Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards [Airsoft] advert fraud...

• 27-01-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

Hey all just need a bit of advice in relation to this....

I completed a deal on the advert section of boards last month....i dealt with the person before and no hassale...

This however is different.....he refuse to return my calls, answer my pm....i have notifiied the mods about this, but im wondering what i can do to get my money back.....it was done by bank transfer...
    I the the address of the guy but i want to sort this peacefully before it gets messy....

any advice would be appretiated...

DP

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I assume private seller which means not much...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I the the address of the guy but i want to sort this peacefully before it gets messy....

Peacefully?
    Are you suggesting voilence, because if you are I'd suggest you stop right now.

Given its likely a private sale alot of consumer rights simply do not cover you,

He's not returning your calls but you haven't actually said what the issue is,
    - have you simply won the item and he's refusing to talk to you?
    - Have you paid for the item and not receievd it?
    - Have you received it and its not as discribed or not working?

For people to be able to assist you they'll need more info

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Is there not a specific adverts support forum? As previous posters said this is not really a consumer issue per se as you did not purchase from a company etc. I'd phone the gardai as it sounds like fraud.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

slave1 wrote: »
    I'd phone the gardai as it sounds like fraud.

as the OP has given zero details of the dispute, this is ridiculous advice and the gardai would tell you to piss off.

so until the op give even some basic details about the dispute, no-one can give any advice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

slave1 wrote: »
    I'd phone the gardai as it sounds like fraud.

Its a civil matter, don't waste Gardai time with such nonsense
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since you've already been in touch with Adverts' mods, I assume you are now trying to see if there's any way to get your money back without forum support (and since Adverts never handles the money, there's nothing they can do to get your money back anyway).

As a private sale, you have very few options. First would be to sort it out face to face, go and see the seller. This could be a very bad idea, as you've no idea what you'd be walking into. The next is to use a solicitor, and bring him to court. This could be expensive, and outweigh the cost of the money you've lost.

Those are about your only two options. The Gardai cannot help, as this is a civil matter, hence you need a solicitor and to bring him to court. The bank cannot help either, as you willingly parted with the money, and they cannot reverse a transfer to someone else's account without their permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Darth Phoenix

Cabaal wrote: »
    Peacefully?

He's not returning your calls but you haven't actually said what the issue is,
    - have you simply won the item and he's refusing to talk to you?
    - Have you paid for the item and not receievd it?
    - Have you received it and its not as discribed or not working?

For people to be able to assist you they'll need more info

Apologies, i should have being more clear.

Once i had the money transfered, the seller said he post it and nothing since..

From the sounds of the response have i posted this in the wrong section, cos all i wanted was advice on what to do from here, thats all.....

jor el wrote: »
    Since you've already been in touch with Adverts' mods, I assume you are now trying to see if there's any way to get your money back without forum support (and since Adverts never handles the money, there's nothing they can do to get your money back anyway).

As a private sale, you have very few options. First would be to sort it out face to face, go and see the seller. This could be a very bad idea, as you've no idea what you'd be walking into. The next is to use a solicitor, and bring him to court. This could be expensive, and outweigh the cost of the money you've lost.

Those are about your only two options. The Gardai cannot help, as this is a civil matter, hence you need a solicitor and to bring him to court. The bank cannot help either, as you willingly parted with the money, and they cannot reverse a transfer to someone else's account without their permission.

Thank you Jor El,

Thats made it much more clearer for me....thank you for explaining it to me..

Regards,

DP

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Perhaps the seller has been unable to post your item or respond to your queries.
    They could be in hospital or abroad or have suffered a family issue which has impacted on their ability to finish the deal.

Have you had any contact/response ?
    How long have you been waiting ?
    Have they been active on boards since last contact ?
    Maybe they lost their phone/number ?

rgfuller wrote: »
    Perhaps the seller has been unable to post your item or respond to your queries.
    They could be in hospital or abroad or have suffered a family issue which has impacted on their ability to finish the deal.

Have you had any contact/response ?
    How long have you been waiting ?
    Have they been active on boards since last contact ?
    Maybe they lost their phone/number ?

No contact since he said he post it,
    Being waiting 3 weeks since that phone call,
    Not actice since before xmas but phone call rules that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Adverts.ie Support

dudara

• Company Representative Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Adverts.ie: Eddie

Thanks dudara,

I think I'll have to move this back as it is airsoft adverts which fall under the remit of boards.

/edit

Moved to airsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Hey all just need a bit of advice in relation to this....

I completed a deal on the advert section of boards last month....i dealt with the person before and no hassale...

This however is different.....he refuse to return my calls, answer my pm....i have notifiied the mods about this, but im wondering what i can do to get my money back.....it was done by bank transfer...

any advice would be appretiated...

DP
    Is there any indication on the other sub-forums that the vendor is friendly with other users or plays on a particular site. An approach that way might yeild information that would be useful.

Name and Shame here is another option but probably counter productive.

A registered letter to him/her advising of impending legal action would allow you to find out if the person is still at the address you have and may jolt them into responding
    Good luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

if you paid via paypal, they have a system set up i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Yeah you can start an item dispute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

No contact since he said he post it,
    Being waiting 3 weeks since that phone call,
    Not actice since before xmas but phone call rules that out.

Have you looked into using the small claims court to retrieve your cash?

I'm not to sure on the in's and out's of the small claim system, but I know you don't need a solicitor etc to present the case for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

do you know this person?
    if so try one more phone call and leave it at that. send a letter outlining that you are beginning legal action in the small claims courts and action can be avoided by return of the money or postal of the goods. If you do not hear anything else speak to a solicitor who can give you more details on how to begin proceedings within the small claims courts. however i must point out this may take several months
    Good luck and also i am a fan of the name and shame if i was selling something i would sent a pm if i couldn't post and three weeks is not a reasonable amount of time to have to wait for a reply. its taking the mickey. if i were you i would take legal action and name and shame.

just thought of something else. was the item an aeg? it hardly was seized by an post if they thought it was a real gun. just a thought don't shoot me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Or considering alot of people here know each other, maybe linking the post in question could

1) Get you an answer if there is a pressing issue with the user
    2) Get some feedback from people who have dealt with previously
    3) Warn others of the trouble

For example I completed a sale last week tih a guy from here for my Scar. but with work and other things it was tough to get around to delivering the package, there isn't really a psot office near by.

Eventually had to get my father to do it for me, but then again atleast I was keeping in contact with the buyer and being apologetic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This has already been discussed via PM, the user in question has since been sitebanned (which, unfortunately from boards perspective, is all we can do) but that still hasn't gotten a reply.

Darth, as you have his address, go to the guards about this. As you said in the PM, you have proof of delivery for your end of the deal.

The only other thing I can advise is to have a look in the user feedback thread here - there is at least one person here who has dealt with them previously and might have the info you were looking for ;).

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your advice, it is really appretiated :).

I will definatly take it above board and definatly pursue this from the advice given. Will definatly try to ring the person in question tomarrow and see if it can be resolved.

My thanks again for your advice..

DP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Perhaps the mods could keep an eye on the issue also? Its not an issue we as users and I am sure the mods want happen on adverts with any form of regularity. Perhaps note the IP the user in question was using in order to make sure he doesnt create a new account and attempt it again?

Bearing in mind that is IF the issue isnt resolved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

hightower1 wrote: »
    Perhaps the mods could keep an eye on the issue also? Its not an issue we as users and I am sure the mods want happen on adverts with any form of regularity. Perhaps note the IP the user in question was using in order to make sure he doesnt create a new account and attempt it again?

Bearing in mind that is IF the issue isnt resolved.
    Believe me, the mods spend a lot of time looking out for this very thing.

We don't have access to personal information on users such as email addresses / IP addresses (only admins do) but we have other tools that let us cross check and find re-reg accounts so we can request admin checks on them.

i think this is a big lesson to all who use adverts to purchase and sell. i for one only collect items and deliver cash personally and if i can't i try and find a similar product elsewhere.

i hope the op gets this dealt with. defo go to the gardai. i just thought of something else too. boards will act as a written contract as the gardai can just log on and see it for themselves and get a transcript. hence this is technically stealing as there was no goods delivered. and you can prove that payment wass made. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    i think this is a big lesson to all who use adverts to purchase and sell. i for one only collect items and deliver cash personally and if i can't i try and find a similar product elsewhere.

Personally speaking I think its good rule of thumb to check the sellers profile if doing a post transation. Request registered post also.
    All my adverts dealings have been done via post bar one and havent had ay major issues just a drop of common sense will do ya right on adverts I find.

I also send everything through reg post , it just helps build good rep and I know is apprechiated by the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You shouldn't have paid by bank transfer. Full stop. Its not a secure way to pay as you have zero come back. PayPal or face to face.

Have you checked the address is real? There are ways to check that sort of info. If its not real, you should close the book and let it go. You'll have little luck I'd say tracing the phone number or bank details.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Guys will be honest here! The person Darth is talking about is me and I dont want a bad rep on here! My father died and this has been the least of my worries, there was a mess up at the post office since I sent it and Im trying to rectify it!
    Apologies to Darth and to Mods for the hassle caused, Im sure you understand it wasnt a really primary concern considering the circumstances!

Again apologies and I hope this hasnt left me in bad standing with anyone!

WM, my deepest sympathies on the loss of your father, in light of that it's totally understandable that you weren't in a position to reply.

I hope you will find time to eventually sort this out but family matters must come first. :)

As to my comment earlier about "the user in question has since been sitebanned". I was confusing this thread with another identical matter that was going on simultaneously - apologies to all for that and any confusion it may have caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Can I ask if this issue has been resolved,
    Has War Machine made contact with Darth Phoenix and resolved the issue/dispute ???
    I believe both myself and a lot of other members of this forum would be very interested in the answer

• Advertisement

DeBurca wrote: »
    Can I ask if this issue has been resolved,
    Has War Machine made contact with Darth Phoenix and resolved the issue/dispute ???
    I believe both myself and a lot of other members of this forum would be very interested in the answer

I havent had contact with warmachine for 2 weeks, being trying to ring him since and he hasnt answered his phone....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70447926&postcount=11034

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70470345&postcount=11038

I have no idea why he hasnt answered his phone or hasn't return my calls or replied to my pm's.

I'm really hoping to to get this resolved soon..

Advertisement