Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January Intake

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 COPwanabe

got the pack today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sri19

Well done! Congrats! I thought Wednesday would have been the last day...had given up hope! Maybe tomorrow!lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 COPwanabe

theres always hope hope it works out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Seems like there will be no more calls or packs. Back to rage waiting again lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 luckyb123

what are your stats sri?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 luckyb123

1986 how do you know all the calls/packs are finished?

Just guessing I do not know.

Don't they normally go out over a 2-3 day period max?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sri19

My stats are RC ..merit 360-390 - medical passed & vetting passed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

1986j wrote: »
    Just guessing I do not know.

Don't they normally go out over a 2-3 day period max?

Thats correct - perhaps with the weather maybe 1 or 2 lucky folks may get a pack tomorrow but if not then it's back to waiting I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 minerdees

To all those who got the call for the next intake, WELL DONE. Welcome to the best thing you will ever do in your life. I am just finished my first week in the Hotel and it was awesome. I have been lucky to be in a really great squad and we all seem to get on really well. And this is the best piece of advice ( based on my small experience) try to get on with the rest of the squad. If you sit in your room moping around and not talking to anyone then you will quickly start to hate G,ville. You are all going to be living together for a month and spending most of the rest of the next six with each other. I know for a fact if I didn't I would not be going back next week.
    You will have a ball. This is the best job in the world and you will enjoy every minute of it. We in the reds (Reds Rule) will try to scare you with stories of show parades and all sorts of scary things. Take it all in your stride we are going through the same stories now from the courses ahead of us. Don't be afraid to come and talk to us we are all nice and won't bite you (well most of us).

Looking forward to seeing you all on your induction day.

PS Be on time for everything, and men shave every day ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks Minerdees , great to see someone in GV on here giving some advice - delighted to hear it's going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

I don't think it has really sunk in just yet gonna need to start the shopping list soon anyone else start to dislike their current job now as you know you have a start date lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pcplumb

Listen to twilightbella, I too have just finished my first week, what a week guys, lots to take in and long long long.... days. Its like being part of a big family, everyone bonding and helping eachother out is the key to success!
    Any questions judt PM me!

Good Luck and Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mahoney1

Out of interest, how many are in your intake pcplumb and twilightbella? Forgive me if I have missed this info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Contgrats ... so far this is the happiest thread I have seen on Boards coming out of Ireland for a while.

Well done you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

First week down, twenty to go! Listen to the good advice on the forum, but don't let things scare you. I was a little worried after being told how hard intake Sunday was going to be, but actually found it very enjoyable. To an extent, you have to sit back and let the whole thing wash over you.

If you're a little older than some of the sergeants or trainers, you need to accept that you need to take their word as gospel and don't answer back; some people can find authority difficult, but you really need to learn to live with it at Garnerville.

Bring plenty of thermals as its bloody freezing out on the parade square; the drill staff will be there to warm you up. The rooms are depressingly awful but it's all part of the experience.

Well done to everyone who has got or will get the call for January, Garnerville is what you make of it and personally I'm having a great time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Greasy

Have any of you guys heard anything about future intakes since starting last week??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dvc1976

A bolt of lightning out of the blue..........I'm going too -it's taken three years and a re-call!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kizwiz

dvc1976 wrote: »
    A bolt of lightning out of the blue..........I'm going too -it's taken three years and a re-call!!:cool:
    Well done dvc1976. See you there.

Congratulations - what do you mean by '' a re-call '' ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MrAnderson

So I stopped looking at this forum ages ago, so long ago that I don't recognise half you folk! I kept getting just average marks in the assessment process and was getting depressed quite frankly seeing everyone getting their callups.

So I just decided to plug on and see what happens, did ok in this years tests, and lo and behold I got vetting forms for the first time, then a medical letter landed on the doorstep. I was excited but wary from previous failures. Then it all stops with the freeze, bitterly disappointed, I effectively gave up as I knew that there were probably hundreds of people at least ahead of me in the queue so to speak.

So I resign myself to the fact that I will have to stay at my job and start looking for other opportunities, maybe there's other career paths out there....

And then a big brown envelope drops on the floor ;)

So it's taken a long time but for anyone who's still waiting, don't lose hope, the whole process is convoluted and awkward and goodness knows how things get organised at the end of the day, but you still might get that call out of the blue. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kizwiz

When did you get the call Mr Anderson? Are you still at G'ville? Any advice for us new recruits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MrAnderson

No no, the big brown envelope only dropped at the weekend there :D

I'm in the same position as you guys now, totally out of the blue....

And I'm so flamin excited!!!

delancey42 wrote: »
    Congratulations - what do you mean by '' a re-call '' ?

I got a "Dear John" in January 2008 from C13. But then in the summer just past, I received a phone call asking if I would be willing to re-sit medical and re-submit vetting............
    Scraping the bottom of the barrel?? :p

I got a "Dear John" in January 2008 from C13. But then in the summer just past, I received a phone call asking if I would be willing to re-sit medical and re-submit vetting............

I have to say I have not heard of that before but then this process is constantly throwing up surprises ;) Well done !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Were you in the present campaign c15?

If so were where you on the merit list?

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Were you in the present campaign c15?

If so were where you on the merit list?

no, I'm not in the present campaign, I applied again in 2008, but then secured what I thought was a "job for life" with good prospects so I withdrew...

I have been appointed on my score from c13......

Are you RC?

1986j wrote: »
    Are you RC?

actually, I'm a devout atheist!!

I'm from an RC family, but I'm not from NI so fall into the "other" category;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

no, I'm not in the present campaign, I applied again in 2008, but then secured what I thought was a "job for life" with good prospects so I withdrew...

I have been appointed on my score from c13......

Seems an unusual situation, but lucky aul you.

Advertisement