Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you miss in Waterford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Funfair wrote: »
    la tisseera Maria or something like that I think it was called

Patiserrie Marie I think it was called,
    Lovely chesterbreads in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Patiserrie Marie I think it was called,
    Lovely chesterbreads in there
    Yeah, Patiserrie sounds like French for pastry shop. (I don't speak French)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

jmcc wrote: »
    Voyager internet cafe when it was down on the Mall. (First internet cafe in Waterford, I think.)

Good old Voyager. We used to hang out in there for ages because a friend worked there. Kind of used to move from Café Luna to Voyager to pass the day!

One thing I miss is knowing the people who worked in loads of shops. You'd know so many lads and girls form school that you couldn't help but know someone in nearly every shop because of their part-time jobs. One particular success was the amount of free food we'd get in McDonald's. Pay for 6 nuggets and get food for two or three people! And McFlurrys with loads of Dairy Milk/Smarties in them when they first came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

chelloveks wrote: »
    I miss the Urinals in Ballybricken and the pens for the fairs. Lovely aroma off of them both....

....... puts me in mind of Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" & probably had a similar effect!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

kfallon wrote: »

Also Doc's before it became the Post Office and The Butchers before that became Ladbrokes!

And of course when The Cleaboy pub had pool tables!

Correct me if Im wrong but is Ladbrokes now part of the Cleaboy pub (the area where the pool tables etc used to be). If so, why did they get rid of that part of the pub?? I remember when the pub did a fair bit of business. The auld fella behind the bar with the glasses would serve anyone irregardless of age!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I wish I missed the concrete bollard in the car park on the Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

trad wrote: »
    I wish I missed the concrete bollard in the car park on the Quay.

Haha hates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Correct me if Im wrong but is Ladbrokes now part of the Cleaboy pub (the area where the pool tables etc used to be). If so, why did they get rid of that part of the pub?? I remember when the pub did a fair bit of business. The auld fella behind the bar with the glasses would serve anyone irregardless of age!

the food wasn't selling like it used to and business was way down so they made the place smaller, better atmosphere and easier and cheaper to run.

Ladbrokes isn't afiliated with the pub at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Did they stop doing food there?

I used to meet Mrs Ziedth on there for lunch when I was in college and it was great value for money? Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

ziedth wrote: »
    Did they stop doing food there?

I used to meet Mrs Ziedth on there for lunch when I was in college and it was great value for money? Pity.

yeah man, they stopped doing the food 1-2 years ago. which is a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yeah Ladbrokes are now in the area of The Cleaboy where the pool tables used to be! It's probably a better pub now cos it seemed too empty when full size and not many in there. Miss the carvery up there tho!

That guy with the glasses was Pat Moran, he used to be a bookie out in Kilcohan Park too (he may still be I'm not sure) but he would drive you mental when serving up there. Stand staring at the aertel for about 20 minutes looking for Lotto numbers and blatantly ignoring you when you wanted a drink!

The pool tables are gone from there for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stickysten

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Quarter of sweets in the shop. Like cough drops, pear drops etc.

That youthful innocence when children could spend all up to midnight day playing safely in the neighbourhood without their parents having to keep a close eye on them. Society has been thrown away.

absolutely, i remember me & my mates used to walk into town every evening into sullys 12/13 yrs of age jesus i wouldnt let my kids do anything like that now

hanging around up in the old chipboard factory with all the lads during the school holidays, then the neighbours calling the cops even thou we were doing nothing & getting a chase off the guards......jesus thinking of it now that place was a death trap no wonder they rang them

seanybiker wrote: »
    ah I forgot about crystalvision. The birmigham chap that worked there was sound.

hell of a nice fella...working down in boots last i heard

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

I asked this question in another thread but I got no response:

Whatever happened to that cottage with the lovely murals in Rockenham, Ferrybank, across the road from the graveyard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

That upstairs video game arcade where Supermacs (?) is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Nolanger wrote: »
    That upstairs video game arcade where Supermacs (?) is now.

Aye, we used to call it "The Gloss". There was a chap called Ray Halligan who ran the change cage in the middle of the floor.

Anyone remember a dingy little shop down John Street called RP Games? quite a bizarre bunch of people ran it.

Video shop in sweabies(sp?)
    Chatting to harry miller in ballybricken. He was sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Brendan Kenneally being a TD. No wait, I don't!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭decies

Fianna fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

was going to put that in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Does anybody remember the KK discount store? (not to be confused with the KKK discount store that did a great line in white sheets)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Brendan Kenneally being a TD. No wait, I don't!!!!!

Ooooooh, too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Anyone remember a dingy little shop down John Street called RP Games? quite a bizarre bunch of people ran it.

Yep.They used to have the coolest models & stuff in the window

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 25 laura360

reginalds tower pub
    winstons
    o briens sweetshop mayors walk
    the veg shop opposite revelotions
    the nature walk back in the early 90s opposite superquinn
    the lawn and the valley(larchville)
    the mental run
    witches lane(hillview) and all the fields up there
    the dip (hillview)
    soccer leagues on the hillview green run by helen hennessy and a fella called ned
    darrers
    jurys hotel
    the old fountain in the park and the old park in general(the roundabout was some laugh)

can any1 think of the paintball place at the end of summers hill.(began with w i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yep.They used to have the coolest models & stuff in the window

they did???? I remember the window being so filthy that you couldnt see in.
    The had a pencil case for a cash register. I was a very strange place indeed.

ANyone remember the flat-bed lorry that used to deliver coal to viewmount? I remembered it the other day out of nowhere and it gave me a strange feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

laura360 wrote: »

can any1 think of the paintball place at the end of summers hill.(began with w i think)

It was called "Wacky Warriors"

ANyone remember the flat-bed lorry that used to deliver coal to viewmount? I remembered it the other day out of nowhere and it gave me a strange feeling.

Sounds like you you have a repressed memory :)

• Advertisement

Buying the latest issue of White Dwarf from the lovely lady in the hobbyshop. Anyone?

Advertisement