Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Bishop is not funny.

• 08-01-2011 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Arrogant yes, self absorbed yes, annoying yes, predictable yes, but not funny, he is like an American Brendan O'Carroll.

Is Des Bishop funny? 62 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    100% 62 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Thank god somebody else noticed this he's crap to say the least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He's ok, funny enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Yes!! He actually p*sses me off. I was watching some stand-up of his on tv the other day and he just came across as a arrogant tool:mad:

Maybe its because of the American accent but when he mocks ireland its just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Watch jim jefferies he's f**king brilliant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

mixed up wrote: »
    Watch jim jefferies he's f**king brilliant.

Quite funny live too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

1. "Please, have pity on me, I'm just a poor American boy who came here when I was just 14 years old and I found it terrible hard to fit in."
    2. "In the States you have this ... in Ireland you get that."
    3. *Joke that was quite funny then but kinda old now*
    4. Repeat the same old tripe for a few years.
    5. "Tá mé ag talkáil in Irish"
    6. ??????
    7. PROFIT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Caitlinn

Yeah, if he's on TV anymore I switch over. I think he's played out his shtick a bit too long. Just find him annoying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I'm usually pretty open to other peoples comic tastes that I don't personally find palatable but Des is just horrible. He looks like he is playing himself in the biopic of a failing comedian. His voice alone wont allow me to listen to him. He belongs in the back of a pub.

Complete garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

very hard to come across comedians that everybody likes.

never found cooper funny or many other "classics"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

No, he really isn't funny at all.

Though I do respect the work he has done with the Irish language, and Abrakebabra.

He is also the proud owner of one testicle. Fair play to him.

But yeah, not funny. Sorry Des.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Des Bishop was faintly amusing when he was new on the comedy scene here... when? About nigh on 10 years ago now? Since then he's recycled the same old gags about being a yank adjusting to and observing Irish life.

It's old and tired now and he hasn't evolved or developed his act. He's getting embarrassing to watch now. He's also arrogant and reminds me of a tosser I went to school with years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Bishop in a nutshell:

"Hi, I was born in America, raised in Ireland."

"Woah, different cultures!"

*applause*

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

Hes boring alright. Check out Steve hughes on you tube...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Arrogant yes, self absorbed yes, annoying yes, predictable yes, but not funny, he is like an American Brendan O'Carroll.

Not a fan but Brendan O'Carroll comparison is harsh.
    It'd be harsh on most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The-Rigger wrote: »

Brendan O'Carroll:
    1. "Show us your wobbly bits!"
    2. Repeat over 9,000 times.
    3. ????
    4. PROFIT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

They do have a few things in common, they are both cringeingly unfunny and they both rehash and reuse the same material over and over again. How anyone can pay money to see Des Bishop is beyond me, I am not hating on the man, that is just how I (and a lot of other people) see it.

Brendan O'Carroll

1. Show us your wobbly bits.
    2. Repeat over 9,000 times.
    3. Become a geriatric transvestite.
    4. Pretend it's for comedic reasons.
    5. Make old people lol because the most hilarious thing in the world to them as a man dressed up as a woman, let alone an old one.
    5. Profit.
    6. ?!?!?

They do have a few things in common, they are both cringeingly unfunny and they both rehash and reuse the same material over and over again. How anyone can pay money to see Des Bishop is beyond me, I am not hating on the man, that is just how I (and a lot of other people) see it.

They are both comedi....
    They are both humans.

Brendan O'Carroll is vile.

1. "Tá mé ag talkáil in Irish"

I think the only reason he learned Irish was to act superior.

3. Become a geriatric transvestite.

I always wondered about O'Carroll and the tranny thing, he enjoys it a little too much.

Other comedians on my unfunny list;
    Ed Byrne.
    PJ Gallagher.
    Niel Delemare.
    Dermot Whelan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Where's the "He has his moments" option?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

My thoughts exactly,he was Ray D'Arcy a while ago,(just for a change!!),and he was talking about going to China,and d'arcy asked him,half jokingly,if he would learn chinese.

Bishops answer........I would if I could get a tv show out of it.

Now he may have been messing,but that summed him up me.

Cannot stand the man,he just isn't funny at all.Over christmas he was on the telly,so thought,it's the season of goodwill,give it a chance,well,i could only stand 5 mins,before i had to change it,or the telly would be going through the window..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

saw him on saturday in bray. the show about his dad. I thought he was amusing and felt the show content was slightly morbid IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Des Bishop is the biggest gom ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Henno30

I used to think he was alright when I was younger, but in hindsight all he ever did was make dubious, pandering, observations about 'the Irish' to an easily impressed audience.

At least he tried to make some original television though, rather than churn out dreadful panel show performances week on week for the money. Or maybe he did? I can't really remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Galvasean wrote: »
    Where's the "He has his moments" option?

^^ this tbh! I am really fed up with the "omg he is so sh!t" notion about des, when he does his tv shows there is a theme behind them so he stays within that theme (but i will be the first to admit that US/Irish shtick has gotten old now)

but when he does straight stand up, no theme throughout he is very very funny, I wish he would go back to those days!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

I don't find Des Bishop the least bit funny as a comedian and I honestly can't understand how he has made a living from it. I saw him (12) years ago doing a free gig in DIT Bolton Street and he was ok, that was before the whole I only have one joke 'I am a yank living in Ireland' phase that pretty much killed his career in my eyes.

Big respect to him for seeing a chance to promote the Irish language/raise his profile/prolong his career/make a tv programme/get paid for doing nothing. A lot of people have very mixed views about it, some of which are negative. The reason for these nagative views has been attributed by many to people feeling inadequate about their own level of Irish.

This may be a part of it but the thing that gets me about him learning Irish, and the thing that nobody seems to comment on, is that the cost of going off for a year and learning Irish has not been taken into account. Just off the top of my head, for most people, it would consist of the following:-

a) giving up a paying job (not sure if this applies to Des cause he is a comedian)
    b) keeping yourself in terms of food and lodging during the year
    c) paying for the tuition fees
    d) travel expenses
    e) miscellaneous expenses
    f) any other commitments such as loans, mortgage etc. that people cant just walk away from and would have to be paid during the year

The point I am trying to make is that yes he did learn Irish and fair play to him for that, but he also got an opportunity that others didn't i.e. he didn't have to worry about the cost or his job or anything else for that matter.

I think that anyone who was given that opportunity would be fluent in Irish after a year no problem at all. Yes lets give him credit for what he did but lets also look at it in context and not blow it up to something it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Was being glib about Des Bishop.

He does indeed "have his moments".

My brother won a big boxing tournament awhile back and himself and a few of the other lads boxing asked Des if he would pose for a pic, he told them he was far too busy and if they wanted to talk to furthur bither him they would speak to him in Irish. So not only is he not funny but he's a tosser also.

Should add that I met him in a pub a year or so back and he kept trying to talk to people in Irish, he asked me could I speak the language and when I told him I don't see the point of conversing in dead languages he made an offhand remark about how much of a shame it was that I was so ignorant. I made the point to him that it was a shame that he struggled so hard to get a laugh considering his routine hasn't changed in a decade. Hard to know who the biggest tosser is, him or savage who is equally unfunny aswell as being aconceited git.

• Advertisement

My brother won a big boxing tournament awhile back and himself and a few of the other lads boxing asked Des if he would pose for a pic, he told them he was far too busy and if they wanted to talk to furthur bither him they would speak to him in Irish. So not only is he not funny but he's a tosser also.

Should add that I met him in a pub a year or so back and he kept trying to talk to people in Irish, he asked me could I speak the language and when I told him I don't see the point of conversing in dead languages he made an offhand remark about how much of a shame it was that I was so ignorant. I made the point to him that it was a shame that he struggled so hard to get a laugh considering his routine hasn't changed in a decade. Hard to know who the biggest tosser is, him or savage who is equally unfunny aswell as being aconceited git.

He is smug and extremely arrogant to say the least.

Advertisement