Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 3 (PS3) Flashing Red Light

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

scano.ie wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHgCa3XEPic

I copied these videos and worked a charm. To be honest its not that hard and really you dont have much too loose you can try it the cleaning solution and paste cost about 25e in pc world and the heat gun I got a lend of one but i'm sure you could rent on.

My view is that if you get it working you have saved 300e on buying a new one for the cost of an old pre-played game

best of luck

Holly, you really don't have a clue! You have now made the possibility of somebody with proper BGA rework equipment being able to repair it in a week when it fails almost nil. Not so smart :rolleyes:

Google, thermal shock

Try reading this http://www.siliconfareast.com/solder-reflow.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

I think everybody should avoid the tallaght crowd, they are by the sounds of it just waving a heatgun around!

i agree ,got my cash back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I agree with avoiding the lads in Tallaght. I got the YLOD and brought it to them. They fixed it and when I got it back it was working but it kept on asking me to set the date and time every time I turned it on. Anyways it was working for about a week when the YLOD reared it's ugly head again. So I got them to "repair" it again and the next time I got it back, they didn't bother to reconnect the fan! So I decided to look up a few vids and fix that myself which wasn't too hard but when I opened it up, I could see that they didn't reconnect the battery lead which was causing the date / time issue. I reconnected that and it was fine. The PS3 probably worked for another week before the YLOD came back again. That's when I decided to get a refurbished PS3 which is what I should have done in the first place. I think if you are getting a YLOD on your PS3, you are only delaying the inevitable by getting it fixed. You're probably better off doing what I did and getting a refurbished version cause for me, getting it fixed was like rolling up €60 and throwing it in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

I agree with avoiding the lads in Tallaght. I got the YLOD and brought it to them. They fixed it and when I got it back it was working but it kept on asking me to set the date and time every time I turned it on. Anyways it was working for about a week when the YLOD reared it's ugly head again. So I got them to "repair" it again and the next time I got it back, they didn't bother to reconnect the fan! So I decided to look up a few vids and fix that myself which wasn't too hard but when I opened it up, I could see that they didn't reconnect the battery lead which was causing the date / time issue. I reconnected that and it was fine. The PS3 probably worked for another week before the YLOD came back again. That's when I decided to get a refurbished PS3 which is what I should have done in the first place. I think if you are getting a YLOD on your PS3, you are only delaying the inevitable by getting it fixed. You're probably better off doing what I did and getting a refurbished version cause for me, getting it fixed was like rolling up €60 and throwing it in the bin.

same thing for me ,i got it fixed from those lads ,it worked for a week and a half maybe ,i also got the date and time thing i didnt bother to open it myself ,i left if with console pros ,mentioned up above .awaiting a reply from him

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cynical Apathy

After watching a video on YouTube I fixed mine, the guy does warn that it's not a permanent fix but it's better than nothing and all you need is a small philips screwdriver and a hair dryer...

1.. unplug everything and turn PS3 upside down.
    2.. open panel on side, unscrew the blue screw, lift wire handle and slide hard drive until it comes out, leave HD to one side.
    3.. leaving PS3 upside down, get hair dryer and blow hot air into the BACK PART ONLY (HD panel will be on your left) for 15 minutes. PS3 will get very hot.
    4.. next blow COLD air into the BACK PART ONLY for another 15 minutes or until it's completely cooled.
    5.. replace hard drive.
    6.. plug in and see if it works.

I was just about to go to xtra vision to buy a new one until I tried this, I'm hoping I can get away with repeating this every so often. FYI, I've one of the fat ones that came out first.

Anyway, hope this helps someone!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

After watching a video on YouTube I fixed mine, the guy does warn that it's not a permanent fix but

Hi, the inevitable called - they want to know when you're picking up a new PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

My ps3 is a 60 gig launch model I've had I hoover mine out.. every week when I hoover my room... :D it only take a couple of seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭jones

I have the launch 60 gig model also and have never have a minutes trouble with it.....until yesterday. It has done some serious gaming/media streaming for the last 5 (?) years but YLOD has struck!!! :eek:

Is there any point actually trying to fix this myself or am i just delaying the inevitable?
    (I am watching gilksy on youtube at the moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jones wrote: »
    I have the launch 60 gig model also and have never have a minutes trouble with it.....until yesterday. It has done some serious gaming/media streaming for the last 5 (?) years but YLOD has struck!!! :eek:

Is there any point actually trying to fix this myself or am i just delaying the inevitable?
    (I am watching gilksy on youtube at the moment)

If you have a 60GB launch model, do not attempt any of thy diy fixes. Despite what people claim, all they do is at best give your console a little more life at the expense of being able to fix it properly.

Get in touch with consolepro's maybe about having it reballed, the 60GB launch model is the only model really worth repairing properly so I'd urge you not to ruin it with any youtube 'fixes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭jones

Thanks for the advice. Do you think its worth fixing? I dont want to put money into something that might go again in a month? Ps does reballing actually fix it long term?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jones wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Do you think its worth fixing? I dont want to put money into something that might go again in a month? Ps does reballing actually fix it long term?

As for if I think it's worth it? Yes, a 60GB launch model is worth having properly repaired. Any other model I'd say no, but those models are the most desirable of PS3's.

As for if it will go in a month/long term fix? Reballing is the recommended fix, & comes with a hefty warranty which backs up the costs. It completely removes the cheap lead free solder on the cpu/gpu & replaces it with leaded solder which is a far higher quality than used initially. The problem of the solder cracking/breaking over time is then completely fixed & most reballed ps3's will outlast any new models sold today, or even ones fixed by Sony. The Sony fixed ones still use the factory solder which is the whole problem to begin with.

Bear in mind, reballing & reflowing are completely different fixes. A reflow only 'reflows' the existing solder, fixing any breaks. This may last an hour, a week, a day, a month...but a reball is more likely permanent.

The ebay diy repair kits & youtube videos are all horsepoo, usually giving you enough time to salvage stuff from the hdd but warping the mainboard in the process which means a reball is no longer an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

This is what fixed that stupid blinking red light problem for me http://howtofixstuff.blogspot.ca/2013/09/how-to-fix-blinking-red-light-on.html

Hair dryer is only a temporary fix, issue is with the thermal paste and you have to get it reballed.
    Not necessary to drag up a year old thread really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

So was playing skyrim, ps3 was only turned on 5 mins, it froze, switch off then the 3 beeps & flashing red light.
    Did the hair dryer trick & it seems to work but fan is like an airplane taking off!!
    Couple of questions:
    If I buy a 2nd hand ps3 and input my old hard drive (350gb seagate) will it automatically format it & I lose everything?
    Do you think ps3 price will drop once ps4 launched? Think GameStop offer 500gb & FIFA 14 for €299

Thanks!

Keith C wrote: »
    Couple of questions:
    If I buy a 2nd hand ps3 and input my old hard drive (350gb seagate) will it automatically format it & I lose everything?

Yes.
    Keith C wrote: »
    Do you think ps3 price will drop once ps4 launched? Think GameStop offer 500gb & FIFA 14 for €299

Thanks!

Don't know about a price drop, maybe in the new year.

You can get a 12GB PS3 for less than E200.

Back up your game saves if you haven't already !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

eddhorse wrote: »
    Back up your game saves if you haven't already !!
    Ah sure it'll be good to start over all those games from the last 5 years from scratch, be like getting 60 new games!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Sorry for the long post...

So the same thing is after happening to my launch day 60gb ps3. Was playing GTA V earlier, and the ps3 became non responsive to the controller. However the game did'nt freeze, the cargobob i was flyinh kept going and crashed a few seconds later.

Since it wasnt responding to the controller, i turned off the ps3 by holding down the power button on the front of the ps3. It shut down, grand or so i thought.

I went to restart it and the light goes green for a few seconds then yellow for a fraction of a second and then starts flashing red. I left it a few hours but its still the same now.

So any ideas what it could be? GTA V is still stuck in it too :(

I tried hovering dust out of the fans but no success. Should i try opening it up to see if their is dust inside it?

It's probably out of warranty, you can get the game back by either dismantling the Blu ray drive or hair dryer trick, or was there some way of getting the thing to spit it out, worth a google

Link http://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1783

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

flying11 wrote: »

So the same thing is after happening to my launch day 60gb ps3. Was playing GTA V earlier, and the ps3 became non responsive to the controller. However the game did'nt freeze, the cargobob i was flyinh kept going and crashed a few seconds later.

Since it wasnt responding to the controller, i turned off the ps3 by holding down the power button on the front of the ps3. It shut down, grand or so i thought.

I went to restart it and the light goes green for a few seconds then yellow for a fraction of a second and then starts flashing red. I left it a few hours but its still the same now.

I tried hovering dust out of the fans but no success. Should i try opening it up to see if their is dust inside it?
    Same thing happened me today, but I got GTA V disc out by turning off at back switch and I turned it back on again while pressing eject. Got the disc out in time before PS3 died again. Give it a go. I am half thinking about following a tutorial and trying to fix the problem,but the price of heat gun is putting me off. In Argos in the North the Ps3 500 gb and The last of us, Beyond two souls and Unchartered 3 is on offer for £200 Good deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

flying11 wrote: »

Pangea wrote: »
    Same thing happened me today, but I got GTA V disc out by turning off at back switch and I turned it back on again while pressing eject. Got the disc out in time before PS3 died again. Give it a go. I am half thinking about following a tutorial and trying to fix the problem,but the price of heat gun is putting me off. In Argos in the North the Ps3 500 gb and The last of us, Beyond two souls and Unchartered 3 is on offer for £200 Good deal!
    Posted already in other thread about fixing mine with hairdryer, but was also playing gtav when mine failed!

• Advertisement

http://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1783

How to get out disc without powering PS3

No game sharing discussion allowed.
    It is illegal.

Advertisement