Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The shark eating thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sharks are pretty perfect

Perfectly tasty for an orca whale :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Galvasean wrote: »
    Perfectly tasty for an orca whale :)
    Megladon :p

Megladon :p

As it turns out, it has been thypothesized that orca whales played a part in the downfall of the megalodon, out-competing and possibly predating upon their young.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

A Tv documentary recently put forward that there was a large toothed whale that hunted Megalodon in packs. Not an Orca but an earlier version. I can't remember the name of the creature I am afraid, but I know one of you will have heard of it.

Rubecula wrote: »
    A Tv documentary recently put forward that there was a large toothed whale that hunted Megalodon in packs. Not an Orca but an earlier version. I can't remember the name of the creature I am afraid, but I know one of you will have heard of it.

Brygmophyseter? - a cousin of the sperm whale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Brygmophyseter? - a cousin of the sperm whale.

From Jurassic Fight Club >.< Bad show...

There is also Leviathan (yeah, I know about the new spelling but I don´t really like it XD)

Yeah that paleontologist / interviewee guy they have on it is quite the head wrecker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As it turns out, it has been thypothesized that orca whales played a part in the downfall of the megalodon, out-competing and possibly predating upon their young.
    what eats sharks ?

dunkleosteus-a.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

what eats sharks ?

dunkleosteus-a.jpg

Or this...

shark_vs_croc_australia.jpg

Small shark, tho. BTW what an amazing Dunkleosteus pic :D John Sibbick, N'est-ce pas?

mmmm shark
    2ecoxw9.jpg

• Advertisement

Or this... scavenging but shark-eating at the end of the day. I have a better pic of a hyena eating a shark in my computer but, I think you can´t upload directly from your hard drive to the forum?

stripedhyena_cjr.jpg

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Small shark, tho. BTW what an amazing Dunkleosteus pic :D John Sibbick, N'est-ce pas?
    supposedly 2m long - so it's about the right size for a person
    will look up the book later on

forget T-Rex - Dunkleosteus hd biggest teeth ever ?

That Livyatan whale is supposed to have had the biggest teeth ever...

supposedly 2m long - so it's about the right size for a person
    will look up the book later on

forget T-Rex - Dunkleosteus hd biggest teeth ever ?

It didn´t have teeth, I think those scissor like things were modified jaw bones : >

Arf!
    sealion-eating-shark.jpg&sa=X&ei=AMKxTYa7C4jLhAfHmYzrCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEfeAnmP0PG-W3zP8mjtkNMv-nhvg

Liopleurodon:
    liopleurodon.jpg&sa=X&ei=5cKxTcqzIMLOhAebkInrCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFE_U1Sr_u1aYH1Qd51okQeGdaL2g

Hyneria:
    Hyneria_g.jpg&sa=X&ei=_8KxTd3MBsqohAeTr4TrCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Dw&usg=AFQjCNFBMVTXhE80Z0sNhdmKzjbeqMKXow

Mega%2BShark%2BVs%2BGiant%2BOctopus.jpg&sa=X&ei=p8OxTdatDc6HhQfB4o3rCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4IQ&usg=AFQjCNGszH2oPgmespaJzQjwKr5P7L70bw

Arf!
    sealion-eating-shark.jpg&sa=X&ei=AMKxTYa7C4jLhAfHmYzrCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEfeAnmP0PG-W3zP8mjtkNMv-nhvg

Liopleurodon:
    liopleurodon.jpg&sa=X&ei=5cKxTcqzIMLOhAebkInrCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFE_U1Sr_u1aYH1Qd51okQeGdaL2g

Hyneria:
    Hyneria_g.jpg&sa=X&ei=_8KxTd3MBsqohAeTr4TrCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Dw&usg=AFQjCNFBMVTXhE80Z0sNhdmKzjbeqMKXow

Mega%2BShark%2BVs%2BGiant%2BOctopus.jpg&sa=X&ei=p8OxTdatDc6HhQfB4o3rCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4IQ&usg=AFQjCNGszH2oPgmespaJzQjwKr5P7L70bw

These pics have caused Bruce a nervous breakdown

tumblr_lioinrmG011qc0iam.gif

Did somebody say.... BRUCE!?!?!?
    BatmanVsShark.jpg&sa=X&ei=k8WxTb3zHY-KhQeU6MnrCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGJ_Hr5J_ZGAxX_FsV7orzRaXahVQ

Did somebody say.... BRUCE!?!?!?
    BatmanVsShark.jpg&sa=X&ei=k8WxTb3zHY-KhQeU6MnrCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGJ_Hr5J_ZGAxX_FsV7orzRaXahVQ

WTF!! XDD

Adam Khor wrote: »
    It didn´t have teeth, I think those scissor like things were modified jaw bones : >
    a mouth full of mother freaking guillotines

The big Dunk is really just a tiddler you know.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/10/1001_031001_biggestfish.html

I think some of those shark eating fish may have been this fella too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanichthys

• Advertisement

The big Dunk is really just a tiddler you know.
    I know , but for it's time it was a monster
    and it still has wicked choppers

NIVUl.jpg

As soon as I get my printer fixed I would like a copy of that.

Thank you very much Cap'n.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I know , but for it's time it was a monster
    and it still has wicked choppers

NIVUl.jpg

Some serious messing about with sizes going on in that pic if they are meant to be somewhat to scale.

Leedsichthys looks in the 80 foot range in that pic. All recent studies on it have put it in the 30 - 35 foot range with a few saying it may have had a maximum size of 50-55 foot.

The Archelon in the pic looks to be three or four times longer than the human, but the largest ever fossil remains were from a specimen estimated to be about 13 foot long.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Some serious messing about with sizes going on in that pic if they are meant to be somewhat to scale.

Leedsichthys looks in the 80 foot range in that pic. All recent studies on it have put it in the 30 - 35 foot range with a few saying it may have had a maximum size of 50-55 foot.

The Archelon in the pic looks to be three or four times longer than the human, but the largest ever fossil remains were from a specimen estimated to be about 13 foot long.

The pic is from Tim Haines' Chased by Sea Monsters, which is from the same "litter" as Walking with Dinosaurs. I have the Walking with Dinosaurs book and it explains how the series creators would often base their creatures on undescribed and fragmentary remains. For example, Stegosaurus is officially "only" 9 meters long but there were fragmentary remains found in the US that suggested that larger individuals, probably up to 12 meters long, had existed. So of course they embraced this maximum estimate. They did the same with Diplodocus, Ankylosaurus and Ornithocheirus, and more famously with Liopleurodon.
    So I wouldn´t be surprised if this was their modus operandi with Chased by Sea Monsters as well.
    Even so I don´t think the pic is all to scale; the Xiphactinus looks almost as long as the Elasmosaurus and the "Megalodon"...

Re: Leedsichthys.

http://www.big-animals.com/leedsichthys-problematicus-the-biggest-fish-there-ever-was/

Quote:

Because nobody has ever found a complete Leedsichthys skeleton, it’s not clear how big, exactly, Leedsichthys Problematicus grew. Modern estimates put it at 50 to 75 feet long (16 to 22 metres), making it the biggest fish ever – bigger than the Whale Shark or the Megalodon ! Not everyone agrees, however

The Xiphactinus is way too big. He could swallow a human like a pea!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Re: Leedsichthys.

http://www.big-animals.com/leedsichthys-problematicus-the-biggest-fish-there-ever-was/

Quote:

Because nobody has ever found a complete Leedsichthys skeleton, it’s not clear how big, exactly, Leedsichthys Problematicus grew. Modern estimates put it at 50 to 75 feet long (16 to 22 metres), making it the biggest fish ever – bigger than the Whale Shark or the Megalodon ! Not everyone agrees, however

Those estimates are based on old research. Pretty much all research since 2003 has them in the 30-25 foot range with the possibility of a few 50-55 foot outsized specimens. The 60, 70, and 80 foot estimates have long since been discounted and put down to overestimation and incorrect scaling up from fossil finds.

To be honest I think that poster is one of those things they pin up in a school for science class. None of the sizes look right really.

Thanks for the info Kess.

280 million years ago back in the Permian there was mesosarus it looked like a croc so it may have gobbled the odd shark too

how long have remoras been around ?

• Advertisement

how long have remoras been around ?

I think the oldest are from the Eocene. Could be wrong tho...

Advertisement