Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI vs IICP

• 11-03-2011 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Wondering if people in the know could let me know their thoughts on both of these schools?

I'm currently doing the Certificate in Psychotherapy with PCI which I'm really enjoying. I want to go on further and earn the degree and am just wondering which institute has better accreditation etc. Opinions on courses etc.

Someone on our course wanted to go on to the Liberties to do the full time course and was told that the Certificate/ Foundation in Counselling & Psychotherapy was not acceptable. :eek:

I don't want to do a course and spend all that money only to find out that it's worthless!

Am in a bit of a rush to get applications in so would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

What is IICP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hey all,
    Wondering if people in the know could let me know their thoughts on both of these schools?

I'm currently doing the Certificate in Psychotherapy with PCI which I'm really enjoying. I want to go on further and earn the degree and am just wondering which institute has better accreditation etc. Opinions on courses etc.

Someone on our course wanted to go on to the Liberties to do the full time course and was told that the Certificate/ Foundation in Counselling & Psychotherapy was not acceptable. :eek:

I don't want to do a course and spend all that money only to find out that it's worthless!

Am in a bit of a rush to get applications in so would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks guys.

There are two sides to it the academic side; IIRC PCI's degree is accredited by the University of Middlesex, or some other UK Uni. I can't remember but is it an ordinary or Hons degree. I know of people going on to post-grad study so that side of things is ok.

The other side is the professional body side of things, you need to be a member of a professional body, to be a member of such a body generally involves more than academic qualifications. This would include personal therapy, a set amount of client work and supervision for that work

PCI lost it's accreditation with the ICAP, but AFAIK this was due to someone not getting the paper-work in on time rather than the course itself. Check with the IACP if this has been addressed. I'm not a member of that organisation, but I have meet a good few therapist who work in the HSE or other organisations, who have done PCI's BA and would be members of the IACP.

So check out if it's a Hons degree as the difference between an honours degree and an ordinary one can be significant depending on what post-grad course you apply for. Then check with the IACP about the current status of the course with them.

In relation to post-grad have you any idea of what you would like to do after your degree? PCI is well known and many of its past students are working in the HSE, other community organisations and of course private practice.

Have you look at DBS as an other option?

Hopefully some of PCI's former students will be long over the coming days and may be able to answer your question better than I can. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

First question is do you have a degree already? Because if you do then you should choose a postgraduate level course so that you will be future proofed for statutory regulation.

I think it is necessary for any prospective student to assess how courses will look under future statutory regulation as opposed to right now. I've experienced both and I think the quality of teaching in the 2 colleges are similar enough. As things currently stand both PCI's diploma / degree and IICP's diploma will be enough to get into the IACP after 400 hours of client work.

In the future you will need to have studied a 4 year programme to be recognised as a counsellor (will need to be at postgrad to be recognised as psychotherapist). IICP's degree is 3 years long, so irrespective of HETAC accreditation this will not be sufficient. At least PCI's degree (technically Middlesex University's degree) is 4 years long.

Read the proposed statutory regulations (opens Word document) and perhaps make an informed decision based on that:
    http://www.psychotherapy-ireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/download-registration-of-psychological-therapies-submission-september-2008.doc

I don't know what the person who said that about PCI's foundation course not being acceptable to get into The Liberties was talking about - 100 hours is as long as they get.

It's not that statutory regulation is coming in any time very soon (it will have to wait until at least all the already designated 12 professions have their boards up and running), but it could well be here by the time you graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kindnessnow

Hi,
    NCPII is an option you might like to look at and it is HETAC awarded. It is accredited with ACAP.
    just another option, have a look at the NCPII website and ACAP Website.

Hope its of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Thanks for the help guys.

Judging by the way things are looking, the 4 year Hons Degree would be the better option for the future?

What difference does HETAC accreditation make?

The person on my course was told by the Liberties college that the foundation course from PCI was not acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

What difference does HETAC accreditation make?

None. It's just a statutory accreditation of a degree from outside the university sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi,
    NCPII is an option you might like to look at and it is HETAC awarded. It is accredited with ACAP.
    just another option, have a look at the NCPII website and ACAP Website.

Hope its of some help!

Does the NCPII entitle a graduate for membership of a more recognised body?
    Whilst I'm not a member myself I would recomend the IACP membership to a new student far more recognised. I do not know one therapist working in the HSE who belong to ACAP.

OP I know little of ACAP but I do not that most psychotherapy positions will accept IACP membership, so for general psychotherapy that is the body I recommend to students. In my team of about 12 therapists in the HSE only two of use are not IACP members.

Advertisement