Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M8 McDonalds/Topaz service station at Cashel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Here's a picture of the site from last Friday:

DSCF3682.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 arnaldo

ahhh deadly mc donalds in cashel!!!! :D

Just some photos from today, Wednesday 12 January:

DSCF3719.jpg
    DSCF3720.jpg
    DSCF3721.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

Thanks for the pics. I was in Cashel today myself and saw the work going on and it all looks in full swing.

I reckon I'll fill up there very regularly. I dislike the Tesco filling station as there's no food to be had there, and the ones in Cahir are pricey.
    I'll get a Quarter Pounder when it opens, but I doubt I'll be frequenting McDonalds more than once every few months.

• Advertisement

The NRA has tendered for archaeological investigations of its site in Ballytarsna for the official M8 motorway service area. I hope construction begins before the end of this year. This service area would be identical to those that recently opened on the M1 and M4. Massive, modern, spacious, 24-hour, with direct access from the motorway. A new bridge will be constructed across the M8 during works.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Tremelo wrote: »
    The NRA has tendered for archaeological investigations of its site in Ballytarsna for the official M8 motorway service area. I hope construction begins before the end of this year. This service area would be identical to those that recently opened on the M1 and M4. Massive, modern, spacious, 24-hour, with direct access from the motorway. A new bridge will be constructed across the M8 during works.

wow, isnt that just up the road a couple of miles from the new filling station/mcdonalds at Cashel? After they had to build the new slip roads as well I would imagine it is quite an expensive project - and I imagine if the one at "Ballytarsna" if bigger will probably have a bigger range and so get most of the traffic?

Was this new one allways on the cards? Will it be more of a compeditor to the Horse and Jockey than mcdonalds? (Am I right in thinking the one on the m1 has "ordinary" food and a burgerking?)

Will a new bridge involve the closing of the road?

macjohn wrote: »
    wow, isnt that just up the road a couple of miles from the new filling station/mcdonalds at Cashel? After they had to build the new slip roads as well I would imagine it is quite an expensive project - and I imagine if the one at "Ballytarsna" if bigger will probably have a bigger range and so get most of the traffic?

Was this new one allways on the cards? Will it be more of a compeditor to the Horse and Jockey than mcdonalds? (Am I right in thinking the one on the m1 has "ordinary" food and a burgerking?)

Will a new bridge involve the closing of the road?

Yes, it will be quite close to the where the M8 passes the back of Germinal Ireland. It will be a far superior site to the Topaz McDonalds development: it will be open 24/7, 365 days a year; it will have a play area for kids, showers, loads of parking, probably a Burger King, Costa Coffee, newsagents, deli, wifi, landscaped surrounds. I'd imagine it will take the lion's share of business from the McDonalds Topaz site to be honest. However, McDonalds will also be relying on custom from Cashel town/Golden/New Inn/ even Cahir. It won't be entirely dependent on the M8. The NRA complex will, however.

They will have to close the M8 to facilitate the construction of the bridge but traffic disruption will be minimised. This is taken from the EIS:
    The construction of the M8 Cashel Service Area requires an overbridge over the M8 motorway to allow access to and from the northbound carriageway.

The bridge could be either a two or three span structure. A two span structure would require a pier to be constructed in the median of the existing M8. This would require the M8 to be widened locally to allow a widened median to facilitate the pier and associated safety barriers. The construction of the widened median would result in significant disruption to traffic on the M8 and is therefore not a favourable option. It is therefore recommended that a three span structure is provided with piers located west of the verge of the northbound carriageway and diverge, and east of the verge of the southbound carriageway where the existing lay by shall be removed.

Bankseats will be provided at the top of the embankments. This will result in a main span of 27m and side span of 12m. The structural form of the bridge would more than likely consist of precast pretensioned concrete U beams with a composite in-situ reinforced concrete deck slab supported by integral twin concrete circular piers and bankseat abutments. Foundations would most likely be concrete pads for both piers and bankseats depending on ground conditions. The exact structural from will be determined at detailed design stage.

However, McDonalds will also be relying on custom from Cashel town/Golden/New Inn/ even Cahir. It won't be entirely dependent on the M8. The NRA complex will, however.

From Thurles and possibly Urlingford too.

Our house is just a mile and a half from the new proposed site at Germinal; we'd be about half-way between it and the Jockey, but as we're on the now old Dublin-Cork road we'd need to get on the motorway before we could access it, unless of course there's a rare entrance planned for the locals:)

McDonalds are now hiring for the M8 service area restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BMWGirl

Yea their opening end of may, interviews are early april:D

BMWGirl wrote: »
    Yea their opening end of may, interviews are early april:D

That's great.

I remember watching a documentary when living in Paris which covered the opening of a new MacDonalds in some town somewhere in France and one of the things the new place did was hand out free food to the first costumers. Is this a practice here in Ireland, as well? Be nice if they did it when they open the one in Cashel:)

I heard McDonalds've hired approximately 20 people and are training them after Easter. I have a few photos of the site here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 subzeropeck

Heading down tommorrow to fit the fridges, should be open by the end of the month

Really? Wow. That'd be great. Looks like there's still a lot to do though inside and in terms of roads, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kvancas

I heard McDonalds've hired approximately 20 people and are training them after Easter. I have a few photos of the site here.
    I have heard that Mc Donald's have hired over 70 staff and the opening date is May 18th, Maybe they'll bring it forward a day and the Queen can do the grand opening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭todd10k

I'm a dublin boy living in thurles, and i can say that this'll be great. I love a bit of maccers every now and then and the nearest one was in roscrea. This should be good :)

Confirmed opening on 18 May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mplbourke

they have it almost fully built now, i was wondering if anyone knows when it wil be open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Did the previous post not give you a clue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 dougal707

does any one no when topaz (cashel) are holding interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

dougal707 wrote: »
    does any one no when topaz (cashel) are holding interviews?

Topaz held two seperate days of an Open Interview process about three weeks ago. They held the in the Cashel Palace Hotel.
    Seems that they have
    1. Manager
    2. Two Assistant Managers
    3. An Administrator
    4. Four Supervisors
    5. Twenty odd Part Time Operatives

Full Staff of thirty or so.
    I went for the Assistant Managers Position and was Interviewed three times in Cashel before being asked to attend another Interview in Dublin. After four interviews you would obviously share in my confidence that I was going somewhere but unfortunately received a curt two sentence E Mail saying that I didn't get "shortlisted"!:(
    I mailed them back to see where along in the process that I failed but as yet have received no reply:confused:.
    I did get the feeling all along the process that they were eager to promote from within.......

. After four interviews you would obviously share in my confidence that I was going somewhere but unfortunately received a curt two sentence E Mail saying that I didn't get "shortlisted"!:(
    I mailed them back to see where along in the process that I failed but as yet have received no reply:confused:.

That's just downright rude. I really hate when companies treat people like that, given the amount of time and effort you put into the process.

thats just out of order!! i applied for all posts advertised, thought i might of at least gotten an e mail thanking me for applying but........ instead i got nothing this seems like a **** company, on that note i was lead to believe from newspaper reports that these jobs where for people in CASHEL not employing from all over!!!! .........this has left me feeling very pissed off.

topaz you have lost a customer before even opening your doors!!!

dougal707 wrote: »
    , on that note i was lead to believe from newspaper reports that these jobs where for people in CASHEL not employing from all over!!!!

To be honest, that was just a little naive. If a job is advertised, anyone can apply for it, regardless of where they're from. ;)

yes it was but it does not stop people in cashel being pissed off by topaz!:(

Opened today. Rather small. And not enough parking to cater for Dublin Cork traffic.

My wife was actually the first customer in the door and I was right behind her. We got some free ice cream and very nice it was too. Doors opened at about 10 past 11am.

Re the parking, aren't they planning on creating additional spaces? I heard something to this, somewhere.

Forgot to add that the staff seemed extremely nice and professional.

• Advertisement

pat13wx wrote: »
    My wife was actually the first customer in the door and I was right behind her. We got some free ice cream and very nice it was too. Doors opened at about 10 past 11am.

Re the parking, aren't they planning on creating additional spaces? I heard something to this, somewhere.

Badly needed and strange that they didn't add those spaces when they were, you know, actually building the place up until yesterday ;)
    pat13wx wrote: »
    Forgot to add that the staff seemed extremely nice and professional.

I found that too. They were very nice. Lots of bosses and executives around today apparently.

Advertisement