Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

link rd. to motorway

• 07-04-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Does anyone else notice that the signage where the new link rd. to motorway meets the motorway is very confusing?..I witnessed a driver moving into the right hand lane into oncoming traffic where the road divides the first week it opened...its as if the sign for straight ahead is telling you to keep right [and thereby going into the lane coming from the motorway] and the sign for left to dublin is telling you to remain in left hand lane...every week I notice fresh skid marks on the road at that point and the sign in the middle of the road is damaged from someone driving into it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Surprised there hasn't been more accidents there tbh

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

The one I'm surprised hasn't happened is coming off the Northbound (up from Waterford) M9 onto that link rd (J8), failing to make the tight bend after the short exit lane and plummeting down the bank onto the link road underneath because there's no barriers, just a grassy bank.
    Not even a bent sign to show that someone's had a close one yet.... Probably because most people exiting use the J9 (Danesfort) exit and J8 is quiet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I drive the new link road exit and entrance every day...I can't see how you could get it wrong really, its very clearly marked. Also, if the road is two way, why would it suddenly become one way just at the split? The traffic coming towards you has to have come from somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ottostreet wrote: »
    I drive the new link road exit and entrance every day...I can't see how you could get it wrong really, its very clearly marked. Also, if the road is two way, why would it suddenly become one way just at the split? The traffic coming towards you has to have come from somewhere!

Definitely have to agree. The road is very well marked and you are given plenty of advance warning. If people head straight onto oncoming traffic like you say they shouldn't really be on that road to start with!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ottostreet wrote: »

Basically the only way you can get it wrong is if your not paying attention imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭padyjoe

That might be skid marks form the 5-0's. One day was coming from Dublin, marked Mondeo was on a hard shoulder with the lights on, had passed by and kept checking the mirrors. The car set off with no flasher on, and left the motorway at the KK's exit. There's a concrete wall where the 80 kph zone begins and ends just before the next 100 sign. In beetwen there are plastic reflective signs dividing the 2 opposite lanes. When the card reached the end of the wall he turned around onto the lanes to Dublin and Waterford. Was no oncoming traffic, no flasher either. I wonder how much would this turn cost me if I did that? Obviously there's no such a thing if you are driving a spots and stripes car and no road code applies either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Another thing about the link road is the number of cyclists I see on it. I saw one on the way home this evening and I though, what an idiot. When I got to the Clara road roundabout, I realised there's no signs there to warn cyclists that the road only leads to a motorway. If a cyclist was coming from Carlow to Comer to Kilkenny and home, s/he wouldn't realise that they're on the wrong road as the sign clearly states Carlow. I think an advisory sign at the Hebron road roundabout and a warning sign at the Clara road roundabout would be recommended.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

There's a big MOTORWAY sign, which lets astute road users know the road leads onto a dedicated cycle lane motorway.

I thought it was mentioned on the Motorway Ahead signs whichs a list of vehicles/animals not permitted on a motorway....presume that one covers cyclists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fabbydabby wrote: »
    There's a big MOTORWAY sign, which lets astute road users know the road leads onto a dedicated cycle lane motorway.

Usually signs leading to a motorway are in blue (see photo) so astute cyclists know not to go on those roads but the ones on the link road are in green which would make cyclists without local knowledge believe that they're going onto a national road which will lead them all the way to Carlow. The signs do tell you you're going to the motorway but they don't tell you that you're only going to the motorway, which is a bit harsh on a cyclist if he has to add an extra 10km onto his route. I also believe it isn't beyond possibility that a cyclist will end up on the motorway because of this.

M20sign.jpg

• Advertisement

I was heading to Carlow this afternoon at half 3, expecting cops on the link road. None. When coming back around an hour later, they were at full blast. One of them was checking the cars on the long straight section, the other, the grey Mondeo was closer to the first roundabout towards the city, got a van pulled over there. A cyclist was on the way to the motorway, just leaving the above mentioned roundabout, as far as I saw from the mirror, he wasn't stopped by the grey one. I wonder what happened when he had reached the checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Daemos wrote: »
    Surprised there hasn't been more accidents there tbh
    Saw a near one there last week on 22nd. Car in front of me pulled over to the right hand side of the road just approaching where the plastic poles are, (luckily no oncoming traffic),and suddenly swerved back across my path when he realised his mistake. He was heading towards Waterford and I suppose he thought he had reached the North-South divide (that DUB WAT sign). It's human error and roads should be designed to allow for it. I can't understand why they didn't just put a normal junction with two roundabouts and a flyover at J8.

Well, they should consider moving the Dub-Wat sign a few hundred metres down the road so that people could only see it when they are in the separated lanes and it would be impossible* to get it wrong then...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Was driving to the motorway yesterday evening from the Hebron side and had just past the Clara roundabout exit when i passed a cyclist, i was like :eek: but then realised its not until you drive further along this stretch that you meet the big blue sign that really shows you that you are about to merge onto the motorway. we need better signage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The signage is correct.
    The link road is the N10 and cyclists are allowed on N roads.
    Of course they can go no where and will have to turn around when they get to the plastic bollards,U turns are allowed on N roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

op here again...since my initial post the sign in middle of road has taken another blow. Also as you head out towards motorway the metal barrier on the right hand side has been hit by a vehicle that moved into right hand lane towards oncoming traffic...skid marks are there aswell...and swerved to avoid crash....i'm telling ye theres going to be a serious incident there yet...i rang council about it months ago...they said they would keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

mick kk wrote: »
    ...i'm telling ye theres going to be a serious incident there yet..

Couldn't agree more. Does anybody know why there are large blue motorway signs on the N10 link road heading towards J8? A huge blue sign with a diverging lane can lead people to think they are on a 2-lane motorway and I think this is part of the problem as well as the confusing signage. I think those signs should be in green, the N10 is not a motorway.

Well if this road was like the Red Cow in Dublin. But it's not. Straight line, arrows to get back to your lane, white line, barrier. You won't miss it. But...From John Street turning onto Dublin Road at MacDonagh. I've seen at least twice people coming from the town taking a right turn almost drove onto the oncoming lane. We are human, make mistakes more prone to it when driving on unknown roads. Bit more attention and less likely to do something wrong.

New signs up and thank god for that, at least now you know you are heading to a motorway. :)

sign in middle of road took yet another hit since my last post...its flithered now!

• Advertisement

One thing I did notice the other day is the broken central line right up to the bollards.
    Should be a solid white line to prevent overtaking just before the bollards.

hi5 wrote: »
    One thing I did notice the other day is the broken central line right up to the bollards.
    Should be a solid white line to prevent overtaking just before the bollards.
    Huh?
    From memory I thought it was a (double?) solid line with arrows telling you to get back in to the left... will check it out later this morning.

Before the lanes get divided there should be a sign to say Motorway ahead.
    A 'Keep in Left Lane' before the division...
    Then a sign after the division to tell you what lane to be in up ahead.
    But I still bet the divider would get the odd smack... like how many times have you seen the tyre tracks straight thru (over) roundabouts?
    Signage needs to be right so it isn't part of the cause - stupidity will account for that all by itself.

i think what might help solve it is to remove all of the signage...the huge signs on the left hand side that tell you to go straight for waterford and left for dublin...the only signage that should be there is "all routes keep left"...then, further up past the divide they should then have the signs saying what lanes to follow....the confusion is when people going to waterford who dont know the route or who drove it once or twice [and expect to keep right at some stage for waterford]..see the sign that says left for dublin and right for waterford....then they see too lanes in front of them and they have to make a fast decision and accidently move into right hand lane thinking the one there in is the left hand one for dublin referred to in the sign...anyways, I am begining to sound obsessed with this and as if I dont have a life so this is my last post on this issue!..happy motoring.

Its as if the powers that be read this thread!

mick kk wrote: »
    Its as if the powers that be read this thread!

Agreed ;)

Sadly a fatal collision on the road this evening. Wonder was it the wet weather, road was quite slippy. Again, sadly i'm not too surprised either, pity the lanes aren't segregated, the risk of collisions is greatly enhanced as a two lane.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Sadly a fatal collision on the road this evening. Wonder was it the wet weather, road was quite slippy. Again, sadly i'm not too surprised either, pity the lanes aren't segregated, the risk of collisions is greatly enhanced as a two lane.

I'm deeply sorry to hear this.

According to RTE, a 68 year old woman was killed,may she rest in peace.
    They also said it was a single vehicle accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

2 sisters were travelling together. Driver survived but passenger died. So sad :mad:

• Advertisement

Look the like it happened at the end of the bollards too,skid marks from left lane to right,barriers badly damaged on the KK bound lane.
    Tragic.

Advertisement