Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rail Lobby

• 11-02-2011 8:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

I invite every reader of this forum to download THIS document lest it no longer be readily available :cool: and to keep it handy as a memento of the Celtic Tiger Era. Start with the map.

The Road lobby has been accused of being wasteful but are as nothing in the penny place in comparison to some of the ideas espoused by the Rail Lobby. I really must find out how the €200m Sligo - Manorhamilton Railway Line is going, actually that is Colooney - Manorhamilton correctly speaking :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I invite every reader of this forum to download THIS document l

Here is another plan. This was a €450m scheme to do WEST Cork...ie from Bandon > west. That on top of a further €570m scheme to do Cork City itself and out to Bandon.

Thankfully we will then be able to take a train all the way from Cork to Skibbereen after we spend €1.02 Bn on these two schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If the name Guckian is attached, it's sure to be a cracker! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yup :D
    CORK City and County Councils could show genuine support for European Mobility Week and for Sustainable Transport policies in general by cancelling their unsustainable proposed Northern Ring Road scheme and spending the funds on an innovative € 573 million city- and county-wide rail system using continental European "tram-train" technology instead, a national sustainable transport researcher and campaigner, Brian Guckian, has said.

Load of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I couldnt read beyond the introduction with the tears of laughter.
    Local Lines / Línte Áitiúil is a proposed national low-cost light rail development framework. It is designed to complement the existing heavy rail network and builds on the success of the pilot LUAS light rail system in Dublin.

The Luas is a "pilot" for "low-cost" light rail systems in Gweedore, Manorhamilton and Skibbereen! Unbelievable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I remember some poor lad coming on here thinking this was going to happen. Poor chap was distraught that he couldn't get a 70km/h Luas to Cork in three years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The likes of Guckian pushed the WRC and said it could be done for 100m - and look what we got for it. Flooding before the damn thing opened, the bus slaughtering it on the 51X, trains slowing for accommodation crossings - fewer, but still too many for a reopened line, 5mph SRs on a rebuilt bridge, stations in the middle of nowhere and 5 services per direction per day. The likes of him are holding back realistic uses of former infrastructure such as cycleways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I don't know what you are on about.:cool: "The railway between Galway and Limerick has recently been reopened and has proved a massive success" as you can see .....here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

Someone suggests railway schemes.

They don't get built.

What exactly is the problem here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Someone suggests railway schemes.

They don't get built.

What exactly is the problem here?

Time and money is wasted by officialdom having to dismiss them and the constant queries from the confused about why they're not being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

MYOB wrote: »
    Time and money is wasted by officialdom having to dismiss them and the constant queries from the confused about why they're not being done.

*shrugs*

think there are far greater problems with Ireland than that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement