Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best guitar songs to play at a party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Hang, only clicked those links there, and Asturias? Are you serious? Like I hate cheesy overplayed songs, but something that self-indulgent is ridiculous.

I'm talking about half-sing along half-enjoy listening to songs being the best happy medium. Not being forced to listen to, want to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Hang, only clicked those links there, and Asturias? Are you serious? Like I hate cheesy overplayed songs, but something that self-indulgent is ridiculous.

I completly understand why these songs couldn't be played at a house party but it's certainly not cheesey, it just shows wonderful technique and skill which most people don't understand and brush off as self indulgent/overplayed songs

bazmaiden wrote: »
    I completly understand why these songs couldn't be played at a house party but it's certainly not cheesey, it just shows wonderful technique and skill which most people don't understand and brush off as self indulgent/overplayed songs

I wasn't calling them overplayed and cheesy, I'm calling Wonderwall that. Just so you know, I've actually got my grade 8 in classic, and actually played Asturius in a masterclass with Ana Vidovic (the player in that video), so don't lump me into the people that 'don't understand' it. I still wouldn't remotely think of taking out a guitar to play something like that at a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

I wasn't calling them overplayed and cheesy, I'm calling Wonderwall that. Just so you know, I've actually got my grade 8 in classic, and actually played Asturius in a masterclass with Ana Vidovic (the player in that video), so don't lump me into the people that 'don't understand' it. I still wouldn't remotely think of taking out a guitar to play something like that at a party.

cool story bro.

Anyway for me playing at a party is about finding the balance of playing a great song that either people know, or will want to know after you play.

Like I played "needle and the damage done" wednesday night in Naas and most people were saying "hey man, what was that song about the needle etc."

And surely thats better than playing Oasis or having a guitar ****!

Like I played "needle and the damage done" wednesday night in Naas and most people were saying "hey man, what was that song about the needle etc."

Cool story bro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Could be the start of a beautiful bromance.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

So I think we're all agreed that every one of us could wow people with our incredible talent, but we choose not to at a party :D

I Want It That Way.

Works every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

My 2 cents:

Most Neil Young Songs to get the harmonica out to aswell.

Let It Be - (John Denver version)

Come And Go Blues - Gregg Allman/ABB (open D tuning and sounds amazing)

No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley

Fortunate Son - CCR

Your Decision - Alice In Chains

Free Bird/Sweet Home Alabama/Travelin' Man/ Tuesdays Gone - Skynyrd

All relatively easy going and sound good to play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Take It On The Run - REO Speedwagon

Initially everyone will go 'NOOOOO!'
    But they'll all join in for the chorus, it's a guilty pleasure!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Great solo in that song. Very underrated in the pantheon of great solos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Johnny Cash, he strikes exactly the right balance between "cool" and "mainstream" so that everyone can join in.

Folsom Prison Blues and Ring of Fire are 2 of my favourites to lash out.

As for Oasis, f*ck it is cliched and I hate Wonderwall myself but they have many other great tunes, I usually play Married With Children and Talk Tonight.

Been throwing in Where is My Mind by the Pixies recently too.

Hate pricks that call out songs at parties they expect you to play, just let whoever has the guitar play what they feel people will like, none of this "do you know this...do you know that?!". Lets hear some songs you learned mate....

niallo24 wrote: »
    Can't believe no-one has mentioned Johnny Cash, he strikes exactly the right balance between "cool" and "mainstream" so that everyone can join in.

Folsom Prison Blues and Ring of Fire are 2 of my favourites to lash out.

As for Oasis, f*ck it is cliched and I hate Wonderwall myself but they have many other great tunes, I usually play Married With Children and Talk Tonight.

Been throwing in Where is My Mind by the Pixies recently too.

Hate pricks that call out songs at parties they expect you to play, just let whoever has the guitar play what they feel people will like, none of this "do you know this...do you know that?!". Lets hear some songs you learned mate....

Ah now in fairness sometimes people do point you in the direction of a gem that you'd forgotten you knew yourself. There is no need for autocratic guitar playing. But the drunken flute getting stuck into you for not knowing/refusing to play 'Come out ye Black and Tans' is a real annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Ah now in fairness sometimes people do point you in the direction of a gem that you'd forgotten you knew yourself. There is no need for autocratic guitar playing. But the drunken flute getting stuck into you for not knowing/refusing to play 'Come out ye Black and Tans' is a real annoyance.

There is absolutely nothing more annoying than That Guy at a party who wants to sing songs like that. Usually just unaccompanied, sean-nós style, and everyone has to stop talking and listen to him because, sure, tis an ould rebel song. Now that WILL kill a party.

For me, Whitney's "I wanna Dance with Somebody" always goes down a treat. Or the theme from Home & Away

Holmer wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing more annoying than That Guy at a party who wants to sing songs like that. Usually just unaccompanied, sean-nós style, and everyone has to stop talking and listen to him because, sure, tis an ould rebel song. Now that WILL kill a party.

For me, Whitney's "I wanna Dance with Somebody" always goes down a treat. Or the theme from Home & Away

Hahaa!!

This recently appeard on my radar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I was going to begin my 2 Cents on this topic with "in my opinion", but it's not opinion. It's 15 years of observation, and ample, endless demonstration of seeing delusional guitarists bomb at parties.

A party is a party, not a gig. It seems to me that there are 3 categories of people debating on this thread:

a) - guitarists who play obscure, technical pieces at parties
    b) - guitarists who play semi-recognisable, but non-anthemic songs
    c) - guitarists who endeavour to make every song recognisable, and thereby inclusive to the revelers.

Some of the thread commenters falling into category 'b' are trying to convince us (or perhaps themselves) that they're somehow the voice of reason between two extremes, or a happy medium of sorts. In my experience, they bomb just as spectacularly as the musos in category 'a'.

I recently attended a party with a few guitarists, one of whom has lead duties with a prominent 'nearly' band from the Irish scene. He honestly couldn't understand why he was being practically booed into submission. He began by playing his own stuff, and when that lead-ballooned, fell back upon some technical Stone Roses and Hendrix renditions -- none of them crowd pleasing or sing-along.

Visibly frustrated by mounting indifference and criticism, he made what he thought was a final concession into pop. When one bird finally asked, "will you play something we know?", he replied in exasperation, "it's the f*cking Beatles." But in my opinion, she was right and he was wrong, because whilst he was indeed playing The Beatles (my favourite band), it was something obscure from their catalogue, unfamiliar to casual fans.

It's not a competition, but I stuck to the hits and wiped the floor with him that night, as has happened at every party where I've had to share guitar duties with someone who deviates from the ethos of inclusion. Tiny windows of opportunity can arise for a sliver of self-indulgence (e.g. when the last 2 people at 6:00 am, half-awake, yawn "play something you like to play"), but generally there is no room for self indulgence at a party: it's atmosphere versus onanism.

I wholeheartedly agree that Wonderwall is done to death at parties, but accepting it as the benchmark of ultimate party cliché, is anybody really suggesting that it DOESN'T unite pretty much any party -- anywhere in the Western world -- at 3:00 am in chorus? There's a hundred songs I'd rather be playing, but when somebody asks me to play it at a party (which usually happens), I'm not going to ignore their request just so I can destroy the atmosphere by proving I have more technical and less popular pieces in my repertoire.

To reiterate, a party is an inclusive experience. Lots of guitarists delude themselves that it is a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

the simple easy recognisable sh+t is the way to go that people can sing along and enjoy, there the food uns

i did just learn and make a video of lady gagas bad romance there, its damn easy to play with a few simple chords! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ysJHmcRzI ...a plug, surely not

roxanne is an awsome song to do, you can make a drinking game of it too, everytime the word roxanne is said the men stand up drink and sit down... when "put on a red light" is said, the ladies drink nad stand up... its a bita fun

-=al=- wrote: »
    the simple easy recognisable sh+t is the way to go that people can sing along and enjoy, there the food uns

i did just learn and make a video of lady gagas bad romance there, its damn easy to play with a few simple chords! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ysJHmcRzI ...a plug, surely not

roxanne is an awsome song to do, you can make a drinking game of it too, everytime the word roxanne is said the men stand up drink and sit down... when "put on a red light" is said, the ladies drink nad stand up... its a bita fun

What are the chords do you use Roxanne? I find the Police stuff tricky enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I'm only a novice guitar player but I've been to plenty of parties :) My take on it would be to choose a song that everyone can sing along to. It can be an obscure song if the chorus is easy to pick up. I was at a family party recently and one of the guests played a folk song none of us had heard before called Wheel of Fortune, with a lot of intricate finger style picking in it. It was an instant hit because the chorus was this:
    19, 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, and a 5, 3, 1
    20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, none.
    So the lesson for me was you can successfully take on something that is obscure or has a technical guitar part if you remember it's a party - not an audition - and everyone is there to enjoy themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

What are the chords do you use Roxanne? I find the Police stuff tricky enough.

Theres an easy enough way with just a few chords, its all in G minor

G7sus4 for the start

the main bit is Gmin > Dmin > Ebmaj7 > Dmin > Cmin > F7sus4 > G7sus4

mess around with that for a bit, listne to the song to figure it out its handy enough

Chorus is Cmin > Bbmaj > Eb > Fmaj > Gmin

thats it really, easy peasy

-=al=- wrote: »
    Theres an easy enough way with just a few chords, its all in G minor

G7sus4 for the start

the main bit is Gmin > Dmin > Ebmaj7 > Dmin > Cmin > F7sus4 > G7sus4

mess around with that for a bit, listne to the song to figure it out its handy enough

Chorus is Cmin > Bbmaj > Eb > Fmaj > Gmin

thats it really, easy peasy

Cheers al. I'll have to mess around with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

And you're the guy who probably plays oasis or greenday:rolleyes:

Nice assumption. I don't really like playing at parties, because I don't know how to play a lot of the songs that people 'want to hear'. But if I'm pushed or suitably drunk, I'd go with Kiss by Prince, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 1, Cry Me A River, Nina Gordon's version of Straight Outta Compton or Ben Fold's version of Bitches Ain't ****.

I don't like the whole 'PLAY FOR US' bit of parties - no, I'll play what I like, thank you. But then I know that attitude isn't very good at a party, so I don't usually play at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

So I think we're all agreed that every one of us could wow people with our incredible talent, but we choose not to at a party :D

I Want It That Way.

Works every time.

Nice one!

Dunno if you've heard this one before, you might wanna Irish up the lyrics a bit but it's funny stuff! You might consider your audience before breaking it out at a party though, you could be a hero or villian!

I Want A Fat Babe:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

How nobody has mentioned AC/DC in at least the first three pages is beyond me..
    Here's what i would play.
    AC/DC - You shook me all night long/back in black/rosie/highway to hell
    Status Quo- Rockin all over the world/Down down
    Free- All Right now
    Guns n roses- Sweet child of mine
    CCR- Proud Mary
    TREX- Bang a gone get it on
    The Who- My generation/ pinball wizard
    Rolling Stones- Jumpin jack flash
    The Kinks- You really got me
    Chuck berry- Johnny b goode./school days
    U2-Where the streets have no name
    Lynyrd Skynyrd- Sweet home alabama
    Nirvana- Teenage spirit
    Blur- Song 2
    Jimi Hendrix/Bob Dylan- All Along the Watchtower
    Elvis Presley -Jailhouse Rock
    Fleetwood Mac- Tomorrow

And forget Oasis, I hate them with a passion and not into the new stuff at all.
    Old school, classic rock all the way.. \m/:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

on an acoustic??

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

furiousox wrote: »
    on an acoustic??

Was just about to say!

Yeah just go on and bang out the marshall stack there at 2 in the morning!!

furiousox wrote: »
    on an acoustic??
    well, it depends.. if you bring an electric guitar too, it sounds just as good as an acoustic minus the amp..

I play my gibson sg's unplugged a lot of the time, just to practice, then , later on, when I feel im delivering.. i plug straight into my marshall!:D

or, alternatively, if you can carry a marshall.. :)

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Was just about to say!

Yeah just go on and bang out the marshall stack there at 2 in the morning!!

Now that would be cool.. just like the guy did in Jackass, he had his band in the bedroom where his parents slept, and them woke them up with the sound of crashing guitars and loud drums!!:D

How I would love a marshall stack.. And a JTM 45 100W head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Van Morrison - Moondance
    Don McLean- American Pie
    The Animals - We Gotta Get out of This Place
    Reef - Place Your Hands
    Arlo Guthrie - Coming into Los Angeles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ianwhelan7

Id recommend arranging some tunes yourself
    Muse - Feeling good
    Hanson - Mbpop
    Aretha Franklin - Say a little Prayer
    Arctic Monkeys Love Machine

If your really out to impress
    Andy Mckee - Rylynn
    Mason Williams - Classical Gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

There's nothing which spells the end to a good party like the guy who whips out his guitar to **** over some Zeppelin.

Advertisement