Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you miss in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

AND CELTWORLD!!
    Such a pity its no more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Peigs?

Thats it. Wrecking me head trying to remember it, ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Playing Chase HQ, Cabaal, Street Fighter 2 and World Cup Italia 90 in the arcade at the Bowling alley.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

God Chase HQ takes me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I remember Playworld alright that was brilliant.

Hole no. 7 on the old kilbarry pitch and putt course, the water hole. I think it was no.7.

De La Salle snooker hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

I miss going to the 'dogs' (the greyhound track) on a saturday night and buying seets from the little sweet shop down stairs and putting on 50p bets at the tote upstairs

Also miss Club LA.

Crazy prices was way better than tesco aswell.

Also there used to be a clothes shop/toy shop where Heatons now is in Lisduggan shopping centre ..anyone remember the name of it?

Anyone remember 'Jimmys shop' ...for the life of me i cant remember the name of the raod but it is the back entrance to the Presentation Secondary School .... it was a shop more or less in his front room??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Anyone remember 'Jimmys shop' ...for the life of me i cant remember the name of the raod but it is the back entrance to the Presentation Secondary School .... it was a shop more or less in his front room??!
    That the place you could by single fags outta there ?

seanybiker wrote: »
    That the place you could by single fags outta there ?

Couldnt tell ya!! wasnt old enough for that then :D

Think some of the 'older girls' used to alright though and they would head down the 'mass path'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Decent blaas, the quality of blaas is terrible nowadays, i suppose its because most of the local bakerys have closed down.

The Green Bank Swiss Rolls .... they were tasty! Got one on Sundays for the tea on Sunday evening!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

shockwave wrote: »
    Decent blaas, the quality of blaas is terrible nowadays, i suppose its because most of the local bakerys have closed down.

I get blaa's everyday and nothing wrong with em

shockwave wrote: »
    The ones I had today where fecking savage. Dunno where they where bought though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

seanybiker wrote: »
    The ones I had today where fecking savage. Dunno where they where bought though.

Hard & Crusty -or- soft & floury; that is the question??
    Can never seem to get the hard'n'crusty wan's anymore,
    anyone know where I can get a few for ol' times sake??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Thats on Cannon Street. It only closed in the last year or two iirc, I sometimes got something in there on the walk home from work up till about 2007/08. He'd close about 6pm though so I suppose he mostly made his money from the school trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Funfair wrote: »
    I get blaa's everyday and nothing wrong with em

Hickeys blaas are alright but they're not a patch on Walshs crusty blaas tbh, they're a terrible loss.

Vanilla slices from Leahy's were great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

There was a shop on Barrack St that sold nice jam tart things with strips of pastry on the top.

I think it was Belgians that ran it.

Hard & Crusty -or- soft & floury; that is the question??
    Can never seem to get the hard'n'crusty wan's anymore,
    anyone know where I can get a few for ol' times sake??

Hickey's Bakery or Spar on Barrack Street also Centra in Pierce Park/John's Park have them.

dayshah wrote: »
    There was a shop on Barrack St that sold nice jam tart things with strips of pastry on the top.

I think it was Belgians that ran it.

la tisseera Maria or something like that I think it was called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I'm only 18 (19 April) But I miss the days of exploring and biking around the woods in Abbey Park. Infact, I miss almost everything about Abbey Park. I wouldn't know the place if I went up there now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

UhOh wrote: »
    :D

what was it called, an Siopa Beag? the stuff they had to put up with ( but were oblivious to) was unreal :D

anyone remember Kitty Gores on Wilkins Street? Selling single fags, a match & a bit of sand paper to light it off to the teenagers in De La Salle....jaysus the 80s were great

Yeah Siopa Beag..what went on in there was mental..pure riot with the two old ladies behind the counter trying to contain it..fellas robbin stuff, spittin in over the counter till it got too much then one of them used to come running out from behind the counter with the sweepin brush and everyone scattered. All the sweets and chocs used to be out of date.

Remember Kittys too..she used to stand beside you in her dressing gown and slippers when you were at the counter and hold yer arm in case ye ran without paying..as if she had any hope off holding you!...while her husband would serve you behind the bars on the counter. Never any problem handing out 20 major to a 12 year old!..ye gotta love the 80's!

• Advertisement

UhOh wrote: »
    :D

what was it called, an Siopa Beag? the stuff they had to put up with ( but were oblivious to) was unreal :D

anyone remember Kitty Gores on Wilkins Street? Selling single fags, a match & a bit of sand paper to light it off to the teenagers in De La Salle....jaysus the 80s were great

yeah and Seanies shop in Roaches st and the little Post office on the corner of Water street with an oul one handing out penny jellies in her dressing gown :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Cantwells selling vinyl records and the music instruments at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Wimpy's Burgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

I just miss Waterford being fun too much doom and gloom around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What was the name of the video library between John's Lane and John's Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

Strand Video ?

Nolanger wrote: »
    What was the name of the video library between John's Lane and John's Street?

Bernie's ?

Sinnotts Discs

The little shop in lisduggan where lifestyle is now. You could see all the sweet jars as ya entered the place. Nomnom nom

• Advertisement

chelloveks wrote: »
    Wimpy's Burgers

Where was this in Waterford?

Advertisement