Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Infrastructure comes to the surface ...

• 03-01-2011 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Couldn't help but notice that the winter damage to the road surface in Ringsend is revealing what lies beneath! As you pass over the bridge in Ringsend you can see the old tram tracks underneath.

This got me wondering ... how much of the old tram network was paved over when the lines were discontinued or was it taken up? How much of it still exists. Per haps the guage-masters can tell us what guage it was

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

5'3" same as the train network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Theres a section of road in Naas that gets turned over every few years (beside the crossings petrol station) and it reveals a long since buried piece of rail from the Tullow branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

BrianD wrote: »
    Couldn't help but notice that the winter damage to the road surface in Ringsend is revealing what lies beneath! As you pass over the bridge in Ringsend you can see the old tram tracks underneath.

This got me wondering ... how much of the old tram network was paved over when the lines were discontinued or was it taken up? How much of it still exists. Per haps the guage-masters can tell us what guage it was

Funny that, I saw that on Monday evening and I was thinking of posting about it here. I didn't think trams would easily manage the bridge into Ringsend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

this may interest you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Funny that, I saw that on Monday evening and I was thinking of posting about it here. I didn't think trams would easily manage the bridge into Ringsend.

The 20th century buses were also having problems getting to Sandymount!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

The rail gauge in Ireland is 1600mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

NedNew2 wrote: »
    The rail gauge in Ireland is 1600mm.

5'3" actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

5'3" actually.

5'3" = 1600.02 mm (63 * 25.4)

Regarding Tram tracks they are still visible under a very thin layer of asphalt on Gilford Road in Sandymount (former Tram depot)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think the point was that the Board of Trade certainly didn't think in mm when selecting it. It just happens to be a conveniently round number in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

BrianD wrote: »

Any chance of a picture for Wiki?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

we need a Rail/transport Hereitage forum on Boards....requested a long time back now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

corktina wrote: »
    we need a Rail/transport Hereitage forum on Boards....requested a long time back now....

I know a rail enthusiasts forum was requested and I must admit to having absolutely no interest in that. However a rail/transport heritage forum is a completely different beast and is badly needed. Personally I have drawn on rail history to formulate many of my opinions of the present, so I would vigorously support its establishment.

Corktina, I'll assist in any efforts to get it established.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DWCommuter wrote: »
    rail/transport heritage forum
    On that point, there's a bit of tram tracks still visible nearby Leixlip village (an extension of the Dublin and Lucan Steam Tramway). What is now the 66 Dublin bus route used to be a tram route, more or less. If you Google bus routes by location name, and put "tram" after them, you'll get a few Wikipedia links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

The tracks in Inchicore are there also - used to be visible by the Tramyard complex (funny that).

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

5'3" actually.

1600 mm actually.

Le meas, you can use your old man measurements if you wish, I will stick with the more universal contemporary ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Here in Berlin they didn't bother covering the old tram tracks sometimes! In this case, this line was severed with the construction on the Berlin wall as the midpoint of this bridge was the border. A few hundred metres to the east and the trams still run. No trams run in the former west anymore, save for a recently completed short section.

Something I remembered about old infrastructure in Dublin, you can still see the old catenary supports in Chapelizod, though today they are used for street lighting and some have had their bases replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Any chance of a picture for Wiki?

Unfortunately, it was patched up quick quickly after the thaw.

Advertisement