Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blue Bloods - CBS *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I think this might be a really good cop drama, but on the Friday Night Death Slot?
    Cheers Liz for covering all the shows. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jennifer Esposito joins this week as Detective Jackie Curatola. Jackie is the new partner of Danny Reagan.

I havent watched any of this so far - Is it any good?

I watched the pilot, it has a good cast, it's doing very well ratings wise...it's aimed at an older audience though, it's kinda an old school character driven drama.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I might give this a watch tomorrow, doesn't seem to be a whole lot being said about it on boards though, does anyone recommend it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭cena

isn't it coming on the new sky channel. looks really good

cena wrote: »

I think RTE has picked it up also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Watched the first 11 episodes there last week. It's pretty decent. Pretty strong cast apart from the guy playing the younger brother, although maybe that's just a poorly written part. Magnum does a good job.
    I found the episode ending with Magnum shooting the daughter's would-be-rapist a bit farcical and not in keeping with the show.

cena wrote: »

Starts tonight on Sky Atlantic at 10.30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just watched this last night. I had been looking forward to it but felt the Pilot fell flat.

Far too many convenient things happening for them to break the case and ultimately get the evidence they needed and the pacing was all over the place. Lets hope the cop stories in future episodes are not so poorly executed. I thought it was gonna be a tough gritty viewing when the little girl was kidnapped at the start of the episode but it never followed through for me and felt contrived and there was some cringey acting in there as well.

I'll give it a few more episodes before making a final decision but the pilot is a disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

djkeogh wrote: »
    Just watched this last night. I had been looking forward to it but felt the Pilot fell flat.

Far too many convenient things happening for them to break the case and ultimately get the evidence they needed and the pacing was all over the place. Lets hope the cop stories in future episodes are not so poorly executed. I thought it was gonna be a tough gritty viewing when the little girl was kidnapped at the start of the episode but it never followed through for me and felt contrived and there was some cringey acting in there as well.

I'll give it a few more episodes before making a final decision but the pilot is a disappointment.

I too watched it last night and couldn't have put it better myself. Will stick it out for another few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

watched the Pilot last night - purely on the strength of Tom Selleck, it was good enough I thought (but to be honest, apart from House, I don't think the quality of TV is up to much at the moment), but I wouldn't be dying to see next week's ep, I'll keep it on Series Link for a while and will stick it out, but if it turns out to be another Flashforward, we're going to have some issues!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Worst opening music ever? :pac:

Am a little cynical about the sheer number of family connections involved in the law, but I'll let that go. It seems like it's going to be more character driven than focusing on crimes or victims. I didn't really buy the dinner table scene in the pilot. Are we going to be stuck with one of those every week? That and some of the wearestatingthisincaseyoudontgetit dialogue was a little meh and ropey, but it's a procedural. The other Wahlberg is a likable enough lead. It's obviously going for a fairly mainstream audience, keeping things quite straightforward and that. A little bit hard to take it seriously when the Police Commissioner has a briefing room to rival 24 and a media/IT playpen to rival POTUS, but we all know about portrayal of IT our on screens... I'll give a bit longer to see how things progress. It's trying to weave things together and it's doing OK there, I think.

I logged on to post about episode 3, but I can't remember what I wanted to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I like it, I've watched the first 14 episodes with 2 still to air.

Like you said it's straightforward enough with nothing ground breaking, but it's good none the less. Some good episodes with a few excellent episodes thrown in.

And yes there's a dinner table scene pretty much every week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

haven't watched the 3rd episode yet but the 2nd episode was an improvement. I'm gonna give it a few more to see whether it grabs me but while better than the pilot was it still mightn't live up to it's promise. Selleck is a big draw for me but he's fairly muted in this so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaraghMAC

You are obviously not too smart!! NYPD are famous for Family links!! This a great show! I have watched all of the cop shows based in NY ant this is good! Bring on Season 2

DaraghMAC wrote: »
    You are obviously not too smart!! NYPD are famous for Family links!! This a great show! I have watched all of the cop shows based in NY ant this is good! Bring on Season 2

^ wait...did the forum rules change :confused: - can we insult people now? :eek: - 'cause i've got a TON of people on my hitlist for a verbal bashing! :mad:

[yeah - i'm looking at you Darko!]

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Don't even think about it, Rich.
    Infraction for DaraghMac.

Really enjoying the show, it's never going to be mistaken for a classic or a groundbreaking show but on it's own merits it's damn good entertainment. The cast are mostly terrific Wahlberg who has impressed before most noticeably in the brilliant The Killpoint is really maturing into a damn fine actor and Selleck is on top form.

I think a lot of my enjoyment of the show comes down to watching a fine actor such as Selleck get a starring role such as this, he's always been dependable in any role and much like Tom Betenger got something of a raw deal and was reduced to bit parts or low budget genre films.

Really enjoying the show, it's never going to be mistaken for a classic or a groundbreaking show but on it's own merits it's damn good entertainment. The cast are mostly terrific Wahlberg who has impressed before most noticeably in the brilliant The Killpoint is really maturing into a damn fine actor and Selleck is on top form.

I think a lot of my enjoyment of the show comes down to watching a fine actor such as Selleck get a starring role such as this, he's always been dependable in any role and much like Tom Betenger got something of a raw deal and was reduced to bit parts or low budget genre films.

I loved Donnie in Boomtown and I find his character similar in this to what it was in that well there are both detectives :p Will Estes is great also as the young brother. I'm enjoying the series so far hopefully it survives for a full season and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

I've watched the first 3 episodes, while I feel there's potential there, I'm still not sure what I'm watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

easy to watch stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

13 episodes in and the only thing thats keeping me interested in the back story about Joe. Never knew that New York criminals were so easy to break into pussy-cat snitches in the interrogation rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

threw the towel in half-way through last week's episode.........can't understand how the daughter never refers to her ex-husband by name (they are meant to be a close family after all) and why her character reminds family members of stuff that would be taken for granted...........sorry, I love Tom Selleck, but just couldn't watch it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I'm watching this as it appears on Atlantic so I'm on episode 6 or something.

I'm finding it a struggle to keep watching it even though the cast is quite strong. I dislike the "wonder" cop that is Donnie Wahlberg's character. The chap could walk to the toilet and solve a few murders on the way. And the dinners...christ, there was two in the last episode I watched. The "happy family" thing contributes nothing for me.

I'm going to hope that it picks up and hopefully "the Blue Templar" brings an edge to the show which is certainly lacking at the moment.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I agree it's a bit cheesy alright and the dinners are a bit cringey aswell.

It's ok for what it is but the Chicago Code and even Breakout Kings show a lot more promise and have more of an edge to them which I prefer. Will still stick with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

My intrest in this is fading,I think im on e15 or so and for me it doesnt go in depth enough.

You have the joe back story but apart from that every crime is solved in 1 episode.
    I came to it from the wire so probably expecting too much.

I havent watched the sopranos yet but I think this is produced by the same guys,so I expected more detailed plots.

Creators exit show, CBS are intent on fecking up the show!....i can see it being aced come May; http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/more-turmoil-blue-bloods-creators-exit/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I missed 2 episodes a while back, so I don't know if I've missed much on the
    Blue Templar angle,
    but I'm losing faith in it now. It's not badly made, it's just quite plain and middle of the road. Easy on the brain. Not wrong with that, and I'm not expecting another Shield or Wire to come along any time soon, but it in a sea of CSIs I was hoping we might get something different. Maybe even another Homicide: LOTS or Murder One some day. As Goose81 says, it ties things up within the hour and I think I'm about done with that formula.

• Advertisement

Quite tempted to ditch now. I don't think I can stomach the kidnapping of a minor being run through the procedural setup. In addition, most the one week characters - suspects and victims, are utterly forgettable. The leads have little to no interaction with colleagues on their unit, or a superior who has any dramatic weight and their squad room is a little lacking. OK, so it doesn't have time for colleagues when it's got the family stuff going on, but...ya know, two people can't save the world every week. ;)

Advertisement