Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government introduces Postcodes in Ireland..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thats crazy. Dont know how other systems are going to work down the country where there could be miles between houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

I don't want to lose Dublin 4 from my address thank you very much, my parents worked hard to give me that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

All the detail about Loc8 Codes and lots of questions answered here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69968180&postcount=82

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 boop de boop

RichieC wrote: »
    I don't want to lose Dublin 4 from my address thank you very much, my parents worked hard to give me that.

Loc8 Codes are to be used in CONJUNCTION with your original address (as already stated in posts in this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pancyk

Looks like Garmin and Loc8 Codes are back on Dublin Streets...

See here:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

RichieC wrote: »

Wow, that has to be one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard in my life.

My parents worked hard to make sure I got an excellent education and therefore job. Where you live is completely irrelevant.

Anyway, you can still have D4 in your address, it just wouldn't be necessary.

The following are all the same address and all would be valid:

NN4-39-DX7

RTE,
    NN4-39-DX7

RTE,
    Donnybrook,
    Dublin 4
    NN4-39-DX7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Er I would hazard a guess and say he was being sarcastic..

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I saw in the Programme for Government, something about postcodes, any news on this? What was it they wanted to do differently to FF?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There was a debate on the topic last Wednesday evening, when I happened to be in the Dáil (on different business). You can read it here.

There seems to be growing support for the idea of a GPS-based code rather than an arbitrary postal code.

Following on from the above: the sum total mention of post codes in the legislation that allows for them is as follows:
    PART 3

Postcodes
    61.--(1) In this section--

"postcode"means a code consisting of numbers or other characters or both numbers and other characters that identifies the locality of an address and, where appropriate, the geographic location of an address;

“distribution” and “postal packets” have the meanings assigned to them respectively by section 6.

(2) The Minister may establish, maintain and operate a system for the making available and management of postcodes for the purposes of providing routing instructions for the transmission, sorting, transportation, distribution and delivery of postal packets and such other purposes as the Minister considers appropriate relating to the provision of postal services.

(3) Subject to subsection (4), the Minister may delegate one or more of his or her functions under subsection (2) to such person or persons as the Minister considers appropriate for the purposes of this section subject to such terms and conditions as may be specified in the delegation, including terms and conditions relating to the dissemination of postcodes and the protection of intellectual property rights.

(4) A delegation under subsection (3) shall not be made without the prior consent of the Minister for Finance.
    On the plus side, it allows for the geographic location of an address by a postcode. On the not-so-plus, it seems to be heavily focused on the delivery of post, which is only one small part of what a location code is all about.

Still all to play for.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Following on from the above: the sum total mention of post codes in the legislation that allows for them is as follows: On the plus side, it allows for the geographic location of an address by a postcode. On the not-so-plus, it seems to be heavily focused on the delivery of post, which is only one small part of what a location code is all about.

Still all to play for.

They are still focused on "the locality" and the geographic coordinates they are talking about are only those of the center of "the locality" they mention (centre of 50 properties) - not much good for post (An Post do not need a postcode at all) and absolutely no good for couriers, utility companies, services providers, tourists and motorists in general etc etc.

The Process is on hold now for the last 6 weeks anyhow as new Government want to review. There'll not be even "locality" postcodes any time soon!!!

In the mean time Loc8 Codes already in use - no need to wait another 6 years to be able to find places in Ireland (north and south) without local knowledge, endless phone calls and driving around in circles burning expensive fuel unnecessarily.

Loc8 Codes have brought us into the Post Postcodes era already! :)

As I said;- Postcodes are ancient technology

Loc8 Codes are for the Post postcode (21st Century) era !

Yet another reason for Loc8 Codes;- a woman dies in Scotland when a man tries to resuscitate her and give directions to the ambulance at the same time - Ambulance couldn't find them in time - reported by the Scotsman ;- and this is in the UK which has a 1950's type postcodes - same as the Department of Communications have been talking about introducing here for the last 6 years - only a less accurate version!

Loc8 Codes are for the Post Postcode era (location based technology era) and much more accurate;- and how accurate the map on the device in the ambulance is does not matter one bit once you have a Loc8 Code!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

thebman wrote: »
    Roughly, D4 heads want to stay D4 heads and the government must chose the most expensive, least effective solution for everything that is available on the market in an attempt to please everyone which can't be done so we are left with something that costs crap loads to maintain and implement that nobody wants to use.

Its gonna be awesome!

most "D4" people don't live in Dublin 4, they live in 6, 6W, 14, 18, etc. Not to mention that Irishtown is hardly a "D4" area despite being in D4.

Yet another reason for Loc8 Codes:

An Amercian unable to find Bodenstown Cemetery or the Nixon Quaker Stone in Timahoe.

All is required is for someone who knows the locations to create Loc8 Codes for the sites and make them public on websites. A Loc8 Code is free to generate.

Tourists who have difficulty finding places will not try again and will stick to close-by places only - leaving many tourist attractions unfrequented by visitors to Ireland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Icepick

secular education
    postal codes

Slowly but surely Ireland is introducing the great achievements of the 20th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

In donegal there are 3 postal areas, Donegal Town, Lifford and Letterkenny.

So you could have: 10 Newport heights, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
    Then you could have 10 Barrington Ave, Dungloe, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

These 2 places are 30 miles away. If someone was coming up from dublin looking for 10 Barrington Heights they would prob ask for directions to letterkenny and then find they were 30 miles from the place. Its a completely joke of a system. The sooner we have proper postcodes the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,772 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Where are you getting these addresses from? The above are not valid postal addresses, or anything like any valid address I can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Where are you getting these addresses from? The above are not valid postal addresses, or anything like any valid address I can find.

I made up the street names for illustration purposes. Dungloe and letterkenny are the valid parts

I don't think there are any actual postal addresses like that but you are welcome to prove me wrong.

• Advertisement

sollar wrote: »
    In donegal there are 3 postal areas, Donegal Town, Lifford and Letterkenny.

So you could have: 10 Newport heights, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
    Then you could have 10 Barrington Ave, Dungloe, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

These 2 places are 30 miles away. If someone was coming up from dublin looking for 10 Barrington Heights they would prob ask for directions to letterkenny and then find they were 30 miles from the place. Its a completely joke of a system. The sooner we have proper postcodes the better.

and what are proper postcodes? - those being discussed by DCENR which will only identify the centre of 50 properties? - i.e. no improvement on an existing townland addresss - or do you mean a modern alternative like Loc8 Codes which are already available, will indentify individual properties and non properties, you can create for yourself, they can be used in modern technology, you do NOT need permission from Governmment to use, no need for the Government to spend €43 million of taxpayers money, you do not have to wait 6 years so far to decide what to do and you don't end up with the same as in Northern Ireland which does not help you find places outside urban areas...

Postcodes are 1950's technology - is that what you consider proper postcodes?- they are extremely limited and of no value in Ireland unless every property owner agrees to adopt and use a house number and accepts that every road must have a name???

no need for that - Loc8 Codes are for the Post Postcode era - already here and useable on modern technology... the web, Garmins, Iphones and much more on the way!

I don't think there are any actual postal addresses like that but you are welcome to prove me wrong.
    Many addresses in Erris end with "Ballina, Co. Mayo" - Erris is a good long way from Ballina. Similarly I have a friend whose postal address is in County Mayo although he lives in County Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

I don't think that we need post codes in Ireland.

Why are they necessary?

Many addresses in Erris end with "Ballina, Co. Mayo" - Erris is a good long way from Ballina. Similarly I have a friend whose postal address is in County Mayo although he lives in County Sligo.

Well, that is true. But that doesn't happen so much in Donegal anymore. They fixed up the address database from what I can see.

The worst of the cross-border addresses seem to have been knocked out too. (Although a good 15 percent of the addresses in the State have a location in a county that no longer even offically exists).

hatz7 wrote: »
    I don't think that we need post codes in Ireland.

Why are they necessary?
    Would it be a lot to ask that you'd read the thread before weighing in with, frankly, a silly question?

You are right - there are places in Waterford whose postal address is "Youghal Co. Cork". Postal addresses are not physical addresses and therefore are not often very useful unless you have local knowledge - not useful to a courier or carpet layer or a SKY TV installer....

The problem is that in this country's consideration of postcodes at DCENR level all discussion is related to compounding this problem. The general population think that it is going to be unique to their house and it will contain the placename where they live. With 64k townlands and a plan to have 200 post town names there will be a lot of disappointed people and a lot of postcodes that have unrecognisable abbreviated place-names included that are not in anyway related to the phyiscal address/location. Not to mention related arguments over Irish or English.

Postcodes are only designed for sorting mail; traditionally including visual clues as to where sorting should take place - do An Post need this knowadays? - Not at all and sorting is done by machinery anyhow so visual clues are no longer required...

Anyhow what is proposed (on hold yet again - 6 years later) will only indentify areas not properties...... pointless really!

Postcodes were for another pre machinery, pre GIS, pre routing, pre GPS, pre courier, pre home-delivery era.... Loc8 Codes are for now;- "the Post Postcode Era" - using modern technologies to help the 400,000 vehicles that waste up to 20% in fuel anually trying to find places; -for delivering services directly to homes, farms, industrial sites, offices, along roads, to leisure and sporting facilities, to outdoor events and including the Emergency Services;- including to non properties that may have no postal address at all. These 400,000 vehicles will not have their problems solved or costs reduced by a 1950's style postcode that does not help them find places!

Loc8 Codes are language and service provider independent and will save time and fuel and are already available - no need to wait for 6 more years of discussion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Don't want them, don't need them.

By getting rid of our townlands off our addresses it will remove one of the things that makes Ireland different to nearly every other country.
    uniqueness of place

I don't want anyone to be able to pinpoint my house on a map.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Oh well, if you don't want or need them, then I guess we'd better shelve the whole project.
    By getting rid of our townlands off our addresses it will remove one of the things that makes Ireland different to nearly every other country.
    uniqueness of place
    Uniqueness? Do you have any idea how many "Lissaniskas" there are in Mayo? How many of them are within a couple of kilometres of each other? There's nothing remotely unique about townland names.

Besides, who's asking you to get rid of it? There wouldn't be a law against having a townland name and a postcode on an envelope. You'd still have the twee factor that seems so important to you, combined with getting rid of the whole "oh you mean the other Ballyglass" factor.
    I'd quite like an ambulance to be able to pinpoint my house on a map, thank you very much. For that matter, it would save me a lot of time and hassle if couriers were able to find my house without me spending five minutes giving directions - and I live in a town!

People living in towns can have their houses pinpointed on a map by address alone. What makes you special?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

Even with drink on me, i can see that postcodes are a good idea.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

nice_guy80 wrote: »

uniqueness of place

as an ambulance driver/paramedic, i can tell you that you DO want anyone to be able to pinpoint your house on a map.
    the alternative in an emergency, is very time consuming.

Advertisement