Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March Intake

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tino77

This process is torture !! So from what I gather calls have gone out this week also? Can someone pm the appointments number? Also would I need my id numberor would they be ableto give me info just by my name?

Many thanks in advances folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭weepete

tino77 wrote: »
    This process is torture !! So from what I gather calls have gone out this week also? Can someone pm the appointments number? Also would I need my id numberor would they be ableto give me info just by my name?

Many thanks in advances folks!

Pm'd you that number let me know if you any better luck than me gettin info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Is it worth while phoning appointments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

1986j wrote: »
    From speaking to someone who contacted the PSNI recruitment team they said that those people who were outstanding will not be appointed in the next campaign the way some C14 were appointed in C16 etc

This is what I gathered from speaking to them.

I think that is because those in the team are working to the premise that 50/50 is being abolished. If it kept and Deloitte continue with the apps for another couple of years those in the pool are still in line for the next recruitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 anay75

Hi guys, after alot of thinking and sleepless nights I decided to decline the job offer. I rang appointments this afternoon and let them know. Whilst this was one of the hardest decisions I have made, I know it is for the right reasons.
    I really really hope one of the boardies get that call and for those who have got in I wish you all the luck in the world
    xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Sorry to hear that anay75, I'm sure it has been one of the hardest decisions you have had to make. Although possible someone else will maybe benefit from this, fair play to you for letting them know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Sorry to hear of your decision Anay but no doubt its the right decision for you at this time - you did well to get the call and that is something you can take from the experience.
    Thanks for possibly allowing someone else from the forum their chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SJAG

Hard decision i am sure ANAY, at least you had the decency to inform and possibly allow someone to take what would have been your place. All the best in your future...

The PSNI have released their Mar 2011 statistics. They now have 220 student officers, 65 more than in February.

The number of FTR and POPT has dropped slightly.

Of course the real kick in the teeth is that if all 220 students pass along with those who have been given start dates it takes the PSNI strength beyond the 7500 number! Thats before FTR and POPT are taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭1967J

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Of course the real kick in the teeth is that if all 220 students pass along with those who have been given start dates it takes the PSNI strength beyond the 7500 number! Thats before FTR and POPT are taken into account.

But did MB not say that he would like up to an additional 1000 officers, funding permitting
    and
    is the 7500 figure not for peace time numbers which I believe we are currently not in

1967J wrote: »
    But did MB not say that he would like up to an additional 1000 officers, funding permitting
    and
    is the 7500 figure not for peace time numbers which I believe we are currently not in

Yes, 7500 is the Peacetime amount. Though I can't see Matt Baggot going out and hiring a thousand new recruits. He'll let these 220 settle in and allow the FTR to be phased out first before making any decisions. Fingers crossed he decides to take on more officers, be it intake, recruitment or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 maxvne

Hi Guys and Gals, Ive never posted but my wife and I watched and read all your great comments, I have unfortunately had to decline the job offer today after a really hard decision over the last month with regard to security for my family, Just back home in Dublin about an hour ago so I hope someone on here will get my position. Best of luck to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mal4893

I'm sorry to hear that but it's better deciding now rather than later! I hope some one does get your spot (I'm free this weather!!!) but really well done for getting that far! I wish you and your family the best, good luck in the future! Was just wondering when you got the call? Was it for the march intake last month?

Hi Mal
    You cant sleep either? Yes I got the call last month and actually it was my second call as I applied around April/May last year and got accepted for the September intake and again the December intake but I was allowed to defer them due to my professional commitments which finish very shortly. I was looking forward to a totally different career change and enjoyed my visits over the years to Northern Ireland, but it is not to be now so I will have to re think what to do now. Hope you get the slot as I also know another girl who may not take her position now either.

Sorry to hear of your decision Max but clearly you felt it important to put your family's needs first , you are the 3rd person from the March intake who has declined the offer ( that we know of ).
    Thanks for sharing your experience here.
    Good luck for the future.

Thanks Delancey,
    Yes I have had to put my family security first, AGS have been involved as we have both recieved threats and threatening phone calls which came about after I was making a transfer to a well known Ulster rugby club as I reckon I have a year as a pro left in me and my plan was to enter the PSNI and hope to continue playing after the training and graduation but obviously some people didnt like the idea of my chosen career after rugby and the fact that i am RC from Dublin and my wife is NRC from NI, I was not entering for the money as it is far less than I get for playing sport but cant see myself at a desk job. Good luck to everyone im sure the job would have been great.

maxvne wrote: »
    Thanks Delancey,
    Yes I have had to put my family security first, AGS have been involved as we have both recieved threats and threatening phone calls which came about after I was making a transfer to a well known Ulster rugby club as I reckon I have a year as a pro left in me and my plan was to enter the PSNI and hope to continue playing after the training and graduation but obviously some people didnt like the idea of my chosen career after rugby and the fact that i am RC from Dublin and my wife is NRC from NI, I was not entering for the money as it is far less than I get for playing sport but cant see myself at a desk job. Good luck to everyone im sure the job would have been great.

Sorry to hear that Maxvne, terrible. I was so worried about my family whilst going through the application process, so much so, over half of them didn't even know about it, the only ones that ever knew where those watching me fill out the application form, I made them swear to secrecy about it.

Several years ago some undesirable neighbours had become aware of what career I was pursuing and were making some nasty suggestions of what would happen if I continued, so I made it out I had reconsidered my application, but secretly continued with it. Though your situation sounds a hell of a lot more serious as I was able to avoid any police intervention.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Maxvne, terrible. I was so worried about my family whilst going through the application process, so much so, over half of them didn't even know about it, the only ones that ever knew where those watching me fill out the application form, I made them swear to secrecy about it.

Several years ago some undesirable neighbours had become aware of what career I was pursuing and were making some nasty suggestions of what would happen if I continued, so I made it out I had reconsidered my application, but secretly continued with it. Though your situation sounds a hell of a lot more serious as I was able to avoid any police intervention.

I've sort of been in the same boat except i didnt tell anyone bar my partner i had applied
    but fate was against me, i applied on line using my sibilings laptop and they saw the "joinpsni.com" in the history, and my dad only found out when he opened my IST invite letter cause he couldn't see the name on it and assumed it was for him, they of course were supportive, but i had some1 ask me in the middle of belfast "so hows the applicatiln for the police goin?" not very discreetly and not very tactfully, i had my mother to thank for the knowledge bein passed on to some one who then passed it on to the person who asked, so do
    take notice of the security warnings you get in the correspondance with deloitte and the psni. Cause you never know who could be listening!

And i've very sorry to hear that maxvne, and i'd like to think our fellow rugby men where not the people who took exception to your line of work, the club i'm associated with has alot of
    officers past and present amoung it's ranks, if you change your mind and wanna play a bit of rugby, a little less professional than maybe your used to i'm afraid to admit, then pm me and i'll let you know where you would fit right in.

Fellow rugby man weepete

Also are you aware the psni has its own rugby team, i'm sure you would have been a welcomed addition too.

Thank you all for your kind words, and I must stress to the person(you know who you are) that this was a very difficult decision to make for me as this is a career I was going to embark on and I did know the implications involved, but for you to say I am a time waster , you could not be further from the truth and that is all I will say to you as I dont have to explain my actions to you, I just hope that if you or your wife is followed and recieves phones calls at home and on personal mobiles that you will then understand.
    Weepete I would love to play rugby for your team especially now as I just want to play for a bit of fun and go have a beer after a match none of which I was allowed really do for the last 10 years, Yes I know the PSNI have a team, I went to watch one of their games and it seemed like great fun but the rugby branch when I asked would not allow me play for them as they have some kind of rules that you must be out of professional rugby for 2 years before you can play at a certain level below first team, and some of the hits I saw and tackles im not sure my old body could take them anyway.
    My wife is from Belfast but wows never to return again after she was confronted by these cowards, but she will mellow out in time and we will be back. what position do you play Weepete? I am Centre, wing or sometimes fullback.
    Can you play for the PSNI team even if you are not in the police force?

• Advertisement

what position do you play Weepete? I am Centre, wing or sometimes fullback.

dont think you can play for the police team without bein in the police i'd say training ground is probably at a location that would need to be secure and have you vetted, i'm a prop / 2nd row anywhere they need me in the pack really, and yes weepete is a nick name not an actual descrition, six foot two and 17 stone,

To be honest i have got annoyed when people have dropped out or not turned up but only at people who drop out for silly reasons your case is completly understandable and i'm sure will hit home with some people about the risks involved with the job, i'm so sorry the untolerance of some of the people on this island, it'll take a generation or two to rid that off this island, my thoughts are with you and your family and i wish you the very best in your career on and off the pitch.

Good luck buddy

Thank you all for your kind words, and I must stress to the person(you know who you are) that this was a very difficult decision to make for me as this is a career I was going to embark on and I did know the implications involved, but for you to say I am a time waster , you could not be further from the truth and that is all I will say to you as I dont have to explain my actions to you, I just hope that if you or your wife is followed and recieves phones calls at home and on personal mobiles that you will then understand.
    Weepete I would love to play rugby for your team especially now as I just want to play for a bit of fun and go have a beer after a match none of which I was allowed really do for the last 10 years, Yes I know the PSNI have a team, I went to watch one of their games and it seemed like great fun but the rugby branch when I asked would not allow me play for them as they have some kind of rules that you must be out of professional rugby for 2 years before you can play at a certain level below first team, and some of the hits I saw and tackles im not sure my old body could take them anyway.
    My wife is from Belfast but wows never to return again after she was confronted by these cowards, but she will mellow out in time and we will be back. what position do you play Weepete? I am Centre, wing or sometimes fullback.

Max I had a friend who played sport for the PSNI even though he wasn't police, though he did have a family member in the same team who was PSNI. But when the team entered police championships he wasn't allowed to play and he got a little peeved and left. He probably would have stuck it out but he was dropped from the firsts at the same time his dear John came through for the PSNI.

Nobody could describe you as a timewaster max - yes , there are utter tools who leave for all sorts of stupid reasons like shifts , etc.

Your situation is quite different - I'm single and have nobody to worry about but myself but by the same token I would find threats against my parents ( for example ) very disturbing .While I would not let threats against me put me off I'm not so sure I could be so sanguine about threats to my family.

Are the PSNI aware of your reasons for withdrawing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 chontour

As far as im aware anyone can play for the PSNI team. I currently have a friend playing for them whom i know not to be a Police officer or have serving family members!

I too Play rugby for A qualifying 2 side and am shocked to hear of the stuff you've been put through and i too hope it is not from fellow rugby players!

And in regards to whether you could take a hit on the PSNI side, if youve been playing PRO for a while, no disrespect to the PSNI team or its fellow league teams, i think you could handle them well with them being a qualifying 3 side!

Advertisement