Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows 7 freezing on startup - same on safe mode.

• 25-02-2011 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

HI all.

I've been dual booting Windows 7 Professional 64bit with Linux for over a year on my PC. Today, I cannot login to Windows. When I get to the login screen, it freezes. No mouse, no keyboard. When I boot into safe mode, the problem persists. I've ran start-up repair twice and it made no difference.

I would like to know two things:
    1) What caused this.

2) How to fix it.

If it makes any difference, I install Service Pack 1 on Tuesday but IIRC it worked fine after that. Is there anything I can do that will give me back my system the way I had it? Any work-arounds? Will a repair disk be of any use? I have a new external HDD being delivered on Monday so I will copy everything on to that before I do anything.

I would not like to use system restore as my last restore point was, *sigh*, a year ago. If that's the only solution then I will do a full re-install.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Are you using wireless mouse and keyboard?
    Have you had any issues with the Linux side of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Are you using wireless mouse and keyboard?
    Yes.
    Have you had any issues with the Linux side of things?
    No. Keyboard and mouse work fine in the bootloader and in startup repair

well the first thing I would try is to try plugging in a standard USB or PS/2 keyboard and see if you can log in.. The Windows driver for the wireless may be corrupted... You say that it works in startup repair mode, but I would try this anyway to rule it out...

Also, have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration" from the startup menu?

well the first thing I would try is to try plugging in a standard USB or PS/2 keyboard and see if you can log in.. The Windows driver for the wireless may be corrupted... You say that it works in startup repair mode, but I would try this anyway to rule it out...

Also, have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration" from the startup menu?
    Didn't see it as an option!

Didn't see it as an option!

W7-RE02.jpg

Your menu should look similar to the above..? .. I'm not saying it will work, but it does work sometimes.. I would try that next..

• Advertisement

W7-RE02.jpg

Your menu should look similar to the above..? .. I'm not saying it will work, but it does work sometimes.. I would try that next..
    No how do you get that menu?
    Striking F8 gives me all the Safe Mode options and sometimes a startup repair option after a few reboots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

you could try r recover, option using windows cd,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

• Registered Users Posts: 81,590 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No how do you get that menu?
    Striking F8 gives me all the Safe Mode options and sometimes a startup repair option after a few reboots
    I usually do it with a wrench, violent kick, banging - wait we're talking about an NES right?

When windows is loading (when you see that glowy flower power logo with the copyright BS) - Kill the power. Reboot. Menu should pop up.

set bios mode,boot 1st device =cd/dvd .drive 0.
    see here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654#howtouserc
    your booting from the windows cd,
    at welcome to setup screen, press r,
    when safe mode doesnt work,it usually means a bad virus has halted bootup, or multipler viruses.no need to mess round with power off ,thats not good 4 the pc .

Overheal wrote: »
    When windows is loading (when you see that glowy flower power logo with the copyright BS) - Kill the power. Reboot. Menu should pop up.
    I am pretty sure how the startup repair menu came up, the screen above didn't.
    ricman wrote: »
    set bios mode,boot 1st device =cd/dvd .drive 0.
    see here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654#howtouserc
    your booting from the windows cd,
    at welcome to setup screen, press r,
    when safe mode doesnt work,it usually means a bad virus has halted bootup, or multipler viruses.no need to mess round with power off ,thats not good 4 the pc .
    I don't think it's a virus. 99% sure it isn't. Was just waiting for a copy of Win 7 to d/l. Have it now so I'll look at that tomorrow..

• Advertisement

you could copy files into the windows system 32 directory,if you can figure out what files are damaged , no safe mode,means the boot files are likely damaged,deleted.
    try the r option when you have a cd to boot from.theres a way to restore the boot files from dos prompt mode,windows keeps backup duplicate boot files.of system.dat and user.dat in . bak files.
    see http://web.mit.edu/ist/products/winxp/advanced/registry-corruption.html
    i,d say the procedure is similar in windows 7.
    there d be no harm ,in restoring user,system .dat from the .bak files,it may enable you to acess safe mode on the pc.

if the boot files are damaged its either a virus or a faulty drive, files dont delete themselves,no safe mode= damaged or missing boot files,or damaged registry files.

I ran Startup Repair again and wrote down the repair details and diagnostics:
    Number of Repair Attempts: 1

Session Details:

--------------------
    System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
    Windows Directory = C:\Windows
    AutoChkRun = 0
    Number or root causes = 1

Test Performed:
    ----------------------
    Name: Check for updates
    Result: Completed Successfully. Error code 0x0
    Time: 16ms

Test Performed:
    ----------------------
    Name: System Disk test
    Result: Completed Successfully. Error code 0x0.
    Time: 0ms

Test Performed:
    ----------------------
    Name: Disk Failure Diagnostics
    Time: 327ms

Test Performed:
    ----------------------
    Name: Disk metadata test
    Time: 32ms

Test Performed:
    ----------------------
    Name: Target OS Test
    Time: 156ms

Test Performed:
    ----------------------
    Name: Volume Content check
    Time: 109ms

Root Cause Found:
    ----------------------
    System Volume on disk is corrupt.

Repair action: Files system repair (chkdsk)
    Result: Result: Completed Successfully. Error code 0x0.
    Time: 84102ms
    ------------------
    -----------------

Everything there looks ok to me, everything completing with error code 0. Is thee anything there that stands out for you guys? The problem still persists after this.

Are you sure that the thing is actually crashed?.. When you say "log in screen" do you mean the splash screen like

Windows7_Boot_Screen.png

or the log in screen..

windows-7-logon-for-windows-xp.jpg

Have you tried what I suggested by using a non-wireless keyboard/mouse?

or the log in screen..

windows-7-logon-for-windows-xp.jpg

Have you tried what I suggested by using a non-wireless keyboard/mouse?
    The log-in screen. No change with a USB mouse or keyboard!

Resolved: it turns out the USB drivers were corrupt or missing, hence no activity from wirelss or USB mouse. Can only assume it was a direct result of upgrading to SP1.

Resolved: it turns out the USB drivers were corrupt or missing, hence no activity from wirelss or USB mouse. Can only assume it was a direct result of upgrading to SP1.

So I WAS right.. sort of... :D
    glad you got it sorted.. Never seen an issue where the actual USB ports dont work in Windows.. The wifi mouse/keyboard causing issue would be more common.. How did you manage to the USB drivers reinstalled ?

So I WAS right.. sort of... :D
    glad you got it sorted.. Never seen an issue where the actual USB ports dont work in Windows.. The wifi mouse/keyboard causing issue would be more common.. How did you manage to the USB drivers reinstalled ?
    just clicked disable then enable. I've seen that happen before with vista, only with the volume control. This is kind of annoying, as Windows 7 has been solid up to now. The upgrade to SP1 has messed up aero as well and god knows what else. I think i will still do a system repair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I ran Startup Repair again and wrote down the repair details and diagnostics:

[code]Root Cause Found:
    System Volume on disk is corrupt.

Repair action: Files system repair (chkdsk)
    Result: Result: Completed Successfully.
    this could have been caused by powering down the machine, but whether it was the original problem or not is a different issue

• Registered Users Posts: 81,590 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Always handy to keep PS/2 backups around. even just the old PS/2 to USB adapters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement