Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who wants to do medicine?

Options
  • 02-04-2011 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Who wants to do medicine? Where and what subjects are you doing? Do you think chemistry is worth doing to get into a five year course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I want to.

I have RCSI, UCD, NUIG and i'm considering to change one of them to TCD for Med.

I do Biology, Business, Chemistry and Engineering as my option subjects. You should do Chem for your LC as it gives you greater choice in university. Also, it is necessary should you apply to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Chemistry is worth doing because it's an awesome subject, full stop. :P I think it is worth doing, along with biology, to keep your options well and truly open when it comes to medicine, if you want to do the 5 or 6 year course and for your second choices to medicine (which would probably be in most cases science/health science related).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I hoping to do it in TCD (really not willing to go anywhere else, even if it might be slightly out of my grasp:()

I'm kind of torn on it a lot though. I might like to do science and then go into biochemistry, but I don't know what the job story is with that. Medicine will involve most likely moving very far away.:(

I'm kind of torn on it a lot though. I might like to do science and then go into biochemistry, but I don't know what the job story is with that.
    The pharmaceuticals industry hasn't been too badly affected in Ireland.

But are you not stuck in a lab earning very little money most of the time?

• Advertisement

But are you not stuck in a lab earning very little money most of the time?
    Possibly depending on what field you go in to.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

I hoping to do it in TCD (really not willing to go anywhere else, even if it might be slightly out of my grasp:()

I'm kind of torn on it a lot though. I might like to do science and then go into biochemistry, but I don't know what the job story is with that. Medicine will involve most likely moving very far away.:(
    Do you mind me asking why?
    Dont think theres a major diff in points anywhere is there? So should they not all be in your grasp? I'm sure you'll fly it anyway, were you happy with the mocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I hoping to do it in TCD (really not willing to go anywhere else, even if it might be slightly out of my grasp

So if you got offered it in your second preference and didn't get offered TCD would you repeat/or accept your second choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Im hoping to do Medicine next year. My only science subject is Biology. I know I'll be at a disadvantage to most others if I do get in but a genuine interest and the will to succeed should be enough to get through. I know someone who went in with just Chemistry and he got on fine. In his 5th year now.

NotExactly wrote: »
    So if you got offered it in your second preference and didn't get offered TCD would you repeat/or accept your second choice?

I don't know, its more that I can't afford to move away thats the problem. Even UCD would be close to a 2 hour journey both in and out, and I love Dublin too much to ever move to Cork or Galway.

I remember talking to someone about TCD med and they said it was 560, ie you had to get 600 points. I don't know how true that is though. I'm in 5th year and I got in the mid 500s for the Christmas tests, Summer isn't going to be great though :(

• Advertisement

I remember talking to someone about TCD med and they said it was 560, ie you had to get 600 points. I don't know how true that is though. I'm in 5th year and I got in the mid 500s for the Christmas tests, Summer isn't going to be great though :(
    That's not true.

The points for TCD med last year were 725.

If you got say 550 points you would need 175 points in your HPAT and you would have gotten in.

That's not true.

The points for TCD med last year were 725.

If you got say 550 points you would need 175 points in your HPAT and you would have gotten in.

But he said the minimum that got accepted were 560? Or something? I'd be much happier if you were right, I'm just worried I'd fall into random selection or however that works

But he said the minimum that got accepted were 560? Or something? I'd be much happier if you were right, I'm just worried I'd fall into random selection or however that works
    Nah, i'd imagine that's just exaggeration. Only 178 people got 600 points, I seriously doubt they all did TCD medicine!

Generally speaking for TCD at least once you get the points you get an offer. RCSI is the only one who regularly has random selection.

Nah, i'd imagine that's just exaggeration. Only 178 people got 600 points, I seriously doubt they all did TCD medicine!

Generally speaking for TCD at least once you get the points you get an offer. RCSI is the only one who regularly has random selection.

Thats what I was thinking!
    Thanks for clearing that up for me :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

If you got 510 points in the LC with a HPAT of 220 you'd get in before someone who got 600 (560) and only 160 in the hpat. Its on your overall, whatever you got in the LC. My class ranges from 520 to 600 and those who did better in the LC aren't necessarily flying through it easier than those who got less. In random selection it is supposed to be just that...random.

About your other comment, its understandable not to want to accept UCD/NUIG/UCC due to the costs but would you take RCSI?

I don't know, RCSI seemed so tiny at the open day compared to the other colleges but they are attached to Beaumont. Most of what I'm looking forward to about going to college is the amount and variety of people there. RCSI is only a bit bigger than my secondary school. In reality I'll probably take either of them, but moving county I would have to repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Was Tcd med not 731 last year?

Was Tcd med not 731 last year?
    It was...

My mistake :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

It was...

My mistake :o

That'd mean if you got 550, you still need to score in 90 percentile :eek: Ouch

Advertisement