Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite Star Trek Series?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

in theory I agree, but the original usually lays the formula for the others to follow, which happened here with TNG, VOY and ENT. it's kind-of a case by case basis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Jim wrote: »
    TOS was good, but citing "it's the original" as a reason why it's better than the others is a bit stupid.

Don't know if you were directing this at me, if so if you re-read my post you will find I was merely pointing out to the poster above me that TNG wasn't pioneering the original series had blazed that trail long before it , no where did I say the original series was better then TNG I infact acknowledge TNG as the better show(as it had time to blossom).

I infact voted for neither and am a niner through and through :D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Yea I know I'll be shot down with jokes about rubbish theme tune, carpenter overalls and wrong designs of Starships but I loved Enterprise. A shame it didn't get the development and an awful pity the wrong team were behind it.
    But i really liked the characters and I thought Bakula made a great action captain, in the vein of Shatner.

I wasn't so hung up on the technical side of it too much and although I did think the Xindi arc was too long, it did show a different side to the series.

And of course I loved Combs in the role of Shren. I think it would have been good to see him in a Stafleet uniform, still shouting 'pinkskin'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

KenSwee wrote: »
    Yea I know I'll be shot down with jokes about rubbish theme tune, carpenter overalls and wrong designs of Starships but I loved Enterprise. A shame it didn't get the development and an awful pity the wrong team were behind it.
    But i really liked the characters and I thought Bakula made a great action captain, in the vein of Shatner.

I wasn't so hung up on the technical side of it too much and although I did think the Xindi arc was too long, it did show a different side to the series.

And of course I loved Combs in the role of Shren. I think it would have been good to see him in a Stafleet uniform, still shouting 'pinkskin'!

It's only fair that I die with you so, & not cower in the darkness any longer. I'm a massive Trek fan (not a fanboy...I think :p) with DS9 just topping TNG in the poll for me. Bit I thought Enterprise was really good mostly too...I liked Archer, & Trip was very likeable too, & plot holes & inconsistencies aside I thought it made for good viewing/entertainment.

I refuse the blindfold...do your worst!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Finished watching Enterprise a second time there last week. Honestly i still really like it, after TNG and DS9 its my favourite series. I liked Bakula in the role as Archer, there were some dodgy episodes but you can say that about all the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

there were some dodgy episodes but you can say that about all the series.

Courtesy of Berman/Braga double act.

They hadn't got a clue what that period was about. There was already a great war that would have provided enough material to last five seasons but instead they went back to the usual 'TimeTrek' stunt (I hate time travel) and invented 2 entire wars that bore no resemblance to the rest of the shows.

All they had to do was start it a year before the Earth Romulan war with a ship similar to the one sitting in Sisko's office and call it anything but Enterprise and it would have been a better hit.

I always wondered what RDM would have done with it considering his later success with BSG.

PS: I just added "Romulan" to my laptop dictionary :-))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭AndrewS

To be honest, I enjoyed all of the shows as they aired. Im not quite old enough to remember the original run of TOS but I do remember coming home from school and watching it on BBC2 back in the 80s.

I picked TNG as thats the one that inspired me the most as a young teen and older teen too :rolleyes:

I watched All Good Things from my shared rented digs in Limerick on its first run in 1994. And again when I got back to Dublin and even bought it on VHS :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

God I love Star Trek :)

Growing up, I believe Star Trek The Next Generation contributed to the balancing of my moral compass moreso than religion did. Frankly, I would not be the person I am today without that show.

To those that doubt DS9:

(Have you ever danced with the Devil;)) In the Pale Moonlight, The Visitor, Duet.
    Without a shadow of a doubt belong in the top 20 treks of all time, possibly even top 10 - the first 2 anyway - They are powerful episodes, almost unmatched across the franchise. Who knows what direction Ron Moore would have taken the show if he was allowed but hey we got Battlestar so I'm not complaining.

to say nothing of The Siege of AR-558, Hard Time, Defiant, In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light, Tears of the Prophets,
    Plus the epics: Shattered Mirror, Way of the Warrior, Trials and Tribble-ations, Call to Arms,

And to those who doubt Voyager:

It might be less grandiose and more subtle, but episodes such as Coda, Nemesis, Timeless, Waking Moments (That alien still freaks me out), Blink of an Eye, The Omega Directive, Night, Latent Image are all masterfully written episodes which epitomise what sci-fi is all about at its core - an altered viewpoint, a fresh perspective, exhilarating ideas. Ideas that transcend the genre and speak to core issues for all of us in our everyday lives.

And it's got its fair share of heavy hitters too such as Scorpion, Endgame, Year of Hell, Message in a Bottle, Relativity etc.

The franchise isn't dead (Despite the economically centered LCD and misdirected ST 2009), it's just waiting for someone who's worthy to take up the mantle.

I for one want to see what happens next.

Goldstein wrote: »
    God I love Star Trek :)

Growing up, I believe Star Trek The Next Generation contributed to the balancing of my moral compass moreso than religion did. Frankly, I would not be the person I am today without that show.

To those that doubt DS9:

(Have you ever danced with the Devil;)) In the Pale Moonlight, The Visitor, Duet.
    Without a shadow of a doubt belong in the top 20 treks of all time, possibly even top 10 - the first 2 anyway - They are powerful episodes, almost unmatched across the franchise. Who knows what direction Ron Moore would have taken the show if he was allowed but hey we got Battlestar so I'm not complaining.

to say nothing of The Siege of AR-558, Hard Time, Defiant, In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light, Tears of the Prophets,
    Plus the epics: Shattered Mirror, Way of the Warrior, Trials and Tribble-ations, Call to Arms,

And to those who doubt Voyager:

It might be less grandiose and more subtle, but episodes such as Coda, Nemesis, Timeless, Waking Moments (That alien still freaks me out), Blink of an Eye, The Omega Directive, Night, Latent Image are all masterfully written episodes which epitomise what sci-fi is all about at its core - an altered viewpoint, a fresh perspective, exhilarating ideas. Ideas that transcend the genre and speak to core issues for all of us in our everyday lives.

And it's got its fair share of heavy hitters too such as Scorpion, Endgame, Year of Hell, Message in a Bottle, Relativity etc.

The franchise isn't dead (Despite the economically centered LCD and misdirected ST 2009), it's just waiting for someone who's worthy to take up the mantle.

I for one want to see what happens next.

Great post! I agree with everything you said, nice to know I'm not the only one who hasn't got a ticket on the hate Voyager wagon. Oh and re The Visitor & Hard Time - masterpieces :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

EnterNow wrote: »
    Great post! I agree with everything you said, nice to know I'm not the only one who hasn't got a ticket on the hate Voyager wagon. Oh and re The Visitor & Hard Time - masterpieces :cool:
    I hated the original series, crap acting.. then got hooked on tng thanks to sky showing it @ 5pm everyday. Remember being freaked when All Good Things ended. DS9 class, voyager.. meh.. take it or leave it. (again down to crap acting)

Was happy for the movies to get a reboot, just watched nemsies the other day, brutal.. deffo time to stop.

• Advertisement

peatcass wrote: »
    I hated the original series, crap acting.. then got hooked on tng thanks to sky showing it @ 5pm everyday. Remember being freaked when All Good Things ended. DS9 class, voyager.. meh.. take it or leave it. (again down to crap acting)

Was happy for the movies to get a reboot, just watched nemsies the other day, brutal.. deffo time to stop.

TNG @ 5 bells is where I got into it too. And I still remember that dreaded,

"The Seventh And Final Series Only On Sky!!" ad for TNG, it was intercut with stuff like Q saying "All good things must come to an end" etc.

peatcass wrote: »
    voyager.. meh.. take it or leave it. (again down to crap acting)
    Of course with the exception of Year Of Hell. Loved that.
    Definitely Kate Mulgrews finest hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Gothamite

Truthfully, TOS is a landmark in television. It is the epitome of good science fiction; character-driven plots that question culture and society.

Its greatest crime was that it was produced in a time that couldn't adequately realise its potential visual brilliance.

TNG is the only show I have found that has managed to approach this same level of bold new thinking. It was revolutionary for being one of the first science fiction programmes with arcing plots and story details that would be revisited years later, sometimes in major motion pictures.

Most of what I've seen of Voyager has been watchable enough, but the awfulness of stuff like 'Traveller' as well as the general frustration I have that they didn't do more with the concept of a starship 'lost' is just too much to bear.

Here's an interview I wrote with an actor/writer in Toronto who's looking to create a new Star Trek show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

EnterNow wrote: »

+1

I loved Voyager

Year of Hell was a brilliant episode.

like someone mentioned before, every series has their dodgy episodes, but in fairness the fact it ran for 7 years says a lot about voyager.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The first three seasons of Voyager are really good. Fourth season is okay too, but too Seven orientated. Fifth and sixth seasons are fairly crap, but the seventh is okay.

DS9 is almost the opposite, first three seasons aren't great, but from the fourth season until the end it is the best Star Trek show there is.

TOS was and always will be awesome too, plus it gave us four excellent movies, Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The first three seasons of Voyager are really good. Fourth season is okay too, but too Seven orientated. Fifth and sixth seasons are fairly crap, but the seventh is okay.

DS9 is almost the opposite, first three seasons aren't great, but from the fourth season until the end it is the best Star Trek show there is.

TOS was and always will be awesome too, plus it gave us four excellent movies, Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country.

Casting issues aside, Voyager had only 2 problems for me.

1 Reset button: Such a big deal was made about conserving resources, at the very start, but this gave way to the ship being in a perfect condition all the time. This prevented the Maquis/Starfleet tensions being explored

2 Seven of Nine: From her introduction it basically became the So9 imitates Spock, Data and even the Doctor show. With some terribly forced Borg storylines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

DS9 is my favorite series. It is so dark and the war was done well. Initially, I thought Jake would end up like Wesley in solving everything but thankfully that didn't happen. Bringing Worf into the series too was a great idea. Very enjoyable show. Very good story arcs too.

Voyager was good. I enjoyed it but felt that the endings were lacking. It was like they ran out of time and wrapped up the episode as quickly as they could. The doctor was great. Essentially Data but with attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Casting issues aside, Voyager had only 2 problems for me.

1 Reset button: Such a big deal was made about conserving resources, at the very start, but this gave way to the ship being in a perfect condition all the time. This prevented the Maquis/Starfleet tensions being explored

2 Seven of Nine: From her introduction it basically became the So9 imitates Spock, Data and even the Doctor show. With some terribly forced Borg storylines

+ 1

DS9 is my favourite by far. I loved the story (minus all that rubbish about the Prophets), think it had some of the best banter in modern ST as well (Always found the characters in Voyager and TNG a bit lacking) And it featured soooo many Cardassians. I could watch Cardassians forever - they're brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fnordius

The thing that makes the original series the best in my book was that they did the best they could on a shoestring budget, and still managed to get some of the biggest authors of that time to write scripts. Ted Sturgeon,Ben Bova and Harlan Ellison all contributed good stories.

Sometimes they were restricted to using whatever sets were available, and made lemons out of that lemonade. Think of "A Piece of the Action", for example, with 1920's gangsters in space!

It also was the only of the series where you had the feeling they really were exploring, that ships between planets was a rare occurrence. Even subspace contact back to the Star Fleet could take days, as there was no instantaneous communications.

I suppose splitting the animated series into its own category is valid, but I consider it the 4th season of the original series. And yes, I watched it as a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 scoobyjack

DS9 is my favourite by far. I loved the story (minus all that rubbish about the Prophets).

I normally wouldn't go for that kind of supernatural / prophesy stuff, but I thought they did it fairly well in that the audience was given the impression they were just beings living in the wormhole - i.e. not exactly what the Bajorans believed them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Ds9 all the way. Worf's sarcasm and miles being absolutely hilarious. Cant beat it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Fnordius wrote: »
    The thing that makes the original series the best in my book was that they did the best they could on a shoestring budget, and still managed to get some of the biggest authors of that time to write scripts. Ted Sturgeon,Ben Bova and Harlan Ellison all contributed good stories.

Sometimes they were restricted to using whatever sets were available, and made lemons out of that lemonade. Think of "A Piece of the Action", for example, with 1920's gangsters in space!

It also was the only of the series where you had the feeling they really were exploring, that ships between planets was a rare occurrence. Even subspace contact back to the Star Fleet could take days, as there was no instantaneous communications.

I suppose splitting the animated series into its own category is valid, but I consider it the 4th season of the original series. And yes, I watched it as a kid.

+ Norman Spinrad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lizflem

Am I too late? TOS, TOS, TOS! :)

lizflem wrote: »
    Am I too late? :)

About 40 years!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

DS9, lots of Ferengi, the later buddy development between O'Brien and Bashir, Worf, Dominion...on and on and on but mainly because it was the first Star Trek series that I saw, TOS and TNG were on before I was old enough to enjoy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I liked TNG but it was a bit too goody two shoes for me at times. It was like everything was wrapped up and they were on their merry way by the end of the episode. I just love D9's darkness and grittyness (sp).

I agree, the Bashir and O'Brien friendship seemed very genuine and I always enjoyed it. I just watched "Doctor Bashir, I presume?" from DS9 last night which is the episode where they uncover that Bashir had genetic enhancements as a child. There was some nice scenes between Bashir and O'Brien in it.

I had to laugh as well in one episode where Worf and Garak are going off on a mission and as they're leaving Worf is talking to Sisko and Sisko says to be careful of Garak to which Worf deadpanly replies "At the first sign of betrayal I will kill him". Sisko replies "I hope that is a joke" to which Worf says "We will see".

Class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye for me it was the character interaction, so that worf/sisko RE: Garek reference that G-Money made is a great example

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

DS9 for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Agreed.
    All the relationships in it were brilliant.

Bashir and O'Brien, always in the holodeck doing battle of Britain, and darts.

Quark and Odo. They always acted like they didn't like each other but they made each other who they were and they deeply respected one another. Becoming close friends.

And Garak or Gareck (I don't know!) the simple tailor.
    Great character.

Advertisement