Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPad/iPhone Emulation and Retro Games.

• 08-04-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭

Anyone here using the iPad to play emulators or retro games at all?

It's a damn good device for them I must say if you travel much and want to bring some retro goodness with you in a small package.
    And by travel I mean from Dublin to New York to Japan or just on the DART/Bus/Train in the morning heading into work.

Anyway, I've a list here of the some of the best ones I have, if you have any others please post a comment.
    You will need a jailbroken iPhone or iPad for the emulators or Cydia apps but they do have a few normal appstore retro games as well that are actually very good and a lot of them are just running on an official emulator.

One of the reasons I'm sticking this up is that the guys in work were always wondering why I bring a Wii controller with me when we are going away with work. I use it as a controller for the emulators on the iPad. I think they thought I was a bit mental, in fairness they're probably right :o

Here's a list of some of the emulators and retro games worth a look on the iPhone and iPad:

MAME: iMAME4all (Cydia) - decent version of MAME that supports about 2500 games at full speed.

SNES: Snes9x EX (Cydia) - A new and great SNES emulator.
    SNES: SNES (HD) (Cydia) - A SNES emulator that allows you to use the iPhone as a controller and and the Ipad as the screen.

NES: NES A.D. + (Cydia) - NES emulator thats works very well.

GBX A.D.X + (Cydia) - Game Boy emulator (Looks best on the iPhone as the iPad screen is a bit big for it)

Commodore: C64 (AppStore) - A well presented Commodore 64 emulator/App with a decent collection of games.

There are loads more retro games on the app store and Cydia, some good and some bad. Check out "Atari Greatest Hits" or "Capcom Arcade" for a couple of official new ones. "Atari Greatest Hits" also supports the upcoming iCade.

So, anyone else using the iPad or iPhone for a hit of retro goodness?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Old school games + on screen pad = fail

It may be able to runthe games but I just find those on screen pad solutions absolutely appalling. Maybe a slow paced RPG it will work but anything the requires any sort of skill and finesse, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Old school games + on screen pad = fail

It may be able to runthe games but I just find those on screen pad solutions absolutely appalling. Maybe a slow paced RPG it will work but anything the requires any sort of skill and finesse, forget it.

That's why I said I use the Wii controller. Most of the emulators support the Wii controller and the Wii classic controller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of defeats the purpose of it being portable though :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Kind of defeats the purpose of it being portable though :)

If you reckon.
    I travel a lot for work and have stopped bringing a laptop and just use my iPad/iPhone as the battery life is great and its very portable and does what I need it to do (without dying after 5 or 6 hours like most laptops or netbooks). The Wii controller fits nicely in my carry on bag as I rarely check in luggage, even when heading to New York or places like that. Plus its nice to be able to stick on a retro game when I'm back in the hotel and play away.

Obviously if I'm at home I can play the real thing or load up an emulator on the pc etc. But when you travel a lot every comfort you can bring with you is a plus, as long as it doesn't weigh that much :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I could see the attraction with the iPad or an Android tablet with the decent screen size and half decent controller via the Wii remote. But I wouldn't bother with it on a phone.
    I've tried the GBA emulator on my Android phone but the touch screen controls just get in the way and don't feel right (or I could just be crap using them). Personally I would just bring a DS Lite + an R4 card for any on the go emulation and leave the phone gaming to games designed for phones. :)

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I could see the attraction with the iPad or an Android tablet with the decent screen size and half decent controller via the Wii remote. But I wouldn't bother with it on a phone.
    I've tried the GBA emulator on my Android phone but the touch screen controls just get in the way and don't feel right (or I could just be crap using them). Personally I would just bring a DS Lite + an R4 card for any on the go emulation and leave the phone gaming to games designed for phones. :)

Yeah, the iPhone is not ideal. Your better of bringing a handheld. But if you have an iPad or other tablet then the bigger screen is great if you have a controller.
    The Wii classic controller pro is great, but if you don't have the space for it the normal Wii controller does the job as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

e762_iCade.jpg
    original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

i have EspgaludaII and DoDonPachiResurrection on my iPhone, and I find them pretty enjoyable to say the least. I found emulators to be a bit tricky to use, again due to the controls. Whereas the above 2 of been specifically customized for the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

I use a caanoo handheld for portable emulators. It may not pack as much power but at least I have buttons.

aidankkk wrote: »
    e762_iCade.jpg
    original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

I'm on the waiting list for this like a load of other people. As soon as I get that email I'm getting this.
    Will make a nice iPad dock if nothing else :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement