Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Returning to Scouts

Options
  • 21-02-2011 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hey all,

I've been toying with the idea of going back to scouts. I was in Cubs years and years ago but I wasn't what you'd call "outdoorsy" back then. Now however, I've seen the error of my ways and it seems like something I could really make a go of. I'm going on 21 and apparently, that's the cut-off age for Rovers according to the Scouting Ireland website.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Finscout

Hi,

You're right that the upper age limit is 21 for the Rover Scout section, but don't let this put you off. As a 20 year old you can become an adult member. Being a leader gives as much enjoyment. I'm sure you're old group or a local group would be delighted to welcome you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

Thanks for the reply.

Also, would the fact that I have absolutely no scout skills have any bearing on becoming a leader or could I actually learn as I go about qualifying?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

First step is to approach your old group and see what section needs leaders. If it's like most Groups, then they'll welcome you in any section.

Most likely they'll let you try it out for a few weeks to make sure you like it before you commit to training you in etc, but training is provided by local and national training teams and you'll be surprised as to how quickly you pick up the basics.

Aside from 'scouting skills', the most important thing you'll need is a good attitude and rapport with kids. Everything else will come as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Always good to see someone coming back into the fold.
    If you're still near your old troop go down to them, I'm sure they jump at the chance of having another leader.
    Have a look at your experiences and what you enjoyed and were best at. It could be knots, map and compass. Pick one and use that as your stepping stone.

Don't worry about getting training for yourself right off, in most groups there's plenty of knowledge you only need to know who to ask

Best of luck and welcome back
    R (long time scout)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Reading the OP; I thought it was a mirror reflection of the exact same situation I am in at the moment. (I'm also 21). I think I will wander down to my local (old) scouts and see what they say. Hopefully they would be welcoming. It's been atleast 10 years since I was a member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Your biggest problem is them likely to be biting your hand off in welcome :D

With all the ridiculous new H&S and child protection guff needed these days its putting huge numbers of people off being a leader so anyone who is even vaguely interested should be welcomed with open arms.

Advertisement