Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M7 - Castletown to Nenagh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kilinick

Sorry if this has been covered already but i was looking at google Maps on Iphone and coming from Kerry to Durrow it gave a route using Junction 20 at Aghaboe which doesnt exist as far as i can see...

Must be very confusing for tourists.

Anyone know what the plans are for Junction 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Stark wrote: »
    Serves them right for building private entrances onto a national route miles from anywhere.

those houses and their enterences are there for over a hundred years. long before it was a national route or any kind of route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭roosterman71

kilinick wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been covered already but i was looking at google Maps on Iphone and coming from Kerry to Durrow it gave a route using Junction 20 at Aghaboe which doesnt exist as far as i can see...

Must be very confusing for tourists.

Anyone know what the plans are for Junction 20?

Was removed due to money, and also it would mean lots of people using the road through Ballacolla and Abbeyleix for toll dodging. That road wouldn't be able for the extra traffic.

Hopefully, in the future, they'd build those junctions so you can move between the M7/M8

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The new section is great. A good bit still has to be finished (roadside/hard shoulder areas). I saw the unfinished overpass on the way down this afternoon.

I have to say thought this section is a lot better than the Borris - Portlaoise section apart from the LILO sections, particularly exit 22 northbound. And it looks as someone has had an accident already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

How is the McDonalds at Roscrea doing now? Have they put up advertising along the M7?

• Advertisement

The only advertising I saw was on the LILO for J22

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Furet wrote: »
    How is the McDonalds at Roscrea doing now? Have they put up advertising along the M7?

The advertised their distance from the junction extensively along the old N7 before the motorway opened and gave out voucher books with a map on them. Obviously hoping to retrain the regulars beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

Just wondering (as I am not familiar with the area), if those two dodgy junctions (22 and 23) were to be 'corrected', how big a job would it be? Is there any physical characteristics of the area that may prevent it or make it difficult?

Danke.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Got my first look at the junctions in Roscrea today. To say they are a joke doesn't do them justice. An absolute travesty in terms of design. 90 degree turn off a motorway, and then a 90 degree turn the opposite way - all up hill. Coming onto the motorway is worse. In the frosty conditions they'd be a nightmare, downhill and 2 sharp turns onto a motorway. Who the hell designed/signed off on that? Whoever it is shouldn't be let near any sort of design project again. :mad:

I agree with you, the engineer who signed off on this should be fired, along with his/her manager. The pictures taken during construction, informative as they are, simply cannot show the full scale of the problem. Add in a combination of ice and frost and they're a death trap.

At the very least, high-visibility warning signs should be installed well in advance. Not the right solution, but better than the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

NewHillel wrote: »
    At the very least, high-visibility warning signs should be installed well in advance. Not the right solution, but better than the current situation.

If those junctions are as crap as everyone here posts such signs are really needed. They use them a lot in US when ramps are tight.
    Big, yellow reflective boards with suggested low speed and some diagrams explaining how tight the ramp ii.

• Advertisement

Geogregor wrote: »
    If those junctions are as crap as everyone here posts such signs are really needed. They use them a lot in US when ramps are tight.
    Big, yellow reflective boards with suggested low speed and some diagrams explaining how tight the ramp ii.

Sign posts wont do enough as there needs to be suitable slowing down lanes and acceleration lanes

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

These junctions will have to be remodelled or rebuilt, sooner or later. They are very, very dangerous in their current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I have to admit I got a fright on the new stretch of M7 heading down for Christmas when a car came off the sideroad on one of those LILOs onto the joining lane at fast but legal speed. They didn't do anything wrong but as I had the road to myself and was cruising at 120 along the inside lane, it is a bit disconcerting to suddenly see a car come out of no-where looking like it is coming straight at you at a right angle. Of course it isn't actually doing that as it just continued onto the merging lane before joining the main carraigeway safely.

My initial instinct was to veer onto the outside lane abruptly which of course is not safe if there were overtaking cars on that lane. I didn't do that but I wonder if other drivers who also see cars coming at high speed, seemingly directly towards them at a right angle could make such a dangerous swerve. Perception is often everything! My sister who was with me also expressed shock of what the hell is that car doing coming at us even though it was doing exactly what the LILO is designed for. I am also now not a fan of these LILOs and also question why they were put there instead of the typical merging lanes on all other M-Ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Very good to read about major improvement re.journey.Many thanks but what is a LILO?:confused:

The Sticky Thread at the top of the Roads forum entitled TLAs Three Letter Acronyms gives definitions of all sorts of Road terms including LILOs. I have found it helpful in the past! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I drove from Limerick to Dundalk and back to Limerick the other day and had a close look at those LILO's and surprise surprise two of them were damaged.

One had the right support pole completely ripped from the ground. It's like the low slung car had taken out the pole and managed to avoid hitting the sign itself. Madness.

I now have a car with cruise control and the journey back down was a freakin dream. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I went to a friends house in Toomevara last night and went to there from Roscrea on the old N7 but coming out of Moneygall coming home I decided to go back on the M7.

The LILOs will take a bit of getting used to as you HAVE to take it slow right up until you get to the join-in lane on the M7. I see the sign at the Roscrea exit has been hit too.

I don't think they have half enough signs/warnings up to let people know the exits etc for Roscrea and Moneygall are so sharp and mabey it would help if they could put up decent warning signs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They need to educate people on the new 90 degree left exit signs they have on the LILOs. As most junctions will be like this in future they should do so immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

driving on the n62 today i spotted a car stopped on the LILO southbound with its hazards on, thus blocking the entire off ramp in a fairly blind bend.

Spongebob - do you mean LILO's will be all the junctions for the M20 ect or just for improved N roads?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They need to educate people on the new 90 degree left exit signs they have on the LILOs. As most junctions will be like this in future they should do so immediately.

Well shame on whoever approved this, then. By no stretch of the imagination are they appropriate, or safe, for motorways. Just because we're broke doesn't mean we should abandon good engineering practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just FYI, I was supposed to go to Carlow from Limerick tonight. Got as far as Nenagh (took 40 mins) and turned around to come back. The road markings and catseyes are covered.

The M7 is brutal.... Take care if you need to drive tonight.

I had a steak in Carlow with my name on it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

ACCIDENT!

Passed J23 (Moneygall) on the N7 south tonight at 7:45 and there was a car stuck in the barrier. Looked like it couldn't slow down sufficiently to take the exit, went straight through the red/white sticks and hit and damaged the armco barrier where it was wedged when I passed. Garda directing traffic on the LILO.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

This LILO. Does that mean that, at those entrance points and exit points, there are no slip roads and merely sharp turns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

ACCIDENT!

Passed J23 (Moneygall) on the N7 south tonight at 7:45 and there was a car stuck in the barrier. Looked like it couldn't slow down sufficiently to take the exit, went straight through the red/white sticks and hit and damaged the armco barrier where it was wedged when I passed. Garda directing traffic on the LILO.

Wow - that's a lot of misadventures only recently reported here in relation to J22 and J23. A newspaper article is imminent, where some local councillor will criticise the NRA and the NRA will defend itself, just as what happened when the Ennis Bypass was redesignated.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Furet wrote: »
    Wow - that's a lot of misadventures only recently reported here in relation to J22 and J23. A newspaper article is imminent, where some local councillor will criticise the NRA and the NRA will defend itself, just as what happened when the Ennis Bypass was redesignated.

My worry is that they will need to designate both of these exits as 100 km/h - a pity, but will be necessary to save lives...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

My worry is that they will need to designate both of these exits as 100 km/h - a pity, but will be necessary to save lives...

They will probably do that as a method of "resolving" the problem and it will do very little in reality. The junctions are a mess, end of.

My fear is that lives will be lost before anything is done. One doesn't have to be a Civil Engineer to see that these exits are extremely dangerous. Imagine a situation where there is ice and fog on that section and its an accident waiting to happen. I've now driven it four times and each time I feel stronger that a formal complaint is required. Anyone know who I should write to. (EU/national, I don't care at this stage.)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just needs what they have on sharp exits on NI DCs (which are 70mph generally). The exit itself has a cornering speed with no change on the mainline, "max exit speed 25mph" for the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

MYOB wrote: »
    Just needs what they have on sharp exits on NI DCs (which are 70mph generally). The exit itself has a cornering speed with no change on the mainline, "max exit speed 25mph" for the corner.

I've seen those signs often on LILOs on British dual-carriageways. They're usually advisory speed limits.

LILOs like those are acceptable on British dual-carriageways because there are so many of them that drivers expect them.

They're not acceptable on motorways because they're so rare and drivers don't expect them.

IMO, these M7 LILO junctions should be closed pending re-engineering works.

The reports of crashes etc show that it's only a matter of time before someone is killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Berty wrote: »
    I now have a car with cruise control and the journey back down was a freakin dream. :D

Good for you! But it's as useless as a condom in a convent on the M50 and N7 out as far as the M7 past Kildare!

But you're right, for the rest of the road it' feckin awesome, I get lots of sleep from that point on. :eek:;):p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think a formal campaign to get J22 and J23 on the M7 redesigned should get underway. They are a fatal accident waiting to happen.

I'm seriously considering writing a letter to the NRA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement