Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February Foldathon

• 11-02-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

What is the Foldathon:
    We had a good run last month; 247k points, and 12 Folders taking part. We've had a bit of a slump of late, and we've all been a bit less active too, so let's try to kick-start things again. :)

How it works:
    Run Folding@home for team boards.ie (number 39432) during the specified times. If you don't know what Folding@home is, feel free to make a thread in the forum or check these guides:

What is Folding?
    CPU Folding
    GPU Folding

When?:
    Wednesday February 23rd (5pm), until Friday February 25th (also 5pm).

Sign-Up:
    No need to sign up again if you took part previously.

> Sign up Link HERE <

List of signups

Sig Link:

[php]February Foldathon wheee.gif

[/php]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Bump for replies. :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Replies for the bump??!? :eek::pac:

Look who's back. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

Hey New Floder here...

Been folding last 2-3 weeks if you can see on boards table... Just been learning the basic set-ups..

Having a few Probs though..

Got one machine at work folding. giving me around 6-8 WUs a day not bad around 1500 points..

Got a 3-way Sli Rig just finished building last Tuesday

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055621051&page=2

Which i can use to boost WU's as well... can't leave it 24/7 as the noise and heat of the 3 x gtx280s is alot.. but i think they can do a bit in short space of time. few hours a day (I think theres a bottle neck somewhere as my gtx 280 is only doing 2000-2500 iter per sec... and i heard i get get alot more out of these cards)

Im trying to sort out 3 GPU folding clients.. i got 3 cards sli disabled all Shader over-clocked and 2 monitors.. need a dummy plug for the 3rd card(put can s-video to my tv no problems to get the 3 monitors attached) which i think i can sort out.

Im trying to use this as help but link to folders seems broken.

http://www.trubritarforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3063-foldinghome-on-3-gtx-280s/

With the set-up Trubritar has i think i have also... so should be looking to getting the same aswell..

Any help or walk thoughts would be great.

OR.. to be honest the best would be if someone could teamview5 me and remote control my desktop and sort it out at a time easy for you. PC is clean,stable and running 8 mb Broadband speed. so shouldn't take long for someone how knows what there doing... in return i promise a substantional amount of time folding for the team.

Any Takers?

Regards

Wolf

You should have asked sooner. :D

There are a couple of options open to you. you can either configure 3 GPU client manually, using this guide:
    http://www.overclock.net/folding-home-guides-tutorials/578934-windows-7-multigpu-guide.html

You shouldn't need a dummy plug; the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 flag should be enough.

Or, you can use the Fah GPU Tracker:
    http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/739408-fah-gpu-tracker-v2.html

It'll download and configure the clients for you; one SMP client, and up to 8 GPUs IIRC.

• Advertisement

Hey Zodac, Thanks for reply.

Was hoping someone could teamview me and finish off the install and make sure everything is running sweet..

I have a few hours spare,,

Any chance you could do the honors?

Regards

Wolf

I won't be free for a few hours...

Give the GPU Tracker a go though; it's very straight forward. :)

Thx man gave it a go..
    and got it all sorted..

Only Problem is heat...

Air cooling at mo... and With all the clients working.. got temps up to 92 Deg on 2 cards...

:(... not to work on cooling abit

thanks for pointing me in right direction though

W0LFMAN wrote: »
    Thx man gave it a go..
    and got it all sorted..

Only Problem is heat...

Air cooling at mo... and With all the clients working.. got temps up to 92 Deg on 2 cards...

:(... not to work on cooling abit

thanks for pointing me in right direction though

Glad you got it working; sorry I wasn't able to help out. :o

Thx.. got temps under control now... going to fold tonight for few hours... try and run the system stable....drawing nearly 850 watts from the wall...:)

Any chance of a sign up link above seems broken...

thx

Wolf

• Advertisement

Ahhh... forgot to turn on entries. doh.gif

Should work now. :o

Just a few more days to go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Ah feck, I changed my main rig over to Linux only to find that it's not possible to run the SMP client :( I'm trying it with wine now but it's refusing to download some work :(

Yeah, -bigadv isn't available natively on Linux, though the new core that will fix that (v2.27) is close to release...

Dunno why it's not downloading any work though... :(

Less than a day to go. :)

1 hour warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hoth17

Will the foldathon still be going on 18hrs 11min from now, I'm not a fan of the time thing... :D

hoth17 wrote: »
    Will the foldathon still be going on 18hrs 11min from now, I'm not a fan of the time thing... :D

Yeah, just about. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hoth17

Roll your eyes all you want, but I'm never sure. I think its like 8hr difference, but who knows.

Great, lets hope this WU drops in time. :pac:

So, the scores are in. :D

[php]cian1500ww 89385
    hoth17 81168
    rockal 53374
    Cronan 10288
    zodac 8137
    SolitaryScythe 3349
    Challengemaster 2607
    Coffee_Ninja 2560
    IrishTLR 1158[/php]

2 fewer Folders this month, but we still got 5k more points this month than January. applaud.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I have 3 clients going but the best one is an intel e8200 without SMP

Daegerty wrote: »
    I have 3 clients going but the best one is an intel e8200 without SMP

That's the best? :eek:

What else are you using?

zodac wrote: »
    That's the best? :eek:

What else are you using?

a 1GHz VIA C7 and AMD Neo MV-40 :)

no -bigadv for me :pac:

You could use a GPU upgrade. :D

You could use a GPU upgrade. :D

I have no use for one, and it will probably blow up the proprietary sized PSU in the e8200 machine

now i have a e6300 pc i could shove one into but its in england now and had overheating problems so no client running on that for now. think it needs a drop of thermal paste or an extra fan or 2

I only got my 9800GT originally for Folding. :p And the ~300W PSU in my Dell handled it just fine. :)

I only got my 9800GT originally for Folding. :p And the ~300W PSU in my Dell handled it just fine. :)

Such dedication :) well the proprietary PSU is only 250w

Ah, yeah, probably best not to then. :pac:

Someday though. ;)

Ah, yeah, probably best not to then. :pac:

Someday though. ;)

i tried to switch on -smp on that yoke but it still only used 1 core. will it try to finish off that one WU with just one core or am I doing somethign wrong?

• Advertisement

Yeah, the -smp flag actually activates SMP WUs... and it's the WU that uses more cores.

Advertisement