Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing Enterprise - D virtual model

• 07-02-2011 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Thought you guys would be interested in this, some guy has built a virtual 1:1 scale model of the Enterprise in the computer game Minecraft.
    The actual size of the ship (if it were real) is truly breathtaking:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Its really amazing but I think that all that talent and interest could have been channelled into building a real enterprise instead of a virtual one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its really amazing but I think that all that talent and interest could have been channelled into building a real enterprise instead of a virtual one.

:confused: As in build a Mckinley Station, source all the raw materials needed including dilithium crystals etc, & actually construct it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

EnterNow wrote: »
    :confused: As in build a Mckinley Station, source all the raw materials needed including dilithium crystals etc, & actually construct it?

Well if he had any ambition, then yeah

Well if he had any ambition, then yeah

I've plenty of ambition, I just lack the ability to get into space so I could lend him a hand.

I've plenty of ambition, I just lack the ability to get into space so I could lend him a hand.

Pfft. Galaxy classes are built on the ground. Admitting the the ground is Mars mind

• Advertisement

Pfft. Galaxy classes are built on the ground. Admitting the the ground is Mars mind

Nah connies are built on the ground, call your self a Star Trek fan? :p

Nah connies are built on the ground, call your self a Star Trek fan? :p

Utopia_Planitia.jpg

I have rolled this out a few times,when people complain about the JJ Enterprise being built in Iowa.
    I imagine that the superstructure is built on the ground, with outfitting done in orbit

I'll see your Utopia Planitia pic, & raise you this

Galaxy_class_design_lab.jpg

I'm not convinced that Utopia Planitia picture is of the actual construction of a Galaxy class ship. Could be a template, R&D or some other form. It just doesn't make sense to build all the major components on the ground, & then have to get them to orbit.

Look to the right of my pic and you will see several nacells. This is not just for one ship and the pic is from a Voyager episode AFAIK.

Remember it is much easier to have your people work in gravity. You can do all the big jobs that require a high level of manpower on the ground, while moving to space for further work.

• Advertisement

Look to the right of my pic and you will see several nacells. This is not just for one ship and the pic is from a Voyager episode AFAIK.

Are you sure those are nacells? They look a bit big to me, I could be wrong though. It's a pic from Parallels, TNG.

Are you sure those are nacells? They look a bit big to me, I could be wrong though. It's a pic from Parallels, TNG.

Indeed it is, from Parallels, but it is conjecture to state that it is a research ship.
    All I can see is that a ship is looking ready to come together, on the Martian surface. It also explains how shipyards can pump out ships (that can take months/years to build), so quickly, even though you only ever see a handful of orbital platforms. If the ships are constructed below and assembled in the platform, it leads to a much greater turnaround

And (i imagine) that a "tug" with tractor beam could easilly move large components to space. Even a "completed" structure

Indeed it is, from Parallels, but it is conjecture to state that it is a research ship.
    All I can see is that a ship is looking ready to come together, on the Martian surface. It also explains how shipyards can pump out ships (that can take months/years to build), so quickly, even though you only ever see a handful of orbital platforms. If the ships are constructed below and assembled in the platform, it leads to a much greater turnaround

That may be, but like all of these dicussions, there's nothing cannon to state either side of the debate is correct which makes it pointless :) Both sides may very well be correct, it's a never ending argument really.

That may be, but like all of these dicussions, there's nothing cannon to state either side of the debate is correct which makes it pointless :) Both sides may very well be correct, it's a never ending argument really.

TBH I found that pic as I kinda thought that it would always be crazy to completely build in space. Given the potentially thousands of people that would be working. That is a lot of spacesuits and danger.

It was prompted by seeing the Enterprise in JJ Trek being ground constructed and people claiming that it was heresy. I googled Enterprise ground construction and this was one of the pics, showing that there was potential previous canon, to support the JJ Trek.
    It is a circular argument as it was never stated on screen but I often find that fan discussion is why Trek fora survive over say our own Lord Of The Rings forum etc. We are anal about details and Trek brings out some great discussions "in-universe".

I was thinking he could have built it in his backyard from polystyrene or papier mache, or more ambitiously he could have arranged a group of trek nerds to construct and a full scale replica you could actually go into for real, every part of the ship would be accessible.

I was thinking he could have built it in his backyard from polystyrene or papier mache, or more ambitiously he could have arranged a group of trek nerds to construct and a full scale replica you could actually go into for real, every part of the ship would be accessible.

Including the sports car, WWII plane, duck, mouse, etc???

Well they are in the cutaway schematic, from the Engineering section (and in the tech manual)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

potentially thousands of people that would be working. That is a lot of spacesuits and danger.

cue JJ kirk......... You are aware starfleet WORKS in space, right.....

gatecrash wrote: »
    cue JJ kirk......... You are aware starfleet WORKS in space, right.....

Starfleet operates in space. The people operate in nice, big, climate controlled and environmentally secure ships/stations.

Having 1,000's of people floating around in EVA suits, while constructing a massive ship just does not make sense to me.

The Navies, of the world, operate on/in the oceans but the ships are still built on land.

We could build them in the water, but why bother, when it is easier to build the main structure, float it and then complete the outfitting

Including the sports car, WWII plane, duck, mouse, etc???

Well they are in the cutaway schematic, from the Engineering section (and in the tech manual)

I think it would be well doable, the vast talent and intelligence exhibited by the trek nerd in the video indicates this. A little positive thinking and organization would go a long way. Imagine this trek nerd and 10 more like him putting their brains together, they'd be unstoppable. Well, the only thing that might stop them would be their physical weakness.

Well, the only thing that might stop them would be their physical weakness.

Other things may apply, such as cost? Running costs for electricity etc? Oh, & a place to store a replica starship that's over half a kilometer long?

• Advertisement

Other things may apply, such as cost? Running costs for electricity etc? Oh, & a place to store a replica starship that's over half a kilometer long?

Thats easily done, using their mathematical superskills they could make winnings on the stock market or just donate parts of their salaries towards the project, they could also do an internet fundraising campaign, there would be enough mental trek cases to donate, there could even be a few generous millionaire patrons. They would probably need to buy an allotment of land to construct it.

Thats easily done, using their mathematical superskills they could make winnings on the stock market or just donate parts of their salaries towards the project, they could also do an internet fundraising campaign, there would be enough mental trek cases to donate, there could even be a few generous millionaire patrons. They would probably need to buy an allotment of land to construct it.

You make a good case, & I'd certainly pay in to have a walk around a replica Galaxy class ship :cool: It would simple cost too much to do it, certainly more than people are willing to donate given we''re in the middle of a global recession. I like your optimism though :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd be willing to throw in €50 as long as i have free access to the Holodeck.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd be willing to throw in €50 as long as i have free access to the Holodeck.

Woah there buddy, the holodeck is reserved for myself :D

Woah there buddy, the holodeck is reserved for myself :D

Hey, if its an acurate Enterprise - D, then there's one for both of us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Kiith wrote: »
    Hey, if its an acurate Enterprise - D, then there's one for both of us :)

Pah, the holodeck would be wasted on ye ;)

Computer. 10 of each. Disable the safeties and bring me some beer. Engage!

XAjT5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fnordius

You know, of all the things that the last movie broke in canon, it was the construction of the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701, in Iowa. An Iowa that had no resemblance whatsoever to the real thing, but that's another story. It was long accepted that the Constitution class starships were all built in the San Francisco dockyards in low earth orbit, though some also claim it was geostationary orbit above San Francisco.

I personally think it makes no sense to build a starship that deep inside a gravity well, as it will be subjected to stresses perpendicular to the line of travel. Better to do it in a weightless environment, really, and J.J. Abrams' reboot be damned. ^_^

Fnordius wrote: »
    You know, of all the things that the last movie broke in canon, it was the construction of the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701, in Iowa. An Iowa that had no resemblance whatsoever to the real thing, but that's another story. It was long accepted that the Constitution class starships were all built in the San Francisco dockyards in low earth orbit, though some also claim it was geostationary orbit above San Francisco.
    Starfleet wrote:
    After the destruction of the U.S.S Kelvin, Starfleet has decided that all future Starships will be constructed in the Iowa Shipyards, on Earth.

See what i did there? :pac:

It didnt break anything in canon. It created it's own canon for the alternative universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fnordius

I guess because I really did grow up in Iowa (shock! surprise!) it just felt wrong. Like "ooh, let's do this so that we can set up a cool shot of young Kirk and the Enterprise under construction!"

It was a fun movie, but turning the Anheuser Busch brewery into the guts of the Enterprise (that's Budweiser in those tanks in the computer room!) took away the feeling of having an outer hull to the ship.

Just a LOT of niggling things that start to grate on the nerves of this old original series grognard. ;)

• Advertisement

Fnordius wrote: »
    I guess because I really did grow up in Iowa (shock! surprise!) it just felt wrong. Like "ooh, let's do this so that we can set up a cool shot of young Kirk and the Enterprise under construction!"

It was a fun movie, but turning the Anheuser Busch brewery into the guts of the Enterprise (that's Budweiser in those tanks in the computer room!) took away the feeling of having an outer hull to the ship.

Just a LOT of niggling things that start to grate on the nerves of this old original series grognard. ;)

90% of people would not know that is a brewery. None of my friends knew, untill I mentioned it to them and I only knew because I worked in a brewery

Advertisement