Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol-Diesel Prices Galway

• 13-01-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Why is Galway and surrounding areas so expensive for Petrol and Diesel?
    Tribune did a survey this week see page 4,
    The AVERAGE price PETROL 144c, DIESEL 133c.
    The AA national average is 140c Petrol and 133c Diesel.
    I also notice the further you drive from Galway City the prices go down.
    Craughwell and Loughrea bit cheaper, Ballinasloe cheapest and this for the same Oil company. Is it still imported into Galway???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭StonedRaider

Topaz across the road from Galway Airport have been the cheapest since early Dec. I fill up every 2-3weeks on my way out to Oranmore. Petrol was €1.419 today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Wouldn't be suprised if there was a bit of a cartel in the Galway area. Prices are uniformly higher than in other urban regions

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Transport costs probably. Costs fuel to move fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Hello, the fuel comes from the fuel terminal in Galway Docks so Galway city should have the cheapest prices and not the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

Another examply of Rip-Off prices in Galway
    Topaz Petrol in Galway Town €1.48
    Topaz in Ceaughwell €1.45
    Topaz Ballinasloe €1.43

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭galwaylad1980

I usually get mine at the station on Headford Road, near Ballindooley Stores, seems cheapest around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

There's a good website for tracking nationwide petrol/diesel prices (nothing to do with it) http://www.pumps.ie
    Free to register and update

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hello, the fuel comes from the fuel terminal in Galway Docks so Galway city should have the cheapest prices and not the other way round

But property in the city centre would be more expensive, leading to higher business costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

PETROL STATION owners are calling on the government to reduce fuel duties to stop spiralling prices at the pump, with taxes accounting for more than 57 per cent of the cost of fuel, according to the Irish Petrol Retail Association
    any one have the brake down for ireland please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

extraice wrote: »
    PETROL STATION owners are calling on the government to reduce fuel duties to stop spiralling prices at the pump, with taxes accounting for more than 57 per cent of the cost of fuel, according to the Irish Petrol Retail Association
    any one have the brake down for ireland please

The rates are available on the revenue website

Petrol (incl carbon charge) e576.22 per 1,000 litres
    Diesel (incl carbon charge) e465.70 per 1,000 litres (counted as a heavy oil)

So that's 57.6c/l & vat on Petrol, 45.6c/l & vat on Diesel. Vat is currently 21%.

Taking a look at current prices taken from AA Roadwatch:
    Petrol = 144.5c/l breaking down as 57.6c excise & carbon tax + 25c vat = 82.6c (57.16%) in taxes
    Diesel 138.5c/l for diesel, breaking down as 45.6c excise & carbon tax + 23.5c vat = 69.1c (49.9%) in taxes

• Advertisement
Advertisement