Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super League 2011. General Banter thread

• 07-01-2011 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

Well at last the drought is coming to an end. Little more than a month to go to the start of the regular season. What are people's thoughts re: this season? Wonder if the Millennium Magic weekend to kick things off will be successful? Not so sure myself...

Predicting a Wigan win this year, also wonder if the Saints can come good (and hold on to Eastmond, given the interest from Union). be interesting to see if the upheaval at Headingley will have knock on effects positive or negative on the field. Also hope the non-heartland clubs can make a better showing this year than last. Really, really want to see something positive from the Catalans this season. Also be watching Cas/wakey with interest...

As for the championship have just moved to York so hopefully will catch the newly promoted York City Knights in action....Anyway here's to a good one, can't come soon enough...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I hope we have a wide open league, with at least 4 or 5 teas contesting the big prize.

Personally speaking I hope the youngest coach in Super League does a good job for us and that the 8 homegrown players at Quins now are part of a marginally more successful season than last year. Off the pitch, I hope they get a few more bums on seats, though never confident about this.

Would love to see the RFL decide on a bigger Super League for future seasons, as I have said before, I think it would make for a more competitive league for teams outside the big three or four.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

dooferoaks wrote: »

Personally speaking I hope the youngest coach in Super League does a good job for us and that the 8 homegrown players at Quins now are part of a marginally more successful season than last year. Off the pitch, I hope they get a few more bums on seats, though never confident about this.

+1, hope Quins have a big season. Will definitely get down to the stoop this year, for a Leeds game and hopefully as a neutral if I can manage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hopefully the opening weekend will be a success so it's on at the same time again next year, drink took it's toll on me over Christmas. :pac:

How do Quins look anyway wrt signings etc? There were times last year when their injuries dried up a little that they looked a half-decent side.

amacachi wrote: »
    How do Quins look anyway wrt signings etc? There were times last year when their injuries dried up a little that they looked a half-decent side.

The injury situation was a joke and it did them no favours, any team would have suffered under that strain. If Quins can get a injury free run and a wee bit of luck I reckon they'll be a credible threat to any team and could reasonably expect a mid table finish.

They've signed Jack Latus (three quarter)from KR and Mike Burnett (back row)from Hull FC on a long term loan and Dan Sarginson's come through the academy ranks. Folk in the know reckon he'll be one to watch.

toomevara wrote: »
    The injury situation was a joke and it did them no favours, any team would have suffered under that strain. If Quins can get a injury free run and a wee bit of luck I reckon they'll be a credible threat to any team and could reasonably expect a mid table finish.

They've signed Jack Latus (three quarter)from KR and Mike Burnett (back row)from Hull FC on a long term loan and Dan Sarginson's come through the academy ranks. Folk in the know reckon he'll be one to watch.

They have also signed Chris Bailey from Manly. Unlike last season, we have 30 names on our squad list.

I hope MacCarthy-Scarsbrook gets a better welcome back in London this season. The "fans" accused him of being a judas which is a bit sad, he served his time with Quins, was consistanly one of our better players and now wants to see if he can win a bit of silverware, I hope he does well, except against Quins obviously!

• Advertisement

Link to BBC story.
    The Rugby Football League have put forward a proposal to expand the Championship from 11 to 14 clubs.
    A shake-up of the divisional structure below Super League for the 2012, 2013 and 2014 seasons has been circulated to Championship clubs.

If the clubs approve the proposals, the RFL hopes to announce the make-up of the league in September.
    The new-look Championship would then kick in for 2012, with entry dependent on clubs meeting minimum standards.

The size of the Championship will determine how many clubs participate in Championship One.

But the RFL says it will seek expressions of interest from clubs currently playing outside Championship level to join the third-tier competition.
    It is proposed that promotion and relegation between the Championship and Championship One will continue up to 2014.
    After that, the RFL could then also consider promotion and relegation between Championship One and the Conference Leagues.

Cup competitions, including the Northern Rail Cup which kicks off this week, will remain an integral part of any new structure but are likely to move to a schedule within the Championships season.
    The RFL says that central funding will continue but that under the new proposals the size of hand-outs will be more performance-related, based on factors such as a club's contribution to the sport and its business management.

RFL chief operating officer Ralph Rimmer said: "There are indeed some radical changes in there. But I have no doubt that these proposals will allow the RFL to maximise the return on its investment and improve the stability of clubs by encouraging stronger business management."

Personally think its a great idea, hope it gets support and they go through with it.

I'm for it, just hope its not spreading resources too thin...hope Toulouse make a play. I sincerely hope that it doesn't lead top a slew of second rate Aussies spotting a chance for an easy payday.

Wonder if that's the last we'll see of Paul Cooke?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/9382533.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Wonder if that's the last we'll see of Paul Cooke?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/9382533.stm

Afraid Paul Cooke isn't worth an SL contract, even John Kear couldn't motivate him to put any desire or effort into his play.

Shame but Cookey is a spent force.

BBC reckon Wakefield will get a 6 point deduction for the start of the season for going into administration, going to be tighter at the bottom of the league than usual this year! Didn't realise this is the third time they have avoided a winding up order.

• Advertisement

BBC reckon Wakefield will get a 6 point deduction for the start of the season for going into administration, going to be tighter at the bottom of the league than usual this year! Didn't realise this is the third time they have avoided a winding up order.

Wonder how this will affect Wakey's attempt to secure a franchise at the next round? Hope they can have a decent season on the field this year.

Most Wakey fans see this as a move in the right direction - to get rid of the old board and bring in new investment and impetus.

It is speculated that there are 3 interested parties in taking over so at least the club should survive.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Most Wakey fans see this as a move in the right direction - to get rid of the old board and bring in new investment and impetus.

It is speculated that there are 3 interested parties in taking over so at least the club should survive.

Any gen on precisely who? What are Wakey fans regarding as a best case scenario here? Survival in the SL or perhaps going down to championship level and rebuilding? Interesting times ahead for the Wakey faithful whichever way it goes I guess....

Any gen on precisely who? What are Wakey fans regarding as a best case scenario here? Survival in the SL or perhaps going down to championship level and rebuilding? Interesting times ahead for the Wakey faithful whichever way it goes I guess....

A consortium 'the Spirit of 1873' led by Andrew Glover from 'West Yorkshire Windows' has openly declared their intentions. Steve Parkin (who was interested in Leeds United) and shirt sponsor Eric France are also said to be interested.

Chairman Ted Richardson had said that he had 4 interested parties look over Wakey's books when he was trying to get investment into the club so there may be others interested. Sir Rodney Walker has to come into the equation somewhere as he paid the club's last tax bill to stave off the last winding-up order.

As for the fans all they care about is that whoever takes over does it for the love of the club and not for self-interest.

I was hoping I'd never see the Crusaders and the phrase 'visa problems' in the same sentence again. Alas, plus ca change and al that (will these people ever learn??)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/celtic_crusaders/9384253.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

I was hoping I'd never see the Crusaders and the phrase 'visa problems' in the same sentence again. Alas, plus ca change and al that (will these people ever learn??)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/celtic_crusaders/9384253.stm

I'm hoping it's an easier season for them

Anyone else off to Millenium Magic? I'm staying in a hotel in Caerphilly as we couldn't find any reasonable ones near the stadium. Looking forward to some big games...hopefully there's a reasonable crowd to match. Not holding out much hope though

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    A consortium 'the Spirit of 1873' led by Andrew Glover from 'West Yorkshire Windows' has openly declared their intentions. Steve Parkin (who was interested in Leeds United) and shirt sponsor Eric France are also said to be interested.

Chairman Ted Richardson had said that he had 4 interested parties look over Wakey's books when he was trying to get investment into the club so there may be others interested. Sir Rodney Walker has to come into the equation somewhere as he paid the club's last tax bill to stave off the last winding-up order.

As for the fans all they care about is that whoever takes over does it for the love of the club and not for self-interest.

Theres a BBC story about the offer from Spirit of 1873 HERE , sounds promising.
    AdeT wrote: »
    I'm hoping it's an easier season for them

Anyone else off to Millenium Magic? I'm staying in a hotel in Caerphilly as we couldn't find any reasonable ones near the stadium. Looking forward to some big games...hopefully there's a reasonable crowd to match. Not holding out much hope though

My brother is heading back to it again this year, I couldn't afford it, has the RFL made money out of any of the years its been in Wales/Scotland?

My brother is heading back to it again this year, I couldn't afford it, has the RFL made money out of any of the years its been in Wales/Scotland?

Been a mixed bag to date apparently with last years Scottish outing the least successful. From what I'm reading at the moment it looks like next weekend may be the best selling yet, despite slow ticket sales up to the last week. Incidentally Mickey Rourke will be there as he is researching his forthcoming role as gareth thomas in a upcoming hollywood movie of his life..:eek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/feb/07/cardiff-magic-weekend-super-league

Also Jordan Tansey's been up to his old tricks again. FC have terminated his contract immediately for, yes you've guessed it, disciplinary reasons;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/hull/9391365.stm

According to SSN, Steve Parkin has withdrawn his interest in buying Wakefield, is it definitely a six point deduction they are getting?

Wakey have been taken over by the The Spirit of 1873 Ltd (subject to approval by the RFL). :D

It seems the consensus of opinion was that Parkin didn't really have the interests of the club at heart and that when the RFL couldn't give an assurance that Wakey would get a franchise he pulled out. Andrew Glover, who is now the new club Chairman, is a true Wakey fan so everyone is happy.

Unlike the Crusaders Wakey have been saved without a bail-out from the RFL!

Now all we have to find out is how points are to be deducted.:(

• Advertisement

Big year for Rob Purdham this year, into his tenth year in London, his loyalty to Broncos and Quins has been fantastic, I really hope Harlequins have a good year to encourage the fans to contribute to all his events in his testimonial year.

Will probably be his last year down south but 200 plus games means he should be considered a legend in London RLs short history.

There is a rumour of a cross code game between the Quins team but Rob Purdhams Testimonial Website doesn't mention it.

Have to say I lost my enthusiasm for RL.

I suppose it was to be expected that some of the 'rugby league family' of fans would be happy to see the demise of Wakefield, in the belief that it made their SL status more secure.

The fact that there has been very little 'family' support, just general apathy, to the possible loss of one of the founder clubs, has been disappointing.

Witnessing the speeds at which the Giants and Hull swooped to pick at the carcass before new owners could take control leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

Rugby League is a run-of-the-mill, dog-eat-dog professional sport and any 'family' connection is an urban myth.

Playing devils advocate, Wakefield have faced winding up 3 times in two years, apart from the lack of love from the wider community, perhaps the Super League era has left original Wakefield fans cold and disenfranchised?

With regards to losing players, I agree the teams concerned haven't covered themselves in glory, but speaking as a supporter of a small team, at the bottom of the league, who loses all/most of their talent every off season, this is nothing new TBH.

Its a terrible state of affairs, but for all the "money" pumped in by Murdoch, I am sure the soul is pumped straight back out. It has happened with football, ?Rugby Unions Premiership heading the same way, I'm sure RL is a way down that slippery slope.

I think regardless of your dislike of the wider game at the moment, your obvious affection for Wakefield Trinity will mean you can't walk away (at least I hope anyway)

Playing devils advocate, Wakefield have faced winding up 3 times in two years, apart from the lack of love from the wider community, perhaps the Super League era has left original Wakefield fans cold and disenfranchised?

With regards to losing players, I agree the teams concerned haven't covered themselves in glory, but speaking as a supporter of a small team, at the bottom of the league, who loses all/most of their talent every off season, this is nothing new TBH.

Its a terrible state of affairs, but for all the "money" pumped in by Murdoch, I am sure the soul is pumped straight back out. It has happened with football, ?Rugby Unions Premiership heading the same way, I'm sure RL is a way down that slippery slope.

I think regardless of your dislike of the wider game at the moment, your obvious affection for Wakefield Trinity will mean you can't walk away (at least I hope anyway)

It is true Wakey have been on the brink for some time now, held back by a Chairman who didn't want to relinquish power but had no money to keep the club going. This stumbling from crisis to crisis has certainly been dispiriting for the fans. The uncertainty and delays surrounding the new ground has also compounded that frustration.

The point about losing players is that Wakey had already trimmed down its squad (and wage bill) to the bare bones and no doubt had Hull or the Giants made offers for Obst or Ferguson in the off-season they probably would have been accommodated. To jump in as soon as the club went into administration, before a survival package could be completed, and pick the players off on the cheap is, to say the least, cynical and disrespectful.

This is a fascinating debate folks. and I definitely think that RL in the UK is reaching a crunch point for a whole host of reasons. The financial stability(or lack thereof) of some clubs, the increasing inroads RU is making into the best talent the 13 man code has to offer (Eastmond is by all accounts of to RU this week) and now they're even raiding youth academies, the Sky money debate (last weekend a case in point, wall to wall RU coverage, barely a mention of the kick off of SL in mainstream media, except to comment on a half empty millennium stadium) is it time to take a short term financial hit for more long term exposure of the game on terrestrial TV, etc...etc... I think this season will be crucial for the future of the game.

I wonder if the RFL would be bold enough to break from Sky? I doubt it unfortunately. I believe RFL could be picked up relatively cheaply for a terrestrial television station looking to fill their schedule with top grade sport. Since Soccer has become so expensive, and Skys hold over RU gets ever tighter, it would be a great option for the BBC or ITV, maybe even channel 5.

Even the threat of it may encourage Sky to get back behind RL, their summer schedule for sport is reliant on RL and Cricket to keep people subbed.

Back to unfortunate events at Wakefield and another vulture has swooped, Catalans Dragons have signed Fijian international centre Darryl Millard. If all that is stopping the new owners taking over is the fit and proper person test, the RFL need to pull their finger out and get it done so some stability can be bought back to the club.

Back to unfortunate events at Wakefield and another vulture has swooped, Catalans Dragons have signed Fijian international centre Darryl Millard. If all that is stopping the new owners taking over is the fit and proper person test, the RFL need to pull their finger out and get it done so some stability can be bought back to the club.

This is very grim for Wakey. How are they going to remain competitive this season if this haemorrhage of talent continues?

So another day, and more sad news at Wakefield as 30 backroom staff have been made redundant, shame the RFL couldn't have offered a bridging loan or similar. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel, hopefully the takeover could be finished today.

From the BBC:
    The administrators running troubled Super League club Wakefield have made around 30 staff redundant, but no players are among the casualties. Administrator Peter O'Hara revealed the cuts ahead of hoping to conclude a takeover deal with prospective new owner Andrew Glover on Thursday.

"About 30 administration staff were given their notice yesterday," he said. "There may be a couple staying on to work in the shop. But none of the playing staff have been dismissed." Of the proposed takeover deal, O'Hara added: "We expect to complete the deal today (Thursday), as we have been expecting to do for a few days, but we are getting nearer. The other party keep coming back with queries."

The RFL agreed to pay the Administrators for 28 days.

Hopefully the new owners will re-employ many of staff, though a number were family members and associates of the old regime, so they had to go.

There are many contradictory messages coming from the media and the administrators (who have been rather unprofessional in their dealings with the press) but it seems the takeover could be complete either today or tomorrow. The RFL are expected to then announce the points sanction on the club.

Apparently Tony Smith has intimated that he would be willing to loan some Wires players to Wakey to help them out. If it's true then it would go some way in restoring my faith that the RL community does actually care about the game as a whole, not just themselves.

• Advertisement

SSN reporting the takeover at Wakefield has gone through, Andrew Glover on SSN now. As such, Wakefield are now out of administration.

Originally spoke to club concerned about his sponsorship, happy club is viable so bought club.

All bar 5 of the people made redundant re-employed.

Still awaiting confirmation of points deduction.

Unaware of chance of renewal of franchise or otherwise.

Positive about future of whole club, not just playing side. Fresh, new future for Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.

Advertisement