Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

December Boards Foldathon

• 08-12-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

What is the Foldathon:
    Ok, so last month wasn't our greatest (out of the two we've had so far :p), but December should be something special. We've got 20 active Folders for the team at the moment, and 21 Folders signed up. Plus, it's winter, and with the weather we're having, why not fire up another rig to bring some heat into the house? :)

So, 158k in October and 113k in November; let's try and do a bit better this time around, alright? :D

How it works:
    Run Folding@home for team boards.ie (number 39432) during the specified times. If you don't know what Folding@home is, feel free to make a thread in the forum or check these guides:

What is Folding?
    CPU Folding
    GPU Folding

When?:
    Wednesday December 22nd (5pm), until Friday December 24th (5pm).

Sign-Up:
    No need to sign up again if you took part last month.

> Sign up Link HERE <

Current sign ups

Stats Graph

Sig Link:
    [php]biggrin.gif Join the December Boards.ie Foldathonbiggrin.gif[/php]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Are people ignoring me? wth.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'm already signed up! :p Besides, no change to my folding capabilities until the OpenCL client finally launches whenever next year! :o

Right... seems the Foldathon is going to have to be delayed:

Source
    One of our main server rooms will be undergoing maintenance on December 16, 2010. This will mean some of the FAH servers will be off line on that day. It looks like most of the key FAH infrastructure will be up, but there will likely be WU shortages on that day since a large fraction of machines will be down.

We are working to optimize what we can by distributing jobs to servers in other server rooms, but we wanted to give donors a heads up in advance so they know this is coming.

So... how about a weekend Foldathon instead? Friday to Sunday? :D

Fine by me :) I'm only really gaming on XBox at the moment anyway :o

Bah, no gaming for me for another week I'm guessing. So plenty of points coming in it seems. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I game at the weekends and work during the week so a weekday foldathon is a much better option for me!

So... Thursday to Saturday (16th-18th) then? :p

Um, zo, Stanford might have an issue with that... :o:p

<---- Idiot who forgot why we changed the dates in the first place.

Right... well... ideas anyone?

I won't be able to do it 20th-22nd, but any other dates this month are fine with me. If we're taking out weekends, we've got 3 options:

• 13th-15th (a bit soon though...)
    • 23rd-25th (CHRISTMAS!)
    • 27th-29th

What suits you lot best? :p

Weekends :pac:

• Advertisement

Alright, I'll be fair.

1 guy for weekends, one guy against. Next person to pop in and share their opinion shapes the schedule. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Any time before Christmas would suit me so I vote for next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

I completely forgot about this until today :o. Still, I did have the ps3 folding on and off for the last couple of days. Could a pm the night before be arranged? That would help my scattered head a lot (or I could always set an alarm on my phone):P

I think I can manage a few PMs. ;)

Ok, anyone object to 22nd-24th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Nope.

Right, I'm gonna say that's unanimous agreement then. :D

Aaaaannndd I can't edit the OP anymore. :pac:

We'll hang on a few days and see what a better consensus is and I'll change it then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Its fine with me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Fire ahead. (though thats just the day I get off, but anyway :P)

Dates changed in the OP as there were no objections, and to give everyone a week's notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This may be a really stupid question, but the folding at home thing on the PS3, does that sync up with this? I like the idea of being helpful and if I could use that I'd be game?

Dates changed in the OP as there were no objections, and to give everyone a week's notice.

Thanks aidan. :)
    RedXIV wrote: »
    This may be a really stupid question, but the folding at home thing on the PS3, does that sync up with this? I like the idea of being helpful and if I could use that I'd be game?

Yeah, that works fine. Just make sure to sign the form in the OP, and you're ready to go. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Only able to chip in a full day + a few hours this time around :(, still I hope to put at least three WU in the basket by 5pm friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Cool got it up and running, looking forward to helping out :)

marco_polo wrote: »
    Only able to chip in a full day + a few hours this time around :(, still I hope to put at least three WU in the basket by 5pm friday.

As long as there's not a 0. It's all appreciated. ;)
    RedXIV wrote: »
    Cool got it up and running, looking forward to helping out :)

Cool... should be a few newbies this month then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Sorry lads I'll be out of this one. :( We're leaving the country and won't be back until January, and I'm unplugging everything electronic 'cos I'm just paranoid. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I just came back to the PC to see my 8800gtx running at 116C :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

BeciMester wrote: »
    Sorry lads I'll be out of this one. :( We're leaving the country and won't be back until January, and I'm unplugging everything electronic 'cos I'm just paranoid. :D

Ah well... I'm not gonna ask you to risk anything for Folding. Yet. ;)
    I just came back to the PC to see my 8800gtx running at 116C :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Nicely done. Wait... that's not good is it?

Also, my PS3 points aren't registering at the moment. Hopefully it's just Stanford servers and they'll all be recreditted soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

zodac wrote: »
    Nicely done. Wait... that's not good is it?

Nope... the fan keeps doing weird things, vanishing, it came back a while ago and the temp is now down to 58C, it's nearly on par with the CPU@load....

I think there's a dry solder on the GPU fan... only explaination for it turning on/off randomly under heat. :(

• Advertisement

Nope... the fan keeps doing weird things, vanishing, it came back a while ago and the temp is now down to 58C, it's nearly on par with the CPU@load....

I think there's a dry solder on the GPU fan... only explaination for it turning on/off randomly under heat. :(

I've got that on my 9800GT (or something similar at least). Every once in a while the fan will just stop working for a few minutes, and temps will soar. Then it kicks in again. :confused:

Advertisement