Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k thread

• 10-01-2011 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

The famous couch to 5k training plan. Are you doing it? Which version? Which week are you on? Have you picked out a goal race yet?
    Post below...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Yes, I started the Couch 2 5k today :D:D:D (you can see I'm well proud)

I'm a S.A.H.M., never really ran before, but always active and do alot of walking.

I like this plan, I can do it as it suits, not tied to specific days and times. The open road suits me! No goals as yet other than to complete the plan, if I can do that, I will definitely take it further.

Any1 else starting out new on this like me, willing to swap notes, give advice ??

meant to say I'm doing the cool runnings Counch-to-5K Running Plan. Attempted to download the podcast as suggested in another thread, but that didn't work out for me, so I used a stop watch instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Did this last April.
    Highly recommend it. Theres plenty of "support threads" on here from people who started it recently.
    I used the music from here, downloaded to phone:
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

Worked for me and I didnt find the music too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Best of luck with c25k. I did it last May and it works!
    I used chubbyjones podcast http://chubbyjones.libsyn.com/. Had to use version 2 of the podcasts for my ipod, but couldn't have done it without them. Looking forward to hearing all about your progress. :)

thanks guys, will check out that podcast Maria, would be a help not to be looking at the time every minute:)

Are you still running Maria curious did you keep it up, did you progress to competitions ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

thanks guys, will check out that podcast Maria, would be a help not to be looking at the time every minute:)

Are you still running Maria curious did you keep it up, did you progress to competitions ??

Yep, thats the handy thing with the podcasts, basicilly a 30 minute track broken up into intervals of slower then faster tempo music with audible queues of when to stop/start, as well as some warm up time on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Rorkimaru

I'm starting c25k tomorrow. Nice to see that a support thread has been set up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

I had planned starting today, but still haven't shook a head cold/chest infection. Done the c5k in the summer, found it a great way to get up and going. Must stay at it this time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toyoung

I started the couch to 5k, last march gave it up in june.
    I started it again at the start of the month and I am up to 20min's already.
    I am planing on running the Raheny 5 miles at the end of the month.

bye

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

With the couch25k plan don't worry if you need to repeat weeks or anything like that just do your best to stick to it, I started in in February 2010 and it almost kill me the first time it told me to run for 90sec non-stop however three weeks back I ran 15miles for the first time.

5k may seem like a long distance at first but its all perfectly do-able and if you stick to it 5k will be viewed as a short run in a few months time :) (I didn't think this would happen either)

Another thing to remember is starting off if you can't talk/hold a conversation when your running then your running too fast, slow down and as time goes by your speed will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

did my first 30 mins of c25k last night in Phoenix park and feeling good. Have to concentrate on diet now though. Really enjoyed it..............

frAg

• Advertisement

Rorkimaru wrote: »
    I'm starting c25k tomorrow. Nice to see that a support thread has been set up!
    Let m know how you got on. My legs aren't as bad as I thought they would be today after Day 1 Week 1, a little sore. Not looking forward though to Day 2 tmo if they are still sore.

Am I right in running on tired legs?? Or, should I wait another day ?

Had no luck downloading the podcast either the chubby one (?)... computer froze on me:( Will have to try again see if I can manage it.

Encouraging words from every1 else, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Here's a post I made on the Couch to 5K thread on the Food Diary forum a few weeks ago. I guess it might be useful here too...

So I thought I'd just write up my own experience of the programme and hopefully, if you are finding it hard at times, this might just get you out of that slump.

When I started Couch to 5K, I'd been doing a lot of walking in the previous 4-5 weeks. So when it came to Week 1 of Couch to 5K, I found the 60 second jog's ok-ish. They were not super easy but I wasn't completely exhausted like I had expected I would be.

This soon changed though when I began Week 2. It consisted of 90 second jogs and 2 minutes walking if I remember correctly. Suddenly the 60 second jogs seemed easy compared to the 90 second jogs and this was a trend I noticed for several weeks after starting the programme - the previous week's workout which seemed so hard at the time, was now quite easy.

I got to week 4 which I think had 5 minute jogs and I have to admit, this was when I hit rock bottom with the programme. I was barely, barely, barely able to jog for 5 minutes and I'd get so upset and frustrated at the end of each 5 minute jog that I felt like giving up. As I'd be doing the recovery walks between the jogging I'd be thinking to myself "This is a waste of time, I'm never going to be able to jog for 20 minutes, or 30 minutes or whatever. It's impossible, I can't do it, I don't know how anyone else can either".

These were the types of thoughts that were running through my head at the time.

So with a heavy heart and even heavier legs, I completed Week 4 and I could fool myself no longer, I wasn't ready to move onto week 5. Until that point I hadn't repeated a week even though if I'm completely honest, I didn't always feel ready to move onto the next week's schedule. However this time I'd gone as far as I could go.

I was barely able to jog for 5 minutes, even after Day 3 of Week 4 and seeing week 5 consisted of 8 minute jogs, I knew I was simply not ready to do it. That wasn't me being negative, it was me being realistic. It was a bridge too far for me.

So I went back and began week 4 all over again. I felt a little disappointed in myself that I had to go back and repeat a week. I guess part of it was shame that I'd let myself get so unfit and overweight that I had to repeat a week rather than moving forward.

But something amazing happened then during week 4! I completed Day 1, it went ok. I then completed Day 2 and I don't know what happened but I just felt like I'd broken through some barrier that was holding me back. I think I might have jogged slightly slower or something, I'm not quite sure. But it's accurate to say that repeating week 4 saved me from packing the whole thing in.

After that repeat of Week 4 Day 2, I KNEW I could do the 8 minute jogs. I just knew it. So I waited and went out and began Week 5 a couple of days later. And I didn't look back after that.

Now, don't for a second think I'm some gifted athlete or I have some special ability to run, because I'm not and I don't. I run very, very slowly and not very gracefully. I'd be one of the slowest people around, but I can now do 7K non-stop. I could do a longer distance than 7K, although I would need to add in some energy drink or something as I can occasionally feel myself getting hungry when I run.

There will be bad times when you are running. Times when you're just not enjoying it. It will feel like a hard slog with little or no reward for it. During those times, I say just put your head down, try to think about something else and crank out the workout anyway.

The positive side is that you get to experience something I like to call the "Euphoria Workouts". This is when you start to run and something amazing happens. You start to feel good. And I mean really good. You feel like you have limitless energy and speed.

There are times when it happens to me and I almost feel a little emotional or something and I feel the wind washing over my face and I have this gentle voice in my head saying "Faster, faster, faster..." And I keep going faster. It truly is amazing and once you experience it, you will always want to recreate it. It's hard to forget about those workouts but it's easy not to think of them when you are going through the hard slog.

So if you are feeling depressed and demotivated and feel like giving up, just stick with it.

Usually when you hit rock bottom, that's when you bounce back up.

[HTML][/HTML]

Am still running..signed up for Connemara Half Marathon in April!!:eek:...that is me who is still amazed !! There are a few of us on here who started out doing c25k and we are still running. [HTML][/HTML]

Sorry you couldn't download the podcasts I found them great. Keep at the running and you will amaze yourself too. As others have said just go really slow and dont be afraid to repeat days/weeks if needed. It really is not a race. Looking forward to hearing all your progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I didn't use Podcasts on Couch to 5K initially but instead I use an App from the iTunes app store called Couch to 5K by Alex Stankovic, although I think it might be listed as Bluefin software now possibly.

Anyway it would let me listen to my own music and would give me audio prompts about when to walk, run, warm-up and cooldown etc. Useful for those who like their own music to listen along to. It does cost money though, I think its about €2.39.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Eager_Beaver

Starting the programme tonight, in the next hour :rolleyes:
    Thread like this will be really helpful, ill post again when i collapse post-run!

Are the downloads any good?

Best of luck. And enjoy the big smile and pat on back you can give yourself at end!:)

Maria, went on to that link you gave! is there any link to music for the first week? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

I started on this 4 years ago, lost 3 stone and since have completed 3 marathons. I would like to endorse what grandmaster said about repeating a week. If you feel you are not up to going up its better to repeat a week then to move up fail and give up totally.

Best of luck to all new c25k, stick with it because if you do, the rewards are unbelievable.

ger

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Are the downloads any good?

I liked the Robert Ullrey podcasts, but I seem to be in a minority...

[HTML][/HTML]
    Maria, went on to that link you gave! is there any link to music for the first week? ;)

The podcast has music in it (and the prompts to run/walk)

• Advertisement

Just back from first run. Absolutely loved it,but didnt realise quite how unfit i was! Great feeling afterwards though!

Maria, used the podcasts, but the music is very dance/house orientated. Anyone know of any others that have more variance is music type?

Cheers
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭pokermonkey

Great Thread Ray!

Just started about 10 days ago. Skipped straight to week 4 as I had been doing some sort of exercise in previous week. Actually, I skipped cause I'm too impatient, but don't tell anyone! My next run (week 5.3) is 2 miles non-stop. I'm feeling a little anxious about it but I'm confident having done the last 5 runs.

C25K is a great program. I was running with a friend of mine today who's new to running and he's far too gun-ho! He has no structured plan so he raced off, stopped, raced off, stopped etc. I had great satisfaction in passing him at around 1.7 miles and leaving him behind :D I did a few runs before with no proper training and ended up injuring myself. I won't make the same mistake again.

To the newbies (like me) stick with it. So far so good for me, and the good people of boards are great motivators, very friendly, helpful and ridiculously good looking of course!;)

Best of luck to you all - keep at it!

well, online c25K friends, how are you all today ?

I've just done "day 2 of week 1" in the pouring rain :eek:
    Survived it okay, legs were still sore from DAy 1 but anyway got on with it, it's fine once you start moving. Managed to download the Robert Ullrey podcast and found it really helpful. Arrived home soaked through, so much for using the GHD this morning:D Need to get more organised with time etc. Looking forward to Day 3, not looking forward to tmo, know I'll be i pain.

Well done on getting out there. You'll get used to the rain eventually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

well, online c25K friends, how are you all today ?

I've just done "day 2 of week 1" in the pouring rain :eek:
    Survived it okay, legs were still sore from DAy 1 but anyway got on with it, it's fine once you start moving. Managed to download the Robert Ullrey podcast and found it really helpful. Arrived home soaked through, so much for using the GHD this morning:D Need to get more organised with time etc. Looking forward to Day 3, not looking forward to tmo, know I'll be i pain.

Im doing week 1 day 2 this eve. cant wait to get out there.................

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I started this evening, in the rain! Have to say I feel great and very motivated. I started feeling dip around the 5th/6th run but kept at it. Will be out again on Friday! The music was grand and the lady's voice is nice. I'm doing the NHS one, it was the first one to come up on iTunes.

RayCun wrote: »
    Well done on getting out there. You'll get used to the rain eventually :D

Strangely, running in the rain doesn't bother me (I love the outdoors), once I know I have time for a shower after :D

What is the best gear to wear in the rain ?? I ran with baseball hat,
    t-shirt, micro-fleece hoodie & cuffed track pants ??

If that outfit worked for you, stick with it for now.

You may find - if the rain is heavier, or you're out for longer, or running faster - that those materials will chafe your skin. And they'll start to get pretty hot too.

There's some stuff about running gear here

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

Is anybody doing c25k in a gym? Or where do people run if the live in the sticks? I joined a gym and have started the program on a treadmill. Would prefer to be outside but figure I can do that in the summer. I just want to start before I give myself any more reasons not to. I am finding week 1 hard and am surprised and disappointed with how much I let my fitness go.

• Advertisement

We're all finding it hard, but it'll be worth it!:D

Raycun,could you suggest a 5k for in and around paddys day??

Advertisement