Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

An open shoe-lace and an unlucky traffic light pushed mile one over the 9 minute mark this evening. But over the full run I hit my target pace spot on at 8:35. Felt a bit tired and it was pretty cold this evening. I always run with a water bottle and by the end my right-hand was frozen numb.

Tomorrow crank it up a little and aim for 7:5X miles.

M1 9:04
    M2 8:37
    M3 8:21
    M4 8:24

Total 4.33M @ 8:35

Date|Distance|Target Pace|Actual Pace
    14 Jan|4.28 |8:3X| 8:29
    15 Jan|4.36 |8:0X| 7:59
    16 Jan|4.26 |8:3X| 8:29
    19 Jan|4.33 |8:3X| 8:35
    20 Jan| |7:5X|
    21 Jan| |8:3X|
    24 Jan| |8:3X|
    25 Jan| |7:4X|
    26 Jan| |8:3X|

Pair of gloves first thing on my checklist this evening. Out into the cold and set off at a good clip. Some slippy patches, be careful.

First mile in 7:30. When I run my loop clockwise mile two is always the slowest mile, tonight a 7:51. Hmmm, ok I'm tempted to try stay under 8:00 minutes for each mile. Mile three and tonight's run feeling like a proper workout now. Exercising the lungs and I post a 7:33. Ok I do ease off a little and mile four is 8:02.

Very poor discipline tonight, I should have eased of after mile 1. But I enjoyed the run. I'm ahead of schedule, my 7:4X run was planned for next Tuesday. Feeling confident now that my race-pace runs will be 7:4X.

Promise to self, tomorrow stay disciplined and hit 8:3X.

M1 7:30
    M2 7:51
    M3 7:33
    M4 8:02

Total 4.30M @ 7:46

20 Jan|4.30 |7:5X| 7:46
    21 Jan| |8:3X|

Didn't get out of work on time last night so postponed yesterday's run. Went out this morning instead. Chilly enough. Felt tired and was convinced I was running slower than 8:3X, I was near the end but still posted an average pace of 8:23.

Smell steak and onions from downstairs. Hungry.

M1 8:19
    M2 8:09
    M3 8:30
    M4 8:36

Total 4.32M @ 8:23

22 Jan|4.32 |8:3X| 8:23

Went for MRI Sunday morning. Results will go out to physician early this week. Despite my knee feeling fine I'm a bit anxious about what will find. Fingers-crossed.

Have to switch this week's runs from the evenings to the mornings. But this morning I just could not summon the will-power to get up and out. Early to bed tonight is the plan then fresh for the road in the morning.

Got my run in before work this morning. Been a while since I've managed that. I'd forgotten how good it feels to get an early morning run in. You can do no wrong for the rest of the day.

Paced well as well. Ran at the same effort the whole time. Targeting 8:35. First mile mostly downhill in 8:22 (-13"), don't worry second mile is mostly uphill 8:46 (-2"). Nice and steady through miles three, 8:25 (-12") and four, 8:32 (-15"). Final average pace 8:34.

M1 8:22
    M2 8:46
    M3 8:25
    M4 8:32

Total 4.29M @ 8:34

25 Jan|4.29 |8:3X| 8:34
    26 Jan| |7:4X|
    27 Jan| |8:3X|

• Advertisement

All things going well, marathon training starts next Tuesday. I'm thinking a lot about paces. Plan is to follow Hal Higdon Intermediate II schedule. Trick now is to figure out what paces to apply to the 5 weekly runs. First off I'm going to abandon running to 'X' paces, 8:0X, 8:3X, etc. Find this gives be too much scope to be flexible and I lose focus. So I'm going to be very specific about by paces. Right now I'm thinking.

Tuesdays and Thursdays @ 8:25
    I feel very comfortable at this pace. These runs are never very long. Anything slower would be too close to LSR pace. Should keep me tipping over nicely.

Wednesdays @ 8:00
    I really don't want to rely only on Saturdays for fast running. Want to get a decent enough work out during the week as well. Might be tough at first but should get easier as I progress.

Saturdays PMP @ 7:45
    My real PMP will be 7:55 but I want to train at 7:45. I like to give myself that little buffer. Will be tough in the first few weeks, but like Wednesdays this should get easier as the weeks pass.

Sundays LSR @ 8:40
    45 seconds slower than the actual PMP I plan to run the marathon at, and 55 seconds slower that the PMP I will train at.

Still have a week to confirm these.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Have been told by some very good runners that they key to improvement is varying your pace. Your recovery runs should be slow, and your fast runs should be fast. You don't seem to have that - are all your sessions paced very similarly? If you're planning on doing 8 minute miles for a marathon I'd have expected your slow runs to be about 9 mins/mile and your speedwork up near 7 mins/mile. Just curious why you've picked the paces so close together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

macinalli wrote: »
    Have been told by some very good runners that they key to improvement is varying your pace. Your recovery runs should be slow, and your fast runs should be fast. You don't seem to have that - are all your sessions paced very similarly? If you're planning on doing 8 minute miles for a marathon I'd have expected your slow runs to be about 9 mins/mile and your speedwork up near 7 mins/mile. Just curious why you've picked the paces so close together!

+1 I was training for a 3:30 marathon this summer.
    I would do a midweek tempo every fortnight of 3-7 miles (building up the distance through the weeks) at Half marathon pace: 6 miles with 3 at HMP to start building up to 11 with 7 @ HMP. This pace started at about 7:30/mile but by the end of the training period i could hold 7:10/mile for about 7 miles. In the weeks I wasn't doing a tempo i'd do an intervals session (10 x 400m, 6x 800m, 5x 100om) at about 6:30/mile.

Most easy/recovery runs would be 9min/mile+ and LSR's were a mixture of Slow (9Min/mile+) to build endurance and PMP (e.g. 18 miles with the last 14 at 7:55/mile) to get used to running at marathon Pace. Like tempos, PMP LSR's started short and built up as the weeks went on/fitness imporved (e.g. 10 with 6@PMP, 12 with 7@pmp, 14 with 10@PMP etc..)

The point is each run and pace should have a purpose and the pace should vary widely depending on the purpose of each run.

macinalli wrote: »

Thanks Macinalli. You're not the first person to comment that there isn't great variation between my paces. I do think I will run my LSRs just a little slower.

When I try to put together my paces there were two prominent thoughts in my head: firstly so many places I've read that LSRs should be at least 45 seconds slower than race pace, secondly I'm conscious that running significantly faster than race pace when marathon training increases risk of injury. With these two thoughts I set my LSR at 8:40, 45" quicker than race pace, and I set my fastest session at a little faster than race pace 7:45. I then try place my other paces somewhere between these.

I think I'll drop LSR pace a little further out to 8:45, a full minute slower than my training race pace and 50" faster than the pace I want to run at in Cork.

I'm going to keep your comments and menoscemo's in mind though and I wouldn't be surprised if they make me revise my paces again before I start training proper.

Thanks Menoscemo. Now I'm more confused than ever!
    I think I have to ask the question: can I run a 3:30 marathon by following Hal Higdon's Intermediate II plan?

For his Intermediate Plans Higdon says the following two things:

"...I recommend that runners do their long runs anywhere from 45 to 90 seconds per mile slower than their marathon pace."

"There is no speedwork involved in the Intermediate program"

I plan on running in Cork at 7:55 pace. I had chosen a LSR pace of 8:40, that's 45" slower. I know that's right at the start of Higdon's range. I'm going to drop it down a notch to 8:45, 50" slower per mile than race pace. It just feels so very easy to run at 8:45. I really don't like the challenge of forcing myself to run even slower. I may be hanging myself on this and it will be my fault. But 20 miles at 8:45 is 2hrs55mins on my feet and I'd run a little more to bring up the 3hrs. I'd hope that three runs like this would cover my endurance needs.

The lack of speedwork in Higdon's plan is a concern. I ran 400m intervals last summer and really loved them. I used them to get ready for the Frank Duffy and the Dublin Half. I'd be more likely to run 800m intervals for a full marathon. But more than intervals I think I prefer your idea of incorporating a tempo run. I might make my Wednesday runs tempo runs. Maybe keep Higdon's mileage and just run the miles to a tempo template. I'm going to think about this one.

Your PMP LSRs are tough sessions. They are more PMP sessions than LSR sessions I think, 12 with 7 @ pmp, 14 with 10 @ pmp. I think I'd prefer to keep my LSRs exclusively LSRs and my PMPs exclusively PMPs. But how many miles do you think you should reach at pmp pace. Higdon's plan brings you to a maximum pmp run of 10 miles. Do you think this is long enough. I'm not sure. And that's why I plan on running pmps at 7:45 instead of 7:55.

So based on your advice and Macinalli's I think my draft now looks like this;

Tuesdays and Thursdays @ 8:30
    Slowing these down a little. I see these runs as runs just to keep the legs tipping over during the week.

Wednesdays @ tempo (tbc)
    I'll keep Higdon's mileage but try work them round a tempo template. Need to think about this one

Keeping this as is. I will do a little warm-up before these sessions. And I wonder should I increase Higdon's mileage.

Sundays LSR @ 8:45
    Slowing these down just a little. 50" slower than race pace. I don't think I'd enjoy running any slower than this. 20 miles at this pace will get me 3hrs on the road (I'll run a little more than 20 miles on my peak long runs) and I hope that will tick the endurance box.

thanks again for your feedback, given me lots of food for thought.

• Advertisement

A real confidence boosting run this morning. Out early again. First lap 7:48 and I just try keep up the pace. Found it easier to do than I expected. Mile three I complete in 7:20 and it didn't feel hugely difficult.

So that's the last of the three fast runs planned in this mini 9 run program: the 8:0X run I managed in 7:59, the 7:5X run in 7:46 and the 7:4X run in 7:33. I'm about 10 seconds a mile faster than where I hoped I would be :). I guess walking to and from work everyday (over 4 miles a day) helped reduce the rate I was losing fitness over these months of minimum running.

I'm definitely going to switch my Wednesday runs for Cork to tempo runs. Probably aiming for 7:30 or 7:20 miles. The first two Wednesday runs are 5 miles, so maybe 7:45/7:45/7:30/7:30/7:45. I'll decide over the weekend.

This morning's run.

M1 7:48
    M2 7:32
    M3 7:20
    M4 7:34

Total 4.33M @ 7:33

26 Jan|4.33 |7:4X| 7:33
    27 Jan| |8:3X|

Oops, slept in this morning (till 07:15!) so couldn't get my run in before work. I needed the sleep though. Sleep is good. Will try get out tomorrow morning instead. I do not want to run this weekend. I want to enjoy a runless Saturday and Sunday, if all goes according to plan the next runless weekend will be the 11/12 of June!

outforarun wrote: »

Tuesdays and Thursdays @ 8:30
    Slowing these down a little. I see these runs as runs just to keep the legs tipping over during the week.

Wednesdays @ tempo (tbc)
    I'll keep Higdon's mileage but try work them round a tempo template. Need to think about this one

Keeping this as is. I will do a little warm-up before these sessions. And I wonder should I increase Higdon's mileage.

Sundays LSR @ 8:45
    Slowing these down just a little. 50" slower than race pace. I don't think I'd enjoy running any slower than this. 20 miles at this pace will get me 3hrs on the road (I'll run a little more than 20 miles on my peak long runs) and I hope that will tick the endurance box.

That looks much better. The only criticism is that it's maybe a little heavy. You would be doing 3 big (or hard) runs a week (tempo, PMP, LSR). Most plans would only have you doing 2 tough runs a week. Your plan to do a PMP run on a saturday, followed by an LSR the next day also looks to be very tough.

Maybe Alternate your tempo runs and PMP runs on wedensdays? (do a tempo one week and a PMP the next) and throw in an extra easy run on a saturday. This also gives you a bit of variety midweek.

I am not sure to advise you on a longest PMP run. I followed P&D and the longest PMP Long run was 18 miles with 14 @PMP. You could easily replace this session however by finding a nice half marathon to race about 4 or 5 weeks out from your goal marathon.

It is also a good idea to get into the habit of speeding up for the last few miles of your LSR's. The natural tendancy is always to go out fast and slow down, but doing the opposite is great for building endurance and is also a great mental boost!!

Best of Luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    Your plan to do a PMP run on a saturday, followed by an LSR the next day also looks to be very tough.

That's the Higdon plan, I think. Instead of running PMP miles in your LSR, you do a PMP run on one day and an LSR the next. I suppose the first gets you used to marathon pace, the second gets you used to running on tired legs.

RayCun wrote: »
    That's the Higdon plan, I think. Instead of running PMP miles in your LSR, you do a PMP run on one day and an LSR the next. I suppose the first gets you used to marathon pace, the second gets you used to running on tired legs.

Fair enough, I can see the benefit in that, but it may be tough if there is a tempo included mid week (HH doesn't have that right?). Sorry for confusing matters Outforarun :o. I am just such a P&D fanboy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    Fair enough, I can see the benefit in that, but it may be tough if there is a tempo included mid week (HH doesn't have that right?).

Yeah, the intermediate plan seems to be like Novice2, in that the fastest run you do is your PMP run, everything else is at an easier pace. I wouldn't be inclined to mix and match training plans myself, unless I was really sure what I was doing. If you go with the mileage of the Higdon plan, dropping in extra speed sessions might break you.

RayCun wrote: »
    the fastest run you do is your PMP run, everything else is at an easier pace.

There's the rub. I think his Advanced plans have speedwork but these are over 6 days and mean having to find hills and a suitable place to do intervals. Right now I'm doing well to manage 5 runs a week.

I definitely want to get runs in that are faster than PMP. I followed Higdon's Intermediate I last year and I was really grand with running PMPs on Saturday and with running LSRs on Sunday. I'm not worried about that. Yes I see the risk in adding a tempo run on Wednesday, but who am I kidding, I have to give it a try. Three big days a week yes, but there's four other days when I'm either not running or running slowly over short distances.

Menoscemo, good idea about alternating tempo with PMP on Wednesday. I'm going to try tempo on Wednesday and PMP on Saturday. If I find it's tough then I'll try your suggestion.

Looking forward to next Tuesday.

Ok finished my 9 run marathon warm-up this morning. So next planned run is for next Tuesday morning, session 1 of Cork 2011. Cold today. Took the legs some time to warm-up and wake-up. Spending my running time thinking about Wednesday runs, tempo or not tempo, what kind of tempo. Now I'm thinking the first two 5 mile Wednesday runs should be 8:00/7:45/7:30/7:30/8:00.

Anyway, this morning's run.

M1 8:43
    M2 8:45
    M3 8:13
    M4 8:07

Total 4.29M @ 8:29

26 Jan|4.33 |7:4X| 7:33
    28 Jan|4.29 |8:3X| 8:29

I have a cyst in my knee :eek:

Yip, the MRI results are in. I have a 3cm cyst in my right knee. Thankfully the radiologist sees nothing to indicate that there is anything sinister about the cyst.

The sports physician at Santry said she's seen lots of these and she says it is nothing to be worried about. She thinks it probably can be aspirated (drained). a 15 minute procedure under local. I ask if I can continue to run while waiting for the procedure. And I tell her that I've been running over the last 2 weeks and feel improvement and haven't really had that unsettling popping sensation.

I assumed it would have to be aspirated but she said well if I feel improvement and it's not bothering me I can continue to run and wait and see if it heals itself, which apparently these cysts can do. She insisted that I do extra stretching, concentrating on the quads, anything that helps take pressure off the cyst.

Ok then, I'll just monitor it over the next month or so. If it continues to improve great, if it continues to niggle then I'll have it drained.

As to what caused it, it's hard to say. Can be just general 'wear-and-tear'. My ligaments are fine. bone structure is fine and cartilage is fine.

I knew there wasn't something right with my knee, but I would never have guessed cyst. Right knee actually feels a little tender tis evening, have it under ice as I type.

Right, what's on tv?

Ok I think I have my paces finalized.

Tuesdays and Thursdays [Recovery / Easy @ 8:35]
    Slowing these a little further. No need for added strain during the weekdays.

Wednesdays [Tempo @ 7:30 peak tempo]
    Weeks 1 and 2 are 5 milers, so 8:30/8:00/7:30/7:30/8:00

Saturdays [PMP @ 7:45]
    Even though I expect to drop to 7:55 on race day.

Sundays [LSR @ 8:45]
    One minute slower than my training PMP.

• Advertisement

Week 1 Session 1 [Target Easy 3M @ 8:35]

Auspicious start. I'm about 200 yards into mile one of 18 planned weeks of training when a car pulls up and asks for ..... the Cork Road! I give directions and continue on my own road to Cork. 3 miles easy. After the 4M+ early runs last week it was easy to get up this morning to tackle just 3 miles. Paced well on effort.

Feels good to have started proper.

M1 8:51
    M2 8:17
    M3 8:26

Total 3.02M @ 8:31

Week 1 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Easy 3M @ 8:35|3.02|8:31
    Tempo 5M with 2M @ 7:30||
    Easy 3M @ 8:35||
    PMP 5M @ 7:45||
    LSR 10M @ 8:45||

Week 1 Session 2 [Tempo 5M with 2M @ 7:30]

My first ever tempo session. Not too easy to face into a tempo at 7 in the morning. The template I wanted to try follow over the 5 miles was: 8:30/8:00/7:30/7:30/8:00.

First two miles are fine, third mile I'm determined to hit 7:30, too determined and I log a 7:16. The fourth mile is tough and I'm watching the Garmin creep towards 4.00, log a 7:32. Amazing how easy 8:00 pace feels when dropping down from 2 miles at 7:24. Good work out. Knee gave a pop or two in the afternoon but it's fine now. If it stays like this I can live with it fine, I'll make a call at the end of February.

M1 8:49
    M2 8:01
    M3 7:16
    M4 7:32
    M5 8:09

Total 5.05M @ 7:58

Tempo 5M with 2M @ 7:30|5.05|7:58 with 2M @ 7:24

Tough to get up and out this morning. Mild but some heavy gusts of wind. Apart from some slightly stiff calf muscles on mile one this run was exactly what an easy run should be, easy. Just about worked up a sweat.

Today's run will be my last early morning run for a while. We've a relation visiting for the best part of two weeks, which means next week I'll be able to get out in the evenings after work. Rest up now till Saturday. I'm loking forwrad to the weekend's running even if I'm a bit anxious already about my first proper PMP.

M1 8:41
    M2 8:25
    M3 8:24

Total 3.01M @ 8:30

Easy 3M @ 8:35|3.01|8:30

My Saturday PMP runs are the ones that I will pay most attention to, looking for signs of improvement from week to week. Out before 9 this morning and a 1.22 mile warm-up @ 9:47 pace across to Phoenix. I usually run my favorite loop 50/50 between trail and footpath. This morning though it was very muddy and slippy so I ran the whole loop on paths.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/66758325

Miles one and two are uphill so I don't expect to hit 7:45. Mile one is 7:50 (+5"), quite a few runners out this morning. Mile two is 7:54 (+14"). Turn down Ordnance road happy to be onto a flatter mile. Mile three 7:47 (+16"). My favorite part of the loop is the run down to Chapelizod Gate turn up towards the S-bends, a little surprised to see 7:47 (+18") felt it was a quicker mile. Pick up the pace a little, I want to log at least one mile under 7:45. Mile five is a 7:33 (+6"). Keep running to complete my loop, 5.23 miles @ 7:46 pace. The frst two miles felt tough enough, but after that it wasn't too tiring, though I'd say 8 miles at this pace would be tops right now, maybe even less than 8 miles.

This evening knee is not sore, but I can feel the cyst alright. Strange sensation. But I'm more relaxed now that I know what it is, I used to think it was a tendon/muscle/ligament that wasn't sitting properly. Glad I had it checked out.

M1 7:50
    M2 7:54
    M3 7:47
    M4 7:47
    M5 7:33

Total 5.23M @ 7:46

PMP 5M @ 7:45|5.23|7:46

Spent a lot of time this week wondering if I should try run even slower on my LSRs. Was thinking about dropping from 8:45 to 8:50 or 8:55 pace. Decided I'd run as planned to 8:45 pace and just see how it felt.

Ran over to Phoenix, did the same loop as yesterday, did a loop of Kyber and then ran home logging 10.26 miles.

Early miles running up Chesterfield with what must have been gale force crosswinds had me thinking that maybe 8:45 was a bit too fast. Not happy to turn directly into the wind on Ordnance Road. But then after that I had to hold back and try run slower, logged two 8:37s before reaching the S-bends. Slow down. Felt effortless now, could easily hold a conversation, breathing was fine. Legs felt ok, the tiniest bit tired after the weeks running. Didn't push at all going back up Chesterfield and posted a 9 minute mile on mile seven. Once I'd turned back down Kyber I was conciously putting the brakes on for the rest of the run. Completed 10.26 miles in 8:44 pace. I'm going to stick with 8:45 for LSRs.

So that's week one completed. My first 5-run week and my first double-digit run of the year.

Total mileage for the week: 27.79 (includes 1.22 miles of warm-up)

This morning:
    M01 8:43
    M02 8:56
    M03 8:41
    M04 8:37
    M05 8:37
    M06 8:50
    M07 9:00
    M08 8:30
    M09 8:40
    M10 8:43

Total 10.26M @ 8:44

PMP 5M @ 7:45|5.23|7:46
    LSR 10M @ 8:45|10.26| 8:44

Had a pass to go for pints after work yesterday so decided I'd get my run done in the morning. It was cold out. I grabbed my shoes from outside and though yeah it's cold but I won't need gloves. Mistake. Numb fingertips after about half a mile. Legs felt heavy and my pacing was all over the shop. Aiming for 8:35s and mile 2 logs at 8:11. It's easier to settle into a constant pace on the longer runs. Anyway slap on the wrist for me :mad: I ran too fast with an 8:26 average.

Pints were good :).

M1 8:41
    M2 8:11
    M3 8:26

Total 3.01M @ 8:26

Was not looking forward to this evening's run. Calf muscles felt stiff every time I got up from my seat at work. Walked home at a brisk enough pace to help warm them up. Straight into the gear and out the door. Legs felt surprisingly and thankfully nimble right from the go.

Tried to more or less follow the same template as last week, 8:30/8:00/7:30/7:30/8:00.

First mile was 8:27 and it felt easy. Mile two was a little more off target at 8:16. Then a carbon copy of last week's first tempo pace mile, 7:16. There's a long gradual downhill through most of this mile so that must be accounting for the speed on this one. Again the second tempo mile was tougher but I hasn't willing the Garmin to sound the end of the mile as much as I was last week; 7:28 and a busy pair of lungs. Drop the pace, catch my breath back and finish 5.08 miles in 7:57 average. Tempo pace miles still too quick at 7:22 average.

M1 8:27
    M2 8:16
    M3 7:16
    M4 7:28
    M5 8:13

Total 5.08M @ 7:57

Week 2 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Easy 3M @ 8:35|3.01|8:26
    Tempo 5M with 2M @ 7:30|5.08|7:57 with 2M @ 7:22
    LSR 11M @ 8:45||

After two days of running a little faster than planned I was determined to keep the pace down tonight. I did just that. Felt a bit heavy I assume I was feeling some of last night's tempo exertions.

Once again I find myself thinking about paces, should I go a little slower on easy and LSR runs? Part of me says that if I'm asking that question then the answer must be yes. Then another part of me says that my easy runs do feel easy and that my LSRs are spent mostly trying to keep the speed down without feeling tired at all. I'll keep the option of revising paces open but I do think I'll stick to existing paces until the end of February. Then I'll see.

M1 8:40
    M2 8:46
    M3 8:37

Total 3.01M @ 8:41

Easy 3M @ 8:35|3.01|8:41

OCD alert :o

Ok, can't shake my doubts about pacing. So on my training plan I've added a formula to calculate the percentage of target pace I achieve. I've added a tolerance and if my final pace falls within this tolerance then I'm noting the session as a success :).

For my easy runs and my LSRs I'm allowing myself to run between 99% and 101.5% of target pace, this means that on an easy run while target is 8:35 anything from 8:30 to 8:42 is a successful session, on an LSR run with target 8:45 anything from 8:40 to 8:52 is a successful session. Gives me a bit of freedom to run slower and not religiously stick to exact target pace.

For my PMP and tempo runs any pace between 98.5% and 101% is logged as a successful run. So for a 7:30 tempo, anywhere from 7:24 to 7:34 is good, for a 7:45 PMP anywhere from 7:39 to 7:49 is good.

Two encouraging signs of improvement this morning. The first mile up Chesterfield I run at what felt like the same effort as the first mile up Chesterfield last week, so I was pretty surprised when the Garmin logged mile 1 at 7:25. Eased off the pace.

The second encouraging sign is that I daydreamed past the turn-off for Ordnance Road running 20 odd meters further up Chesterfield so I certainly wasn't as anxious as last week for the mile 2 incline to end.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67805589

Enjoyed the sun on the back miles and kept the pace very regular. Best session so far this year I think. Feeling good now as I type.

(Warm-up 1.26M @ 9:37)

M1 7:25
    M2 7:47
    M3 7:44
    M4 7:48
    M5 7:48

Total 5.29M @ 7:43

Easy 3M @ 8:35|3.01|8:41
    PMP 5M @ 7:45|5.29|7:43

• Advertisement

On mile 9 I merged for about 400ms or so with the Cupid Dash and a little bit of race adrenaline disturbed an otherwise well paced LSR.

The first three miles were as usual all about warming up and eliminating any stiffness from during the week. Had to run on the spot along Ordnance to allow a dozen deer cross my path. Really enjoying the mostly sunny conditions. Finished my usual loop then had to divert away from Kyber on my second shorter loop because of the Cupid Dash.

I love that feeling after 8 or so miles when you're well into a run, feeling good, enjoying the scenery and the weather and feel you could keep tipping along for the rest of the day. Ran along the path by the football pitches and down by the fort. Merged with the Dash for about 400ms and I couldn't help but pick up the pace a little. Tagged on a run through the Royal Hospital Grounds and completed 11.16 miles. Average pace 8:43 exactly one minute slower than yesterday's PMP.

Week two total mileage 28.80.

M01 8:47
    M02 8:41
    M03 8:35
    M04 8:37
    M05 8:51
    M06 8:46
    M07 8:49
    M08 8:38
    M09 8:28
    M10 8:47
    M11 8:53