - would have been good

http://trekmovie.com/2011/04/16/exclusive-details-excerpts-from-star-trek-federation-series-proposal/

Sounds like some excellent potential there.

I really like the sound of these techo-items:
    •The Central Core: an open shaft at the center of the saucer where all corridors intersect in an open area, which would act like a "town square" for the ship
    •Mobile Mission Modules: standard habitats which can be customized for various missions about the size of a bus
    •Landing Envelope: Force-field projector that can shoot down to a planet giving landing parties an atmosphere even on hostile planets (apparently originally conceived for TNG).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fnordius

Damn, damn, damn, this had real potential!

It could also have brought in original Roddenberry ideas like V'Ger and other "evolved" humans looking back to the Federation as both their parents and the current occupants as children in need of protection. Re-introduce the Organians and other super-races that considered the Federation too low on the evolutionary scale. Put the Federation at a vital crux between the barbarism of the Scourge and the promise of achieving a new level of existence that leaves the old world of matter behind.

Ooh, perhaps this could be the point that the Q continuum was concerned about back when it manipulated the history of Jean-Luc Picard? Now the races of the Federation have to decide whether they will evolve or not, as the Scourge slowly but surely removes the middle ground...

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Thread title made me think a new series might actually be on the way. Could have been good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Id say they are realises this info to see if it sparks interest with people.

Id say bring it on it sounds class.

and plus it has Alexander Kirk oh yeah badass.

A Kirk for our generation not some carbon copy of The Legend that is Shatner.
    Picked this up from the TrekMovie website tonight - interesting read of a possible new series - would have been good

http://trekmovie.com/2011/04/16/exclusive-details-excerpts-from-star-trek-federation-series-proposal/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

With the success of the new star trek 2009 film & the 2012 sequel on the way , paramount may just change their minds about a possible tv show in the next few years. it would be great!

Surely it would be a good few years away tho. Assuming 2012's film is successful, I could see at least one more film coming out in 2014/15. Paramount will hardly release a tv show while making the films, otherwise they may oversaturate the market. So if they wait until after a trilogy of films (pure speculation on my part) it might be 2016 or later before we get a new TV series. Disappointing, but I can see the franchise remaining on the big screen alone for the next few years. If the 2012 film bombs I certainly wouldn't expect a TV show anytime soon either.

I hope a new series happens soon, but don't expect it.

Youre prob right about the timing of a new tv show. 2016/17 is aaaaagggees away. But at least we will most likely have ST on the big screen. Personally, Id be shocked if the 2012 film bombed after the success of the last one.

Personally, Id be shocked if the 2012 film bombed after the success of the last one.

I didn't mean to suggest that I thought it would, I expect it will do quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Isnt there some Web based series out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I like it..except for the name of Kirk...for god's sake let move's on with it...
    The last thing I want to be hearing about a show in 3000 is the name Kirk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Isnt there some Web based series out there?

Yes there is its called star trek new voyages. (but now changed to phase 2) its quite good for a web series made by fans and it was sanctioned by genes son and the lad who plays Kirk James Cawley was even in the new star trek movie and the show has even had Chekov played by the original man him self Walter Koenig.

others who have guest starred are:

Pavel Chekov
    Walter Koenig

Hikaru Sulu
    George Takei

Janice Rand
    Grace Lee Whitney

Dr. Jenna Yar
    Denise Crosby

ST:P2 Computer Voice
    Majel Roddenberry

Veronica & Alersa
    BarBara Luna

Writer / Director
    David Gerrold

Writer / Producer
    Dorothy (D.C.) Fontana

Ambassador Morgan
    Mary Linda Rapelye

Commodore Decker
    William Windom

The names listed below are just a few of the people who regularly contribute to Phase II. Many of the individuals noted do many more jobs on and off camera to add to each production. There is just not enough space to add every title and contribution that each member has made. Let it suffice to say that all are noteworthy and appreciated. This list is not complete and will evolve as Star Trek: Phase II evolves.

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    I like it..except for the name of Kirk...for god's sake let move's on with it...
    The last thing I want to be hearing about a show in 3000 is the name Kirk

Fan boys mate that's all but to be honest there is o reason why not, also think about it did Kirk have any children that carried on his family name?

tonyheaney wrote: »
    did Kirk have any children that carried on his family name?

I'm not sure, but James T. Kirk had 2 brothers. I guess they could have had children who carry on the Kirk name, and the Starfleet tradition.

edit: Kirk did indeed have at least one such nephew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but James T. Kirk had 2 brothers. I guess they could have had children who carry on the Kirk name, and the Starfleet tradition.

Plus all the other people in the 25th century who had the surname Kirk.

I just found this on wiki:

James Kirk's brother George Samuel Kirk is first mentioned in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" and introduced and killed in "Operation: Annihilate!", leaving behind three children.

So i guess it could happen if they were male.

In Best Destiny and Carey's Final Frontier novel describe George Kirk's adventures aboard the USS Enterprise under the command of Captain Robert April but the captin in startrek was Captain Robau?? whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

Koloman wrote: »

Ya just saw it, they need to make sure it has a story arc and no reset button and set perhaps 150 years later from the last movie (not the 2009 one)

• Advertisement

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Ya just saw it, they need to make sure it has a story arc and no reset button and set perhaps 150 years later from the last movie (not the 2009 one)

Well the article did mention a solid 5-7 year plan, and an overall theme. To me, that suggests there will be an overall story arc but who knows.

Well the article did mention a solid 5-7 year plan, and an overall theme. To me, that suggests there will be an overall story arc but who knows.

its still early days yet and the network may not carry it

Even if they do carry it will it succeed? I sincerely hope it would, but if it failed like Enterprise did then that could be a deathknell for all things ST in the future :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

Sticking with TNG era as opposed to JJ era would be fantastic.

I'm not surprised that they'd rather avoid cameos considering the cast from all TNG/DS9/VGR series have already aged somewhat (with one or two exceptions!)..but even knowing the series is in the same environment would be great.

I still stand by what I said about Enterprise - the cast would have worked well together if it was set in the future. Prequels however, imo; are boring as they don't allow for 'surprise' developments and lead to massive plotholes in overall canon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Considering all the women that Kirk shagged, would you be surprised that Marcus was his only child?

Considering all the women that Kirk shagged, would you be surprised that Marcus was his only child?

Ha, no not at all :p. I was curious about the canon, but I'm sure there would be one or two more running around somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I actually liked enterprise but my favourite series was voyager and there wasn't a kirk in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

my favourite series was voyager

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I actually liked enterprise but my favourite series was voyager and there wasn't a kirk in sight

srsly? :eek:

I dont have a link for it, but I read somewhere that one idea was that there would some kind of corruption within Starfleet / The Federation, which will not be obvious from episode one.

Tbh, and I say this as a lifelong star trek fan, I really dont know where a new series could come in. One problem with Voyager, IMO, was that technology seemed to have progressed a little too far, such that a rerouting of power from the EPS conduit could fix nearly any problem. This may just have been lazy writing, something which Voyager was also guilty of.

Also one of the problems with Enterprise, was Klingons. Any episode with Klingons was almost instantly boring, because it couldnt show us anything more about them that we didnt already know, and while the writers maybe thought it would be funny or interesting for humans to meet them for the first time, it was just tedious in my opinion. Until there is a borg-klingon alliance, the Klingon story line is over. That said, some of the episodes with Klingons from TNG are some of my favourite. So, again, it may just be lazy writing.

Advertisement