Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anybody know where I can by a bottle of Angostura Bitters

• 16-12-2010 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Anybody know where I can by a bottle of Angostura Bitters in Ireland (Offaly if possible). Maybe around Birr

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I think I picked up the last bottle I got in the local SuperValu - not that hard to find really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I think I picked up the last bottle I got in the local SuperValu - not that hard to find really.
    Eh it is really hard to find. I've never seen it in any supervalue or any supermarket or any off-licence and I looked long and hard for months and months before finding it in Sainsburys in Newry during the summer.

Having said that, recently my local in Perrystown in Dublin got in a few bottles of it cause some company went to the wall in the UK so his supplier was shifting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

I picked up a 100ml bottle today for €6.99 in Lilac wines in fairview/marino, Dublin 3 if that's of any use to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

I got mine in that whiskey shop on Dawson Street, can't remember the name right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zeetuna

After a long search for it............
    Bought a bottle of Angostura Bitters today in Bradley's, North Main St, Cork. €15.99

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

€12.99 for it in Stack's in Listowel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pmcg343

they have it in Redmonds in ranelagh, Jus de vine, Deveneys in Rathmines and dundrum, the celtic whiskey shop and O Donavans........

zeetuna wrote: »
    After a long search for it............
    Bought a bottle of Angostura Bitters today in Bradley's, North Main St, Cork. €15.99
    BK92 wrote: »
    €12.99 for it in Stack's in Listowel :)

Are ye serious? That much money for one of these wee bottles:
    450px-angosturabittersbottle-jpg.jpeg

I got one for a fiver in Sainsburys in Newry - about a fiver in pounds I think at a time when that was say €5.50 or whatever.

What are ye using it for out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pmcg343

I use it for a pink gin - a couple of splashes into a Gin and Tonic - and a lemon and lime bitters(almost non alcoholic refreshing drink - lemonade, ice bitters, lemon or lime juice, and a lemon garnish). I read somewhere its great in puddings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Its good in a Manhattan, and a few dashes in a Mojito too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

Are ye serious? That much money for one of these wee bottles:

Unfortunately, yes.

However now I'm in Paris and it's about €6 -€7 :)

Bitters used to be like the secret ingredient in a cocktail and back when bartending was a skill a bartender would have a vast array of various bitters. Nowadays you'll be lucky if you find Agonstura on the back wall. I liken it to how a cook would use salt or pepper. It's there to help gel the ingredients together and accentuate flavours. Throw it in to any drink you're making to see how it turns out. You only need a dash or two before shaking or stirring.

Original real Martinis would've had a dash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Important ingredient in brandy and whiskey sours as well.

I brought a few bottles back from Trinidad a few years ago. Cost me about e1 a bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭adam240610

Sorry to bump such an old thread but has anyone had any luck finding these recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

Most decent Off licences will have them... O Briens stock several different types... :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

adam240610 wrote: »
    Sorry to bump such an old thread but has anyone had any luck finding these recently?

Any proper off-licence. Very big Supervalus (ex Superquinn basically). They aren't even vaguely hard to find compared to, say, Peychauds.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭adam240610

L1011 wrote: »
    Any proper off-licence. Very big Supervalus (ex Superquinn basically). They aren't even vaguely hard to find compared to, say, Peychauds.

There's an ex superquinn near me so will check in the coming days, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lemon lime bitters ftw.

Advertisement