Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Brand of Petrol

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭kerten

Tesco or Maxol depends on my route. Maxol always gives less mileage than tesco. Didn't notice any change in engine running or performance. I guess it is higher octane in maxol petrol causes less mileage.

I prefer Tesco more now because of the mileage and points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Maxol + Dipetane.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ABT - Anything but tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Is that eight months ago, now, or both :confused:

What happens if you get €15 worth, does the mpg decrease?

I find that €100 of petrol gets me twice as many miles as €50 does, amazing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Max Power1 wrote: »

What happens if you get €15 worth, does the mpg decrease?

No!! I only ever put €10 in at a time, cos that's the amount of cash I only ever had knocking about to put petrol in the car with!!

Young and poor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,561 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I've been trying to find consistency with petrol suppliers and not really been successful. As was pointed out earlier in the thread, consistency is hard to find. My local Top stations (one is a heating oil depot with fuel pumps on-site, and the other is a retail forecourt) even vary between themselves. Some fills are smooth-running, others are crap, from either/both sources. This is taking into account weather conditions, etc - I've been paying attention to variables and forming opinion as I go.
    Even Esso, up the road from me, is inconsistent, although it tends to be a bit better.
    However, I filled up at a Texaco I never normally go near and the quality of running from that fill surpassed anything else I've had in the past couple of years.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I've been trying to find consistency with petrol suppliers and not really been successful. As was pointed out muchearlier in the thread, consistency is hard to find. My local Top stations (one is a heating oil depot with fuel pumps on-site, and the other is a retail forecourt) even vary between themselves. Some fills are smooth-running, others are crap, from either/both sources. This is taking into account weather conditions, etc - I've been paying attention to variables and forming opinion as I go.
    Even Esso, up the road from me, is inconsistent, although it tends to be a bit better.
    However, I filled up at a Texaco I never normally go near and the quality of running from that fill surpassed anything else I've had in the past couple of years.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

djimi wrote: »
    I have found I get less mpg from the cheaper garages, compared to paying a couple of cent more in the likes of Maxol. Ive always prefered using the Maxol in my area anyway. The difference between paying 134 for Maxol or 131 for a cheaper petrol equates to about a quarter of a litre in €20, or roughly 30c worth of petrol, so I really have no problem paying a little more for what Im happy with.

Just reading back through the thread; I really wish I was paying 134 now for petrol... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I know how many will say the petrol all comes from the same source and on and on; Maybe it's some additive or Maybe it's just a self-built delusion, but of the brands I tried I feel the car only runs properly on the Maxol stuff. I don't have any Esso or Texaco stations nearby, I should try them when I can.

It has to be said that it wasn't the case with the old Megane (2001 1.4L), which seemed to run just the same regardless of the fuel; Maybe it's the intrinsic characteristics of the JTS on the 159, but I observed as follows:

GreatGas - Horrible performance/running, with irregular idling;
    Tesco - Better than GreatGas, still missing some guts but at least the idle is smooth;
    Topaz - Decent performance and idling; Would be OKish if not for...
    Maxol - Good response at all revs, smooth idle - best so far;

As for fuel consumption (be it Km/L or MPG as you prefer), I would have no idea as I couldn't care less about it. If I did, I would have bought a Skoda Fabia, not an Alfa Romeo :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

That's interesting H3llR4iser. I find it incredible you find so much disparity between brands. I've never noticed a thing different no matter where I fill up. But that could just be down to me being insensitive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Did ye ever notice the odd (but lovely) smell from most competition cars? It is from the "racing" fuel that most were using. The reason this was being used was not for more power per se but rather for the consistency, something you can't get from pump fuel. When an engine is mapped/tuned for peak performance, discrepancies in fuel quality can have disastrous affects especially on pistons .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

se conman wrote: »
    Did ye ever notice the odd (but lovely) smell from most competition cars? It is from the "racing" fuel that most were using. The reason this was being used was not for more power per se but rather for the consistency, something you can't get from pump fuel. When an engine is mapped/tuned for peak performance, discrepancies in fuel quality can have disastrous affects especially on pistons .

It's all for power. If the fuel happens for whatever reason to be a lower grade(octane rating mostly) the ecu will retard the timing to prevent engine damage with a drop off in performance.

Since I went back to a petrol car (February) I've tried Topaz, Maxol,Appegreen, some place in Nenagh and to be perfectly honest I haven't seen any difference in idle quality, starting or mpg. I did find differences with diesel especially the amount of smoke being produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

A lot of nonsense been sprouted on the thread. I would love to know how people can do an in-depth quality assessment of petrol on sale, through "The Feel" of their foot on the accelerator of a 1.4 Megane..... :P

So many variables at play in trying to assess the quality in such a manner, that I would give more weight to the selection process of "Paul the Octopus" than I would to some of the opinions on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,561 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

A lot of nonsense been sprouted on the thread. I would love to know how people can do an in-depth quality assessment of petrol on sale, through "The Feel" of their foot on the accelerator of a 1.4 Megane..... :P

So many variables at play in trying to assess the quality in such a manner, that I would give more weight to the selection process of "Paul the Octopus" than I would to some of the opinions on this thread.

Scoff all you like, but I've been around the houses chasing an annoying 5K vibe on my bike and the Texaco fuel stopped it.
    Of course, you know better, you were riding it, weren't you?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Scoff all you like, but I've been around the houses chasing an annoying 5K vibe on my bike and the Texaco fuel stopped it.
    Of course, you know better, you were riding it, weren't you?

Ha ha. I've heard it all now. No need for garages lads, Texaco fuel will fix your bike. Complete rubbish...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Dangel4x4

jca wrote: »
    Ha ha. I've heard it all now. No need for garages lads, Texaco fuel will fix your bike. Complete rubbish...

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer was getting the hair-growth medicine, and Dr. Boyle says "I must assure you that any improvement you experience while using it will be purely coincidental."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

se conman wrote: »

That, and mist racing engines don't have catalytic converters in them, just a straight run out the pipes for the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm a Texaco fan myself. Their "Techron" additive package is mighty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Jesus. wrote: »
    That's interesting H3llR4iser. I find it incredible you find so much disparity between brands. I've never noticed a thing different no matter where I fill up. But that could just be down to me being insensitive!

It didn't occur to me initially, I simply though the car was being a bit temperamental - until I noticed the pattern: whenever it went like cr@p, I had fueled at GreatGas, and whenever it was running fine, it was Maxol.

It needs to be said that I normally refuel in the very same stations, so there might be something to their individual "quality"; Also, one specific station (no names here) has been quoted to me as "better avoided if possible".

"Car goes like sh1te" vs "car goes ok" is hardly in-depth analysis:D; it simply means that a specific car seems to like some fuel better than others.

Oh and any engine has characteristics and peculiarities, you don't need a 4 liters V8 to notice them. In fact, I often find that the smaller and less powerful the engine, the easier it gets to notice small changes in behaviour - you'd immediately notice a 10% power loss on say 50 hp, for obvious reasons :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

I need to see the facts or "evidence"that A brand petrol is better than brand B, such as comparing dyno sheets or lap times etc. on same car, same driver but different brands of petrol etc.

Otherwise this thread is a complete waste of time.. . .

Im not saying all brands will be the same (there may well be some variability in quality) I am merely highlighting the complete lack of evidence that assumptions are based.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Oh and any engine has characteristics and peculiarities, you don't need a 4 liters V8 to notice them. In fact, I often find that the smaller and less powerful the engine, the easier it gets to notice small changes in behaviour - you'd immediately notice a 10% power loss on say 50 hp, for obvious reasons :p

Fair point that. I could have sworn that since I got three new coils that there's a bit more pep in the engine and the MPG has improved.

But I read on other sites that that's not possible :confused:

Advertisement