Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you all pleased with your solar panels for hot water heating

• 29-03-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Just thinking of starting a poll on this. Is everyone here happy or not with their solar panels, performing as expected?

How do you feel about your new solar panels 36 votes

Happy
    44% 16 votes
    Disappointed
    55% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I'll sticky this awhile and add

Please indicate

cost
    year of installation
    m2 area
    orientation
    flat plate or tubes
    cylinder size
    summer heat dump strategy ( if any )

Reminder - no trade / company names please

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

€6254.72
    05/2006
    6m2
    FP
    SSW
    400 litre
    No heat dump needed.
    Tip: Clean panel glass regularly, it gets dirty and loses efficiency.
    happy

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

2900 euros
    08/09
    3m2
    vacuum tube
    sse
    300 litre
    small rad in hotpress for heat dump
    happy so far looking forward to a summer with them
    self install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

€800
    2.1m2
    flat panel
    south
    140litre standard preinsulated twin coil cylinder
    no heat dump, max temperature observed 66C
    self install, gravity system... cylinder is higher than panel, therefore no pump required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Missed this and missed poll
    I never see stickies :eek:

c. Ir£3300 (may have been £3500)
    6m2
    FP
    S
    300 litre
    No heat dump, but excess is used in paddling pool or water slide!
    No less thrilled than I was 12 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Poll is closed :)

2,400 euro.

Between 4 and 5 sq. m.

45 degree pitch. Due S.

200l stainless triple coil.

No dump option.

Very happy, the company I bought from are very helpful, and provide excellent backup. Controller is a snazzy affair, with options to control a backup immersion element, temp settings and a 3 channel timer, as well as control of pump on the feed side (didn't need this as I have rock steady mains pressure, and converted to a non vented system at the same time). House is 12 years old, and well insulated (timber frame-with a lot of retro-fitting going on-I'm doing a major refurb atm).

Temp is hitting the high fifties with solar input alone at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duffman21

Roundy,

Will you PM me the details of the company you used.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Constanople

Will you PM me too Roundy with Details of company used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 confused_help

Will you pm the company as well please. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Hey roundy could you also pm me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Roundy , could you pm me that company's name too please ? Oil price starting to hurt !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickrick1

Roundy - I would be much obliged if you would PM me details of the company also please. Cheers Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Charlie 08

me too roundy!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

2,400 euro.

Between 4 and 5 sq. m.

45 degree pitch. Due S.

No dump option.

Very happy, the company I bought from are very helpful, and provide excellent backup. Controller is a snazzy affair, with options to control a backup immersion element, temp settings and a 3 channel timer, as well as control of pump on the feed side (didn't need this as I have rock steady mains pressure, and converted to a non vented system at the same time). House is 12 years old, and well insulated (timber frame-with a lot of retro-fitting going on-I'm doing a major refurb atm).

Did you get Flat Panel or Vacuum Tubes???

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Holla23

Can you please PM me too.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

2,400 euro.

Between 4 and 5 sq. m.

45 degree pitch. Due S.

No dump option.

Can you post the comapny used in the thread for all to see? else PM me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭championc

cost - €5000
    year of installation - 01/2010
    m2 area - 3m2
    orientation - Due South about 25 deg pitch
    flat plate or tubes - tubes (30)
    cylinder size - 180L
    summer heat dump strategy ( if any ) - None

Delighted with system. With lower volume of water, this allows for higher potential rise in temperature. Remember, you have to raise the WHOLE store of water 1 deg C at a time. I also went for an option for the controller to be able to store my data - useful for spotting any problems in the future in addition to seeing the real benefits of the system.

Here's my data from a Sunny day 15 June 2010. Temperature rise of Store of 30 deg C
    15062010.jpg

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

€3800 (net of grant)
    Nov 2010
    c.8m2
    South
    Pitch ? (standard tiled roof)
    Tubes (x60)
    300L
    Small radiator in hot press

Very impressed so far despite the cold winter. Saving amost €1/day on ESB through eliminating the use of electric showers and the immersion. Some savings on Gas heating as well but not sure how much yet (we only need to heat the tank for a couple of hours in the evening now as we have a bigger & better insulated heat store).

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Katz83

Deepwell wrote: »
    €3800 (net of grant)
    Nov 2010
    c.8m2
    South
    Pitch ? (standard tiled roof)
    Tubes (x60)
    300L
    Small radiator in hot press

Very impressed so far despite the cold winter. Saving amost €1/day on ESB through eliminating the use of electric showers and the immersion. Some savings on Gas heating as well but not sure how much yet (we only need to heat the tank for a couple of hours in the evening now as we have a bigger & better insulated heat store).

Hi you mention a radiator in the hot press is this linked to the solar panels and if so is it just the one radiator linked to them and was this more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

The radiator is connected to the solar system and only heats when the hot water tank has got has reached its maximum set point (about 80'C I think). It was recommended by the installer and was included in the price.

• Advertisement

It's basically a heat dump / safety device

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gar44

If I could get the name of that company pm'd to me as well roundy that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigalk

mee too Roundy. thanks!

We have a B&B and require a lot of hot water during Summer months so hopefully solar is a no brainer. To date I am quite impressed with system performance but will know a lot more by Sept/Oct 2011.

Cost: 6150 nett of grant
    Year of installation: March 2011
    Area: 10 msq
    Orientation: South/South West
    Flat plate inroof (natural slate roof)
    Cylinder size: 500 l
    Summer heat dump strategy: none
    Grant 1500

We will also have a tax relief next year on capital expenditure so total project nett cost will be about 5000 when this is taken into account.

Break down of prices:

Solar panels/Cylinder/Controller/Flexible pipe/Pump basically all solar related equipment 5000 incl VAT

Plumber labour plus blending valves/copper piping and other peripherals used 1450

Roofer 700

Scaffold 500

The real thing with solar is somewhat as to how you heat water when you have NO solar energy but more importantly, as to how you stop this from activating when you do have solar heated water. Your gains will come from the power you don't use so it's very important you have the correct controls in place for this to work effectively.

Personally, I have a Combi boiler which instantaneously heats water and sends it to the hot taps if there is no hot solar water available. If solar hot water is available, it goes straight to an anti-scald valve and then goes to the hot taps directly. I have the advantage of being able to send warm (but not hot enough) pre-heated water to the combi for heating up to the required temperature.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just a thought on solar.....

Solar provided hot water. Hot water accounts for 20% of your annual heating bills. Assume worst case that each bill is 300 euro every 2 months so thats

300 x 6 = 1800

20% of 1800 = 360

So if the adverage system seems to be around 3k

thats a payback time of 8 years.

that does not include associated costs of maintenance and power used by pumps.

Granted it meets your green obligations but it does not push the energy rating of your home up much and seems like a long payback for a rethro fit.

I agree that a condensing boiler costs less and generates more return.

Just a thought on solar.....

Solar provided hot water. Hot water accounts for 20% of your annual heating bills. Assume worst case that each bill is 300 euro every 2 months so thats

300 x 6 = 1800

20% of 1800 = 360

So if the adverage system seems to be around 3k

thats a payback time of 8 years.

that does not include associated costs of maintenance and power used by pumps.

Granted it meets your green obligations but it does not push the energy rating of your home up much and seems like a long payback for a rethro fit.

I agree that a condensing boiler costs less and generates more return.
    Yes Joey I replaced my standard oil boiler with a condensing boiler last Summer prior to installing solar this Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

cost: €6000 ish
    year of installation: 2002
    m2 area: 5m
    orientation: South, 37deg elevation
    flat plate or tubes: Flat Plate
    cylinder size: 300 litre dual coil
    summer heat dump strategy: have lots of baths!
    Max temp observed: 97 deg C

I had a contractor fit the panel to the roof but i installed the rest.
    The pump costs less than €20 a year on leccie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭steveq

Hi,

I am planning on installing a Solar Panel system now.

Could you PM me the details of suppliers that you were happy with?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

steveq wrote: »
    Hi,

I am planning on installing a Solar Panel system now.

Could you PM me the details of suppliers that you were happy with?

Thanks in advance.

Best to state where you are located..

Advertisement