Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardening Bargain Alerts Mega Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I bought 4 bags of compost for the price of three from Homebase. Pirce per bag was 6 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Discodog wrote: »
    It is interesting which offers sell. This morning one guy bought 4 of the lawn scarifiers. Many Lidl items end up being sold at car boots for a profit.

well this week all those battery powered strimmers are gone:( (everywhere)

maybe they should bring in a one per customer policy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

I bought 4 bags of compost for the price of three from Homebase. Pirce per bag was 6 euro.

wicks in limerick has westfield with added john innes 3 for the price of 2 13.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

flutered wrote: »
    wicks in limerick has westfield with added john innes 3 for the price of 2 13.25.

That is strange stuff !. Very little John Innes !.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pegleg peggy

The National Garden Exhibition Centre in Kilquade County Wicklow is holding an open Family Fun Day on May 22nd, and along with music, gardening and composting demonstrations, a BBQ and activities for the kiddies there will be half-price entry into the exhibition gardens. If you haven't been there before (and even if you have) its well worth a visit. There are 20 gardens by top designers (including Gold Medal winners at Bloom) and landscapers, featuring over 15,000 plants according to their leaflet. I was there last week and the variety and imagination on display is absolutely awesome. Thjerte's a new garden called "The Kettle's On" that features a beehive hut, a corbelled pond, a stainless steel teapot sculpture and a rooftop garden, all nicely pulled together through the use of brown and purple slate.

Entry to the display area is €2.50 :) on May 22, normally a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

flutered wrote: »

This stuff is full of stones.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CDog

I have the vouchers but Im not sure how to post it up, its a PDF document, got it from a friend. If I put it on my community website as a download is that ok with the mods or is there another way of posting it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Did my Aunts back garden in Dublin recently, trees, bushes etc.
    Got a garden shredder - never used one before - very impressed, although it would not be the best for out here.

But it comes with a free chainsaw

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=8059&loc=P&catid=102.13

20% of all Garden products including mowers this weekend B&Q

Either people have stopped using this or there are no bargains.

Lidl have garden tools etc on offer from Thursday. The ratchet loppers are a real bargain - they are on sale in Woodies at 4 times the price !.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lidl are very hit and miss with the quality of their stuff; what make are the ones in woodies?

The Woodies one's are Diarmuid Gavin €64.99. I use some Lidl tools commercially, including these loppers & they are excellent. But you are a few days too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Was in the Lidl in Finglas today and they have tons of gardening tools which they released last Thursday. Great prices. They have those telescopic power pruners. Have bought their Florabest brand stuff before and find them sturdy and have had no problems. Got a ratchet pruners (2.99) and garden saw (3.99) and telescopic shears. All are lethal sharp and make light work of a ton of stuff I have piled up to cut down and shred.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Hi

Just came out of Brooks down in the Royal Liver Business Park off the N7 and they have a Champion 2400w Garden Shredder for €50. when I asked why they were so cheap I was told they found a bunch of them in the stock room and were clearing them out as they dont carry them anymore.

These normally retail for over €130.

Needless to say mine is in the back of the car:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Walk in greenhouse 36.59
    This is a great one for seedlings, overwintering plants etc.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7201981/Trail/searchtext%3EGREENHOUSE.htm#tabrev

This is a full size one, cheaper for 50 euro at Homebase actually
    and you can buy replacement covers for it at 20 euro

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7201998.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Aldi, good little sprayer 9.99 - and vinegar at 39 cents per half litre, great way to save money on home made weed killer - i.e 1 litre vinegar, 60 grams salt, good squirt of washing up liquid and spray on a sunny day.
    Kills off path weeds for up to two years, cheaper than roundup and you know exactly whats in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭secman

Aldi have a bag containing 100 bulbs for €5.99 going on sale on thursday morning. Even if only 1/2 of them survived its good value.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    Aldi, good little sprayer 9.99 - and vinegar at 39 cents per half litre, great way to save money on home made weed killer - i.e 1 litre vinegar, 60 grams salt, good squirt of washing up liquid and spray on a sunny day.
    Kills off path weeds for up to two years, cheaper than roundup and you know exactly whats in it.

Brilliant, thanks for that, Z.
    Would it be ok to use this on lawn weeds as well or would it kill the surrounding grass?

You might know what is in it but it may not be good for the environment. I know how Roundup works & I can read countless test reports unlike with the home made.

jprboy wrote: »
    Brilliant, thanks for that, Z.
    Would it be ok to use this on lawn weeds as well or would it kill the surrounding grass?

The mix I make will kill pretty much everything, and keep the ground clear for about 2 years because of the salt.
    However, for stuff like docks etc. you can apply it to the leaves and it will knock them out.
    Discodog - this home made version works, tried and tested.
    For particularly tough patches, I heat it up before application.

• Advertisement

I normaly advise when possible to buy in local Irish outlets, but I got a great deal on ebay for the soil test kit I got.

When developing a kitchen garden, getting the pH right is important.

www.thenurseries.com - Preston Bisset Nursaries in England do a great deal on a kit I got via their ebay shop - but you can also order them direct

A Westminster test kit will give you approx. 30 tests - more than enough for 2-3 years for me, and thats a fairly large kitchen garden.
    It only cost £5.95 + £2.25 postage.
    That is a real bargain, its very easy and simple to use, giving accurate results.
    I looked at electronic soil testers, but for the affordable ones the reviews were poor, so it is this kit I would recommend.

OK folks, for most plants you need to be getting them in the ground now.

For anyone living in the South Mayo / Galway area, Paddy Price in Clifden are selling off their remaining seed at €5 a stone (half price) and still have a decent range of spuds.

If nothing else it is a great excuse to take a spin into Connemara on this glorious weekend - enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

Recently bought 10 litres of decking oil for 80 euro delivered.

http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/special_offers.html

Very fast delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭eliza64

http://www.facebook.com/JohnstownGardenCentre

Johnstown Garden Centre
    Free tomato plants today and Sunday for all customers to the store. Choose any 5 absolutely free!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Discodog, have you read this report?

Discodog, have you read this report?

I have never encountered Roundup resistance & this thread is about bargains not weedkillers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newtown Warrior

In woodies the other day and bought a Ryobi 22" petrol hedgetrimmer for 99e reduced from 149e.

Cuts well, does the job and saves going to the hire shop.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

B&Q are doing a big sell-off of their baskets, liners and supports. Picked up 3 x 14" baskets for 1 euro each this morning. Stock up now for next year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

redser7 wrote: »
    B&Q are doing a big sell-off of their baskets, liners and supports. Picked up 3 x 14" baskets for 1 euro each this morning. Stock up now for next year :-)

They're not reduced in the Waterford branch, only garden furniture and bbq stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

All Fothergill packet of seeds half price in Homebase many on the shelves are dated 2013 exp date. Good time to stock up for next year!! :)

Advertisement