Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cider

• 10-03-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

I'm a cider loving brit who's after recently moving to the emerald isle.
    I'm in the Athlone area.
    2 questions for you all

1. Whats a nice Irish cider? Preferably a scrumpy cider with all the gut cleansing bits clouding it up :D.

2. Where can I get some? Are there any cider farms around my area or not too far away?

I'm craving me Apple juice, I've tried the Bulmers (called Magners in England, Bulmers in England is a Summerset Cider), I've also tried to Devils Bit, and some other cider, think it was called Lindon Village. The Bulmers AND THE devils bit are ok, the Lindon is piss. I could murder a nice pint of Scrumpy this weekend.
    Cheers ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If you're in Dublin the Celtic Whiskey Shop off St Stephen's Green carries Double LL Irish Cider, which is amazing - as good as anything from Somerset. You can buy it direct from the maker's site and he's at farmer's markets too - http://www.fruitandvine.com/Double_L_Irish_Cider__Real_Cider_from_Irish_Apples-recordid-6-z-products_overview.htm

Weston's Scrumpy Cloudy is decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I've had Westons quite a few times in England, its quite nice, I'll take a look at that site cheers.
    My fav cider so far has been Henleys, from the Cornish cider farm. The vintage is gorgeous. If you ever find yourself in Cornwall and your a cider drinker, visit the cider farm.
    I bought 5 litres of scrumpy from there 1 yr, 7.5%. Then read label when I got home and it had to be drank within 3 days of opening :eek: , I saved it for christmas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

You could try asking here or make some homebrew, that's my plan :D
    Wine and Beer forum

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From AH

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

On AH, and the first reply recommended Double LL? I'm impressed!

OP, at the moment it's basically Double LL or nowt. You can order online from DrinkStore. The Double LL website is here.

There's a new cider maker on the way called Stonewell, but they're keeping tight-lipped about their ingredients and processes so I don't really know how the end product will turn out. Time (cider's second-most important ingredient) will tell.

• Advertisement

Cheers
    I didn't realise there was a wine and beer forum, hadn't seen it :o

I'll give that drink a try asap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

John Kepplers cider and Druids Celtic cider are other Irish brands of cider

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    John Kepplers cider
    No idea where that's from. Anyone?
    Druids Celtic cider
    Made in Birmingham.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Kepplers cider is from Cork
    http://kepplerscider.com/

wasn't aware Druids was made in the UK, thought it was Irish...oh well!

Kepplers cider is from Cork
    http://kepplerscider.com/
    Where are you getting that from? C&R drinks, who own Kepplers cider, are from Cork. I don't see any information on where the product is made. What am I missing?
    C&R wrote:
    John Kepplers is what the Irish drink
    Hands up, I've been drinking in Ireland for a few years now and I'd never heard of the stuff before this evening and have yet to see it on sale.

• Advertisement

Kepplers isn't around a long time, only since 2009. We sell it in our off licence in Tralee & its a great seller... its actually canned by Bulmers Ireland and as far as I know made in Ireland :)

So chances are it's made by C&C ("Bulmer's Ireland") too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

druid's is made by showerings aka bulmers

paconnors wrote: »
    druid's is made by showerings aka bulmers
    Where do you see that? Every reference I've found (like this one on Wikipedia) says it's by Aston Manor.

Anyone have a can handy?

I actually did some work on the alarm at Aston manor brewery.They make all kinds of cider for loads of companys, they even had labels for bottles of Bulmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Speak it's name and it shall appear. After reading about Kepplers on friday in this thread and then a trip to the local centra to pick up something for the weekend there was a small few cans of Kepplers sitting in the fridge. Tastes fine but I can't really tell much difference between it and other canned ciders tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm not a Cider drinker as I had a really bad experience with it when I was younger, but was recently brave enough to try some Bulmers and Koppaberg.
    Don't understand why these "Ciders" are not considered as as Alco-Pops, they are sooooo sweet, cloyingly so.
    However, I was out with the OH the other night and she had a bottle of Double LL and I had a taste of it. It was absolutely beautiful.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Don't understand why these "Ciders" are not considered as as Alco-Pops, they are sooooo sweet, cloyingly so.
    I don't understand this one either.

Here's a definition of cider from the Finance Act 1998:
    ‘cider and perry’ means cider and perry exceeding 1.2% vol. but not exceeding 22% vol. obtained from the fermentation of apple or pear juice and without the addition of any other alcoholic liquor or any liquor or substance which—

(i) imparts colour or flavour, and

(ii) in the opinion of the Revenue Commissioners, significantly alters the character of the product from what it otherwise would be.”.
    Breaking that down, we get "‘cider and perry’ means cider ... obtained from the fermentation of apple or pear juice and without the addition of any ... substance which ... imparts ... flavour".

I would have thought that the massive amount of sugar added to the likes of Bulmer's and other mass market ciders would rule them out of this category. But I don't think it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

True. A cider flavoured drink would be more apt description.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    True. A cider flavoured drink would be more apt description.

But they're not cider flavoured :D

How about alcoholic imitation apple juice :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

BeerNut wrote: »
    On AH, and the first reply recommended Double LL? I'm impressed!

OP, at the moment it's basically Double LL or nowt. You can order online from DrinkStore. The Double LL website is here.
    Link is down. Anywhere else you might be able to order this?

I see you can buy it on Cows Lane on Saturdays, - €6.50 for a 750ml bottle with discounts if you buy multiples

CiaranC wrote: »
    Anywhere else you might be able to order this?
    Celtic Whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Celtic WHISKEY have CIDER ?? Bit like the SUSHI place down Dawson St that does CURRIES etc. - WHY can't shops have names like CELTIC ALCOHOL SHOP and ASIAN FOOD SHOP. THEN they MIGHT get more business :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

John Kepplers cider and Druids Celtic cider are other Irish brands of cider

Both of them are Bulmers quality bilge water, Double LL only Irish cider I've ever tasted thats worthy of the name cider. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Where are you getting that from? C&R drinks, who own Kepplers cider, are from Cork. I don't see any information on where the product is made. What am I missing?

Hands up, I've been drinking in Ireland for a few years now and I'd never heard of the stuff before this evening and have yet to see it on sale.

They sell it in Spar, horrible sweet chemical stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pooly2020

Hiya all,

My wife and I used to live in Ireland and fell in love with Bulmers Cider. We are lucky enough to live near some "pubs" in Chicago that have Magners, but we miss seeing our Bulmers items that remind us of good ole Ireland.

We have been looking for a vintage Bulmers mirror for quite a while now, but to no avail. Does anyone have any clues on how we can track one down?

Much thanks
    Derek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Magners is the exact same as Bulmers it's just sold under a different name in the North.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Zombie thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement