Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MSC in Computing part-time, only taught during the day!!

• 14-09-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I applied to do a part time MSC in computing. Mabye i have the wrong view of a part time course, but i assumed it was part time as people have commitments such as jobs and need to do the course at night.

Well, apparently Griffith are doing the part time course, but they are doing it during the day, from 4pm-6:30pm, so they can share some of the classes with the full time MSC students.

Is this just a money saving stunt? Its just totally ruled me out of doing my MSC at Griffith as if I cant leave work at 3:30 to be in for 4, twice a week for the next 18 months.

Its my own fault for hedging my bets with Griffith. Now I have to wait until next year, and I will be sure to pick a school that actually caters for working people like DIT or UCD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

fguihen wrote: »
    I applied to do a part time MSC in computing. Mabye i have the wrong view of a part time course, but i assumed it was part time as people have commitments such as jobs and need to do the course at night.

Well, apparently Griffith are doing the part time course, but they are doing it during the day, from 4pm-6:30pm, so they can share some of the classes with the full time MSC students.

Is this just a money saving stunt? Its just totally ruled me out of doing my MSC at Griffith as if I cant leave work at 3:30 to be in for 4, twice a week for the next 18 months.

Its my own fault for hedging my bets with Griffith. Now I have to wait until next year, and I will be sure to pick a school that actually caters for working people like DIT or UCD.

Probably down to lack of students studying it.

The Higher Diploma in Computing (FT & PT) has been cancelled this year due to lack of numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

its still very annoying. I mean if i could attend at 4 in the day, chances are i would be able to do the full time masters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

A guy I work with is doing an MSc in finance in I *think* TCD and he is in the same boat as you, has to leave a couple of days a week at 3.30pm for a 4pm start, so it's not just GCD.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

A few colleagues in work did their masters in computing in DCU and their classes are 4-6.30pm as well. Seems to be the norm from what I've heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

both DIT and UCD do their part time MSC in computing from 6:30 PM. the full time course is the day course.

I didnt apply early enough for them this year, but will be applying for them in the next month for next year.

With times that dont accomodate workers, the group who would make the most of an evening part time masters, im not supprised Griffith dont have the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Eoing008

I'm doing the MsC in Computing in Griffith. Just to let you know part-time means for me starting at 11:30am on Tuesday and 1pm on Wednesday. The two days I'm in College, so if you want to do a MsC in Computer Science and work Monday to Friday, I suggest going to Trinity or Ucd. Have to say, the student life in Griffith is decent enough. In UCD you're just a statistic, I know, I did my Undergraduate there. Can't talk about Trinity though :)

Advertisement