Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Govt encourages use of public transport over Easter

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jacko1 wrote: »
    good to see - and good to see that you can even get a peak time Dub-Cork return for €22 if you book early - just tried it and it actually works !

Really!! I just tried it and it is €71 return!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

try it a few weeks out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Will they lead by example? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

jacko1 wrote: »
    http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2011/04/minister-of-state-kelly-encourages-use-of-public-transport-over-easter-holiday/?cat=12

good to see - and good to see that you can even get a peak time Dub-Cork return for €22 if you book early - just tried it and it actually works !

Have done just that - got the train to Cork on Friday and will do the return journey on Tuesday. The way I look at it is that there are advantages and disadvantages to both the car and public transport - if I was going to Cork for a couple of weeks or so, I'd probably use the M7/M8 as I'd have more time to recover - mobility would also become a major issue over a longer period, but that said, it's not worth taking the car down for only a few days - in that case, the train is best as it is faster, less stressful and cheaper.

I also do the vast part of my commute by train, but use the car for the first couple of miles to get to the station - from there, the train is a no brainer - trains are great, but the major snag is the first mile regarding commuting journeys, that's where the car comes in handy. The car is also best for local trips like shopping and leisure trips. Having taken up driving recently, there's simply no looking back!

Power to the car and train!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

With public transport to Heuston, train down to Cork and then having to get picked up from the station, it actually works out cheaper for me to drive. Also much easier, more flexible and faster. Also I dont have to put up with IEs inconceivable lack of Quiet Carriages on their trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

"Minister of State Kelly encourages use of Public Transport over Easter holidays" by jacking up bus fares.

Is there nobody in control?!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Interestin... in navan we have no public transport....

maybe building that trainline they've been yammerin on about for the last 10 years mite be an idea....
    ....or maybe not ripping up the old one in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Interestin... in navan we have no public transport....

maybe building that trainline they've been yammerin on about for the last 10 years mite be an idea....
    ....or maybe not ripping up the old one in the first place!

Wha? You have a bus that goes every 15min to Dublin.

I remember reading a report by Navan Council about a light rail in Navan. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

if i use public transport over easter i ll be sitting at home, i ve choice of two buses a day, the public transport is a joke and is mostly way more expensive they using own car unless you live city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

mgmt wrote: »
    Wha? You have a bus that goes every 15min to Dublin.

I remember reading a report by Navan Council about a light rail in Navan. LOL

This is true but only really good if ya wanna go to dublin

If you want toget into navan from any of the surrounding areas you have to drive. Local public transport is non existent. Don't get me wrong, if I wanna go to Dublin I'm sorted, but if I just wanna nip down to the shop I need to drive. Anyone without a car is isolated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

If you want toget into navan from any of the surrounding areas you have to drive. Local public transport is non existent. Don't get me wrong, if I wanna go to Dublin I'm sorted, but if I just wanna nip down to the shop I need to drive. Anyone without a car is isolated

Eh, this is the same for almost every provincial town in the country. You can't expect there to be regular buses to bring you from your country laneway into town, just for you. This is why Ireland (and the world in general) is becoming a more urban based society. If you want decent public transport, live in a major town/city. I'm sure there are sufficient bus services within Navan town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

the bus service is a disaster and needs to be sorted. the (19.00)donegal bus went bus aras-airport-(next stop is Navan), back to the m50 (usually goes cross country from the airport... i do realise however m50 is faster), this is where the stupidity comes in, at 19.30 he took the n2 ashbourne road and then cut to Navan through Rathoath. in Navan 20.15. if he took the m3 he would have been in Navan 7.50ish. the incopetence is mind boggeling, and they expect people to use this service.(and the toll is not a excuse, for a bus it is 2e, paying the driver/diesel for half a hour is a lot more)
    a 4hr 20 bus doesnt have a chance against a car which will do it in 2hr 30 and for the same price when you pay for your diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

overshoot wrote: »
    the bus service is a disaster and needs to be sorted. the (19.00)donegal bus went bus aras-airport-(next stop is Navan), back to the m50 (usually goes cross country from the airport... i do realise however m50 is faster), this is where the stupidity comes in, at 19.30 he took the n2 ashbourne road and then cut to Navan through Rathoath. in Navan 20.15. if he took the m3 he would have been in Navan 7.50ish.

BÉ cannot operate on the M3 they don't have a licence. I believe private operators have been given a licence but have failed to set up a route yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

mgmt wrote: »
    BÉ cannot operate on the M3 they don't have a licence. I believe private operators have been given a licence but have failed to set up a route yet.
    but mcGeehans, only private operator along the south donegal/dublin route who im almost sure were bought by bus eireann, or at least joined with them (use bus aras, cavan & enniskillen depots, bus eireann sticker on the side, etc) run the rarity that are the direct buses and take the m3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I don't think it's realistic to expect every area of Ireland to be served by public transport and no one does.

However, Navan has numerous bus services:
    Navan Town service (3 routes)
    Route 109 to Dublin or Cavan
    Route 109a to Dublin Airport and DCU
    Route 107 to Dublin or Kingscourt
    Route 108 to Dublin or Bailieboro
    Route 188 to Trim or Drogheda
    Route 70 to Athlone (weekends)
    Route 30 to Donegal

The reality is that there would be insufficient demand for anything more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

encourage usage... really?

by running a sunday service on the bank holiday... not really helping anyone there
    recently nitelinks have been cut... no help there
    DB prices jacked up... no help there
    roads closed for parades etc... no help there
    any extra / new late running service to encourage people to get PT home after the pub... no, no help there

So apart from asking people to use PT what exactly have they done?

Advertisement