Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USA for Ireland

• 19-01-2011 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey there, so here is the deal, I am in point in my life that I would like to relocate from Montana, USA and have always wanted to live in Ireland. Even if I just gave it a shot for 6 months I would be happy. I have heard thru the grapevine that you can stay with host families and such and they will emerse you in the Irish language so you can learn it, which is also on my major "to-do" list. I am however not a student at the moment, so I guess, is there anyone out there that has any ideas, web pages i could check out and suggestions as to info or help with moving to Ireland. I have 3 years exp. working at a martini bar here, is it super hard to find a job like that in Ireland. When I went to my visit I liked every part of Ireland so whether its a big or small town really doesnt matter to me, my room mate just recently committed suicide and I feel like I need to get out of this town and follow my dreams. Any help would be appreciated.
    -Sheila

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Stay put!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yaylward

Hi Sheila,

First off all sincere sympathy on the recent death of your room mate - it must of been a huge shock to you...as to learning Irish with a host family - you are right there are many families in the west of Ireland such as Mayo, West Cork, and Kerry that 'host' students who wish to learn Irish. The prices differ but I would advise that you get in contact with Foras na Gaeilge the body that deals with Irish language education - there website is http://www.gaeilge.ie/Home.asp or even just googe Irish language + Gaeltacht.

It depends on what your savings are like but Ireland is in a 'bad state' financially - in fact we're almost the 'basket case of Europe' : ) so it may be difficult to pick up work but you do have a good deal of bar expierence and thats an advantage. The ideal situation is to 'bargain' and try and get a good deal - moneywise with a host family. If your staying for 3+ months particularly in the winter /spring months, the rates are likely to be reasonable. I won the green card last year and spent 6 months in New York volunteering with an organisation called ' Hour Children' - however I returned to Ireland to do another years study. I have extremely fond memories of Americans, with their openess and friendliness and would not discount returning - in essence if your stuck for a bed for a couple of nights I would be happy to oblige.

Good luck Sheila, its a stressful time, think carefully but if you really need to get away follow your gut instinct. I live in Co. Kilkenny Ireland -

All the best

Yvette

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Sorry to hear about your roommate.

www.couchsurfing.com is a great website, but I assume that it's for shorter trips than six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Your best hope of getting a job would unfortunately not suit your hopes of learning Irish. It would be far more difficult get a job in one of the Irish speaking areas than in Dublin city. Bar work would be easier come by there than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

As an American you're entitled to a 3 month tourist visa (it's what you automatically get when you arrive and they stamp your passport) but if you want to work or stay longer than that, you need to sort that out with the Irish Immigration dept (www.inis.gov.ie). I would imagine you'd really struggle to find work here as things really are not good economically, as everyone has already said. If you plan to stay longer than 3 months, I would also imagine you'll have to prove you can support yourself financially (ie, have money in your American bank account that is enough to live off of). Work permits here tie you to one employer and are tough to get for unskilled work anyway, so I'd really advise you to think hard about what you want to do- it's not as easy to pick up and move here as you might think.
    Coming on a 3 month holiday is different though and might give you enough time to do what you want to do anyway.
    I know you're going though a tough time right now, so hope something works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Wisco wrote: »
    Work permits here tie you to one employer

i thought the gov abolished single employer work permits to stop immigrant worker exploitation.

it was supposed to be changed so that the immigrant has the work permit not the employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

My brother and his wife do that host family think down in Kerry. There after having over 100 people with them over the last few years. Some for a month or two and others upto a year. Let us know how ya get on sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hey,

I know a lad from Montana who actually came to Ireland to study Irish. He is now fluent, and I think he's located back in Montana. Might be worth getting in touch with him. Drop me a message if you want and I'll pass him on your details.

Advertisement