Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any secret installations in Ireland?

• 18-02-2011 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I hope this is the right forum for this thread, if not apologies to all.

I'm interested if anyone has any info on "secret" government or military structures in Ireland. I know there's plenty in the UK and have visited a range of the old WWII bunkers and structures built in France by the Germans, such as the Atlantic Wall and assorted structures, La Coupole, etc.

A UK site has a few interesting finds on it, which might give you an idea of the range of buildings I'm talking about: http://www.secret-bases.co.uk/

I have heard that there are several nuclear bunkers dotted around the country, in places like Port Laoise, Mullingar, Dublin, etc. and a few Radomes in Cork, associated with short-wave radio trans-Atlantic air traffic control.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

I don't know if its a secret but there is plenty of concrete machine gun pillboxes built into the ditches of rural cavan roads (and I assume most counties), I presume built during ww2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

You mean like the 'radar' station near Schull in west Cork?
    2357622193_74f237dbd5.jpg

The nuclear bunker under the Costume Barracks in Athlone?

No pics of the bunker but I'm sure if you call to the barracks at Grace Road in Athlone they will look after you.

15004134_1.jpg

This is where the Irish government thought they would be going in event of a nuclear armageddon. Given that we would have got three minutes warning (probably late) and if you were a soldier facing into a nuclear winter would you want to share your limited rations with a bunch of fat, useless politicians. I guess we will never find out now but I like the idea that the soldiers would have opened up with everything at their disposal on the ministerial mercs. :D
    Interesting piece about it here: http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/waking-up-to-a-nuclear-nightmare-165435.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Crap bunkers under Moneenageisha School in Galway and the Athlone barracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

There's a "secret" area at Collinstown airport (the old Dublin airport building). In the basement. Permanent Garda & army guard on duty - don't know why they have both.

Soldiers cannot arrest somebody, not even after they shoot them dead. So the Guards are there to do the paperwork :) I think this is the old 'standby' patrol from Collins Barracks relocated inside the airport where they used to patrol the perimeter outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I am always curious as to why there are doors underneath the overbridges on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

With regards to Nuclear winter from what I recall the Soviet target map had three sites on the island. These been unsurprisingly:
    • Dublin Airport
    • Shannon
    • Aldergrove

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Didn't the Wikileaks diplomatic cables leak say something about secret CIA bases in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

trad wrote: »
    I am always curious as to why there are doors underneath the overbridges on the M50.

Maintenance most likely. While not sure what exact type of bridge you're referring to, ones like the Westlink are hollow beneath the road pavement with prestressing cables running through them.

dubhthach wrote: »
    With regards to Nuclear winter from what I recall the Soviet target map had three sites on the island. These been unsurprisingly:
    • Dublin Airport
    • Shannon
    • Aldergrove

That would have taken care of most of the country but what about our neutral status?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Dead people are all neutral!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

You mean like the 'radar' station near Schull in west Cork?
    2357622193_74f237dbd5.jpg

What is secret about Mount Gabriel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

That would have taken care of most of the country but what about our neutral status?

In Soviet Russia, country neutalises YOU!

What should have done is called ourselves a Nuclear free zone like Brent in North London

Problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well Soviets reckoned the US would use Shannon for Troop movement cross-Atlantic (isn't that Shannon's main business these days?), so I believe their thinking was better to deny it straight away. The whole strategy was based on a land invasion of "West Germany" so the longer they could keep US reinforcements getting to Europe the better.

What is secret about Mount Gabriel

As far as I remember in my Guinness impaired brain it was very secretive in its early years and, indeed, in 1982 was attacked by the INLA http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/para/inla.htm

As far as I remember in my Guinness impaired brain it was very secretive in its early years and, indeed, in 1982 was attacked by the INLA http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/para/inla.htm

INLA were a bunch of paranoid tossers, air traffic control was all it ever was.

Never ever heard a sniff about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

iMax wrote: »
    There's a "secret" area at Collinstown airport (the old Dublin airport building). In the basement. Permanent Garda & army guard on duty - don't know why they have both.

i know a garda that works in the airport, she told me they call that area 'the train station' as it was built with the idea that an underground station would eventually open there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We where never neutral, we are polically non aligned. Neutral countries can defend their own boarders, which we never could or can.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

i know a garda that works in the airport, she told me they call that area 'the train station' as it was built with the idea that an underground station would eventually open there

No, thats in reference to the basement of the current Terminal one (check in area 14). That space was originally planned for use as a future underground stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Its not really a secret, but not many people know there is a rail tunnel under the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

delly wrote: »
    Its not really a secret, but not many people know there is a rail tunnel under the Phoenix Park.

CIE prefer it kept a secret as people might suggest it as a cheaper alternative to the Interconnector wet dream.:rolleyes:

When Mt Gabriel was built the data was sent to RAF West Drayton where military and civilian air traffic in southern england were both co located in those days. One could not adequately explain how they were separate but in the same building.... so the INLA thought it was a military installation.

To confuse matters :cool: Civilian Traffic control moved to Swanwick some years ago and the military followed them there and they share the same control room nowadays.....not like the old days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

I'd think that actually a pretty good arrangement - in airspace as busy as the UK, it is good that they are co-located and can easily talk to each other.

Sadly for the civilian guys though - i guess it makes them a military target!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

dubhthach wrote: »
    • Dublin Airport
    • Shannon
    • Aldergrove

The petroleum terminals at Bantry Bay were also going to get destroyed-stop the fuel supplies and everything grinds to a halt. I would imagine that the Curragh and Dublin probably would have been hit too.

http://games.juhlin.com/files/uk_strike_map.jpg

Here is an article on NI nuclear targets:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/nuclear-war-the-hidden-threat-to-northern-ireland-14511589.html

As one poster asked, what about our neutrality? It doesn't mean diddly squat. Nor does our simpleton 'shure we're Irish, everyone loves us' routine. The Russians would have wiped out all of Western Europe in a nuclear war; the idea being that there would be no working countries left to help with the rebuild. And that includes us.

Bet you never heard the anti-war movement tell you about that little nugget, did ya? :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Didn't the Wikileaks diplomatic cables leak say something about secret CIA bases in Ireland?

Not quite a CIA base, but a building in Dublin which is part of the US's world network backbone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Active nuclear shelter under sarsfield house in Limerick.....revenue commissioner's building!! ****ers will tax the survivors

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Russians would have wiped out all of Western Europe in a nuclear war; the idea being that there would be no working countries left to help with the rebuild. And that includes us.

Even the Russians knew that is MAD

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    When Mt Gabriel was built the data was sent to RAF West Drayton where military and civilian air traffic in southern england were both co located in those days. One could not adequately explain how they were separate but in the same building.... so the INLA thought it was a military installation.

To confuse matters :cool: Civilian Traffic control moved to Swanwick some years ago and the military followed them there and they share the same control room nowadays.....not like the old days :)

Was that what gave them the idea, by that dump logic thye should have blown up the tank farm out side Cork airport as they refueled RAF Sea Kings on search and rescue missions

Muppets:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement